LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Found out by accident that Aldi liquid hand wash soap works really well far better than the proper travel wash stuff. Hand wash in warm water rinse in cold of warm water.
Last van had a bike rack, made a good drying rack.

Tomorrow Aldi had a portable rotary dryer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
While fulltime we tried several methods.. camp site laundrette , steep in a bucket then hand wash and a spin drier .. fine in summer.. not so good in UK winter .. that was when I bought and fitted a slim-line Candy automatic top loader washing machine.. ..

RV long since gone, Turkey I believe.. probably housing immigrants or transporting ISIL fighters to Syria .. :rolleyes:

anyways.. Hymer too small for such luxury.. so have invested in the Mk1 Victory Posser.. with a big bucket..

http://www.objectlessons.org/houses-and-homes-victorians/posser-victorian-original/s59/a971/

and it works a treat ..

11659277_1625112051036493_8060563622805722783_n.jpg

10155000_1625112104369821_6688052627208206459_n.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
All this going on about possers reminded me that Jenny and my eldest daughter Corinne have always used the potato masher as a posser. Saves the trouble of carrying a purpose made item!

Allows them more room for clothes and shoes I think!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The device of choice at Marjal 2 years agi was a rubber sink unblocker with small holes bored in it. Seemed to work well and lighter than a proper posser- cheaper too at the local China shop.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The device of choice at Marjal 2 years agi was a rubber sink unblocker with small holes bored in it. Seemed to work well and lighter than a proper posser- cheaper too at the local China shop.
I like it. Every item on a motorhome should have at least two uses. Apart, perhaps, for the bottle opener:D

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We go away for several weeks at a time, are usually on aires and very seldom have electricity so I wash by hand in the kitchen sink every two or three days and hang washing up to dry on string lines which go between hooks across the back of the cab. We drive with the windows open, the washing blows merrily as we go along - job done. I have done bedlinen and towels this way but if we come across a launderette or a supermarket with washing machines then all the big stuff goes in there.

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
During our recent month in France we used washing machines on a site twice. 4 euros each time. The machines weren't very big though. In future we would look for one's in towns though. Hadn't thought of supermarkets.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could always use a salad spinner to get excess water from your lingerie (and socks).

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
You could always use a salad spinner to get excess water from your lingerie (and socks).

Does this actually work ? I' ve seen it suggested but don' t know if it does remove enough water to make it worth carting a salad spinner away with us.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Does this actually work ? I' ve seen it suggested but don' t know if it does remove enough water to make it worth carting a salad spinner away with us.

Just go commando. Problem solved :D(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My friend tells me it does.

I have used a net bag (the type that fruit is often sold in) and put light stuff in that and got someone else to spin it round above their head. That gets rid of a surprising amount of water. Just make sure the bag is securely closed and don't let go or you make a few new "friends" :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My friend tells me it does.

I have used a net bag (the type that fruit is often sold in) and put light stuff in that and got someone else to spin it round above their head. That gets rid of a surprising amount of water. Just make sure the bag is securely closed and don't let go or you make a few new "friends" :)
I would shake the hand of any man strong enough to wave my mrs's drawers above his head. a good gust of wind and he would be hang gliding or parascending

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I have used a net bag (the type that fruit is often sold in) and put light stuff in that and got someone else to spin it round

I'll go and get a Poundland net laundry bag and have a go with this. A good tip, thanks.

Compared with some of the peculiar things we've seen happen on campsites over Europe, this should not even raise an eyebrow !

I do hope your OH isn' t reading your posts Big1 or you might find yourself doing your own washing for the foreseeable future....

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We left there last Wednesday and, as we left, the rep from the barrier firm arrived with his computer to try and get the system working. Excellent aire, beautifully maintained with one very frustrated owner. Hope it has been sorted. We felt for the owner !

Did you cycle the Voie Verte across the road ?

OT: I try to keep on top of the washing while we are away by doing lots of little hand washes in a bucket, using the same bio laundry liquid that we use for the loo. This has the advantage that it doesn't make any foam so is easy to rinse with less water used. Bed clothes and towels are done in a launderette or campsite laundry though I don' t like the latter as you often get white scum left on clothes because people have used powder and it has not dissolved properly - I think. I only carry one spare set of bed clothes and towels no matter how long we are away for but do carry far more clothes than I ever wear.
He obviously didn't get it working as when we were there Tuesday it still wasn't in use

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
In the summer, or France, I hand wash and dry.
In the winter I use a washer & dryer, laundromat or similar.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use chemical free soap nuts. They are very economical and environmentally friendly. My husband made me a washing machine and I bought a mangle from ebay. Job done.
???

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't like to have to wash when away on holiday, even for a few weeks, so have enough undies for the duration (yes really!) and try to take clothes that are light and pack small so we can take enough. Apart from undies, the items that tend to get dirtiest are our daily washing towels so we use small ones/flannels which can be changed every few days; being small they are easier to store, both when clean and dirty. They are also useful for when having a good strip wash, or even shower, for washing and drying certain parts of anatomy as they can be put in with the dirty washing afterwards (I would hate to use a normal towel again if it's been used for drying 'nether' regions previously, no matter how clean you were at the time!).

Another way of drying things which you've washed out by hand quicker is to put them in a microfibre towel, roll it up and give it a good 'wring' - it's surprising just how much water transfer to the towel and drying it and the washed items takes half the time it would otherwise.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I still have a few travel washing machines in stock. Our usual price is £79.99 which is the lowest around. But for Funsters I will knock £10 off if collected from me in Leeds.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We take some of our decent clothing and use launderetttes if they get too dirty.
But in the main we take old stuff with us and when it's dirty just throw it away and if needed buy cheap stuff off markets or in supermarkets.
We go away for 3 or 4 months during the winter and the system works for us.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Washing machine ( MH one ) in garage plumbed in running off inverter. Been away now 139 days works a treat. Arrived in location one hour ago machine on solar replacing power...... and cheap Aldi bio liquid smelling nice............ Simples

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
dolly-tub-01.jpg

My dad had his own workshop and in the 50's built my mother a 'washing machine'- a galvanised tub with a posser mounted inside, pounding the washing up and down.

It worked but looked pretty dangerous - mechanically and electrically

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun