Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hi all

I wanted to explain an issue I've been battling with that has now been solved but I would appreciate the views of others to check I was right and not just being a pain!

I bought some kit from a seller who lots of people on here buy from and appear to appreciate. I used the kit travelling through France and Spain some months ago and then put it in a cupboard whilst not using it. After a few months I got it out and it didn't work so I got in touch with the supplier who was very good in giving advice. After much mucking about I was told to 'unscrew the top from the bottom' and therein lies the problem! I then tried to unscrew the top from the bottom and wrecked the kit! What I should have been told to do was unscrew the cap from the bottom. I returned the kit and the supplier refused to put things right claiming I shouldn't have tried to unscrew the top from the bottom! In the end I contacted the citizens advice bureau and as I had bought the item with my credit card and they told me to should claim from my credit card company. This I did and I've received a full refund.

The question is; was I in the right?

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
so long as you got your refund , like you say you should have been told to remove the cap not the top,,, so the seller might gain from putting some instructions in with the item, with a picture / diagram in the future in case it happens with more customers in the future...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Difficult to say who "was in the right" given the amount of information. As John says, "cap" and "top" could easily be confused over the phone. Too many unknowns. Would it be reasonably obvious to the man in the street that the "cap" could be unscrewed but the "top" couldn't? What conditions was the "kit" subject to during its months in a cupboard and how did they contribute to the fact that something which worked when supplied no longer did so?

The fact that the CAB advised obtaining a refund from the credit card company could be read as them thinking a claim against the supplier was less likely to succeed. Maybe a case of them judging it to be nobody's fault, just an unfortunate result of a simple misunderstanding.

Probably one for you to put down to experience and, as said above, one for the supplier to learn from in revising user instructions.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In my opinion the seller was at fault for involving you in the repair process, a simple return for inspection and or repair would have seen both parties sarisfied.
It is bad practice to involve any customer in the repair of any item, he should be satisfied he is not being held liable for damages or injury that may have ensued

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Thanks guys, just to confirm though, the instructions were sent via email so it was very clear! CAB very sure that I was in the right but if supplier wouldn't sort the problem then go for credit card company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i disagree in that you damaged the item as you didnt understand how to dismantle it. but why would you know how. the seller should not have suggested you dismantle the item. It failed within the warranty period so it should be replaced or repaired by the seller

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back