Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I didn't get to see the old one he didn't even give me the receipt for the new one which trading standards did tell me I have a right to or at minimum a copy of it as it's also a guarantee

I'm going to phone them on Monday and request that

I don't blame you.

I bet they've thrown the old part away by the time you get there though.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Now you have named them I've changed the title of this thread to protect us both. Leave a full and honest review on the site but please be careful about terms such as "Garage Rip Off" unless of course you can prove it to be so.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I know its of no help now but maybe for the future if they still work on motorhomes (last time I used them was in 2015) I used to have our rv serviced (not habitation) at M-Line in Alloa. They run a coach tour business and there was a chap there that did just motorhome service work. Could obviously take all size vans and they sold some cvs also.
www.m-line.co.uk

Feel your pain, I normally do all my own work but couple of years ago with our car I needed work done in a hurry that i'd no time to do and was very disappointed with the result from the local garage, kicked myself for a long time afterwards.

Probably just have to put it down to bad judgment and try to forget about it, hard I know after spending over a grand. Otherwise it will just eat away at you.

Shawn

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight Comment regarding seeing the replaced part. I always showed replaced parts to customers and informed them that unless an exchange item it was in my opinion their property. Don't remember anyone taking anything away.

I totally agree - it's just a shame that not all folk have your outstanding ethics and principles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
It was touring caravan services in glenrothes Fife
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I avoid them when it's my turn. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a good Fiat "professional" and motorhome service place in central scotland anywhere as I'm struggling to find somewhere offering knowledgeable and reasonable service.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I,m always wary of the firms that offer deals for combined services.

Its usually a load of spin, you would have been better finding a mechanical garage JUST for the engine that has been recommended and forget the habitation waste of money.
Better to just then take it to someone and say''Will you check my gas system etc or service my fridge flue and nothing else''. The rest of the habitation check is a money making racket.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I lived in Kuwait the local garages always returned to you the original of any item they replaced. So if they needed to replace say a fuel pump you would find your old pump in a box in the boot.
Too late now but if you could have seen the old fuel filter housing it might have helped, as that job would have been what pushed the bill up so high. If it was split there was no way you would driven there, spraying fuel over everything.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you check with any motorhome /fiat garage the filter will be around the £250 mark unless you buy it direct off e bay,.you should have kept the old one as a spare.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If when you ask to see the old one they tell you that they have binned it , i would check with the council or whoever empties their bins, what day they do so on. unless ofc its a week since you got said work carried out.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I do a round trip of around 450 miles to have my service & hab check - because I trust the guy and he charges a fair price. He's also done other work for me as well to an excellent standard. I won't embarrass him here, but he offers discounts to Funsters and is very well known on the forum. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I treat the trip as a break - and also manage to get my Christmas shopping done without swmbo in tow! Yes I know there's a fuel cost involved but when you do over 10,000 miles a year it's not a lot in the overall picture.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I do a round trip of around 450 miles to have my service & hab check - because I trust the guy and he charges a fair price. He's also done other work for me as well to an excellent standard. I won't embarrass him here, but he offers discounts to Funsters and is very well known on the forum. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I treat the trip as a break - and also manage to get my Christmas shopping done without swmbo in tow! Yes I know there's a fuel cost involved but when you do over 10,000 miles a year it's not a lot in the overall picture.

Same here, Ipswich to Cheltenham for service and mot. motorhome medics. Fit it in as part of a holiday.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Their quote from their site,
"Our main aim is to cut your cost drastically compared to main dealer repair and servicing bills."

If that was their "AIM" then all I can say is they're bloody awful shots.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I can't always get back to where my trusted garages are so on occasion I have used whatever is local. I seem to have a 50/50 hit/miss ratio on good to bad.
One in particular ripped me off heavily. I live by the philosophy you can't get ahead while you are trying to get even. So now when I discover a bad one I vote with my wallet.
I will travel 100's of miles to use a good one and travel 100's of miles to avoid the bad ones. It's a sad state of affairs unfortunately.

How many hours of your time will it take to get a refund of the difference even if it is possible. How much do you value your time.. I understand that some people will spend more on getting the money back than the actual value for reasons of fairness, vengeance or justice etc.. I am of the mind life is too short and now put it down to an expensive lesson.

This year I have started mechanicing for myself as I don't trust the local garage where I am. When a job is beyond me I have a good friend who is an amazing help ( @Wildbill ) and from working side by side with him on some jobs there is not much I won't have a go at myself now. However for brakes and suspension I still go to my favourite, reliable and inexpensive team at Retford. They are located right next to a major autofactors so getting parts on the fly is just so convenient and even including the diesel/time costs they still work out cheaper and more convenient.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Please don't take this as Smart Alec or Wise after The Event post.

I am constantly astounded by the posts on here referring to the need for "Experts" on gas, vehicle servicing, hab repairs, modifications, etc and yet almost no-one questions what qualifies someone as an "Expert". There are only two kinds of recommendation that are worthwhile (and the first is much better than the second). The first is a recommendation by a number of other owners that a particular establishment will go above and beyond with the quality of work and customer service they provide. The second is provided by published qualifications (which, in the case of a hab service, can be hard to find I suspect. I know about NCC Certification.) The motor trade in general has an horrific reputation for the quality of its work and the prices it charges. A habitation service is worthless unless a written report on what, in great detail, has been checked.

Most Experts are such because they say they are and not because they have experience, a proven track record, and suitable qualifications. How many owners, for example, question exactly what was checked and how the checks were done by an expert performing a Gas Test? Or the detailed measurements and where they were taken for a Damp Check? Why should any establishment dispose of your property before you have seen it and given them permission to do so? Until owners start to make life very uncomfortable for Dealers and Service Centres nothing will improve. Find a good place and they will be delighted that you take an interest. Use a bad one and they will try to have you out the door before you can cause them embarrassment or worse.

We are motorhomers and we range all over this country and others. It is therefore no great inconvenience to drive the length of the UK if that's what it takes to use a decent service engineer. Because of the relatively low mileage covered by our vehicles servicing is rarely time-critical and should fit into a trip to somewhere.

I'll declare an interest here: I haven't been to any Expert for anything - ever. The reason for that, apart from my own enjoyment and interest, is that by the time I have researched what needs, and what I expect, to be done I have the information to do it myself. That approach isn't for everyone and we should all expect a quality job when we're parting with cash to have someone do it for us. But unless at least minimal research is conducted in advance how will we know? My approach will change as I get older no doubt but I will never use an unproven (in my opinion) "Expert" to do anything to one of my vehicles.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I avoid them when it's my turn. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a good Fiat "professional" and motorhome service place in central scotland anywhere as I'm struggling to find somewhere offering knowledgeable and reasonable service.
Don't always trust the Fiat garage here anyway . We take our twin axle to an Lorry garage and he has a bay just for motorhomes. Maybe a truck garage is a better bet ?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
20171216_071304.jpg
20171216_071319.jpg
20171216_071343.jpg
This is all I got in the way of paperwork from him.
You can see the notes he made about tyres etc on page 1
Hab tick sheet on page 2
No mechanical tick sheet
And page 3 is supposed to be the damp test, I don't reckon he did it yes the van has stuff in it he knew that when I booked the service but a damp meter could still access the areas with minimal amount of moving things.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Have you sat back and thought the service centre may be right and the work did need doing?
All the resident forum experts on here are crucifying somebody’s business and livelihood on this forum without any proof that he had has ripped you off. You are just assuming many facts.
I am all for passing on information of dodgy dealers etc to other forum users but not until proven.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Have you sat back and thought the service centre may be right and the work did need doing?
All the resident forum experts on here are crucifying somebody’s business and livelihood on this forum without any proof that he had has ripped you off. You are just assuming many facts.
I am all for passing on information of dodgy dealers etc to other forum users but not until proven.
I think it’s best if you read the thread from the beginning :xThumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All I can add to this is it's nice to have two mechanics in my lads, and to anyone who hasn't had a go , lots of the things that need doing on motorhomes can be done your self very easily, it's not rocket science, and you may find you make a far better job of it.
And if you had been for warned there is no reason you couldn't have got your own filter and let someone else fit it.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
When me and my son ran a garage business, it was only polite to inform the customer of any problems or needs prior to going ahead with repairs. Unless we had been told to carry out any repairs needed beforehand.
Any repairs carried out, the old part was supplied for the customer to see, and a reason given for the replacement. And every vehicle was washed and cleaned inside as 'all part of the service'. There is no need to overcharge and overstate the repairs. One bad word can, and does, result in a bad name, as has proved here.

Craig

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it started to sound expensive when the first day they said it needed more repairs than just the service in my experience once it needs more than the basic service items the bill starts to go up quite quickly. Perhaps the lesson for us all is to make a point when leaving the vehicle that any extra work found we want to be given a quote for before going ahead once its done its too late I think. Also I suspect it was not made clear the original quote was plus VAT!!! I always use a local garage for my servicing father and son team plus a couple of other guys I trust them but still find the bill often comes to more than I thought it was going to be the biggest when the gearbox failed on a galaxy they had it all apart rebuilt it then the recon box was faulty had to take it out and do it all over again plus a clutch kit while it was out. The hourly rate for labor on your bill sounds to me reasonable the only question is did it all need doing who knows.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
A big bill can leave a nasty taste that takes years to recover.

I recall being taken to the cleaners car wise many years ago when we were first married than left us penniless for months. We had to take out a credit card that stripped out any extra money. I know I was ripped off and there was nothing I could do about it.

On the other side of the coin, we have just paid a garage nearly three times what the OP was charged and we have a smile on our faces.
Why? We KNOW that every penny charged was essential and we 'Got Away' with it.

The alternative would have been a bill North of £5000 before the garage had a chance to wield a spanner ie new engine.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi, we use Fiat Professional/Iveco truck dealer at Broxburn, AM Phillip Trucktech, they also have facilities at Dundee. Service Manager is called Alan, very friendly helpful guy.

Also heard good reports about Imperial Commercials at Bellshill.

Both though will charge Fiat parts prices and Labour is main dealer prices, have found they will do fixed price Motorhome servicing and negotiate on parts prices.

Hope this helps.

Bill

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Please don't take this as Smart Alec or Wise after The Event post.

I am constantly astounded by the posts on here referring to the need for "Experts" on gas, vehicle servicing, hab repairs, modifications, etc and yet almost no-one questions what qualifies someone as an "Expert". There are only two kinds of recommendation that are worthwhile (and the first is much better than the second). The first is a recommendation by a number of other owners that a particular establishment will go above and beyond with the quality of work and customer service they provide. The second is provided by published qualifications (which, in the case of a hab service, can be hard to find I suspect. I know about NCC Certification.) The motor trade in general has an horrific reputation for the quality of its work and the prices it charges. A habitation service is worthless unless a written report on what, in great detail, has been checked.

Most Experts are such because they say they are and not because they have experience, a proven track record, and suitable qualifications. How many owners, for example, question exactly what was checked and how the checks were done by an expert performing a Gas Test? Or the detailed measurements and where they were taken for a Damp Check? Why should any establishment dispose of your property before you have seen it and given them permission to do so? Until owners start to make life very uncomfortable for Dealers and Service Centres nothing will improve. Find a good place and they will be delighted that you take an interest. Use a bad one and they will try to have you out the door before you can cause them embarrassment or worse.

We are motorhomers and we range all over this country and others. It is therefore no great inconvenience to drive the length of the UK if that's what it takes to use a decent service engineer. Because of the relatively low mileage covered by our vehicles servicing is rarely time-critical and should fit into a trip to somewhere.

I'll declare an interest here: I haven't been to any Expert for anything - ever. The reason for that, apart from my own enjoyment and interest, is that by the time I have researched what needs, and what I expect, to be done I have the information to do it myself. That approach isn't for everyone and we should all expect a quality job when we're parting with cash to have someone do it for us. But unless at least minimal research is conducted in advance how will we know? My approach will change as I get older no doubt but I will never use an unproven (in my opinion) "Expert" to do anything to one of my vehicles.
To be honest I know most of the hab service is a big con....unfortunately when you come to sell the van it's sure as damm it the buyer will want a full hab history and as the van has that up to now and it's a £40k van I opted to have that done.

The original £500 including vat I was fine with for both services thinking it would at least give peace of mind.

It's the additional work that I'm unhappy with mainly as I don't think it had the leaks when it went in for the service, and then the fact they did the work using the most expensive parts without at least talking to me first and giving options. Without the old parts or the receipts for the new parts for all I know they could have bought the parts anywhere at a fraction of the cost they charged me. And 4 hours labour to fit a filter housing, 3 hose clips and refill coolant seems more than excessive.

It's money I really could have done without spending at the minute so it stings a little.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think it started to sound expensive when the first day they said it needed more repairs than just the service in my experience once it needs more than the basic service items the bill starts to go up quite quickly. Perhaps the lesson for us all is to make a point when leaving the vehicle that any extra work found we want to be given a quote for before going ahead once its done its too late I think. Also I suspect it was not made clear the original quote was plus VAT!!! I always use a local garage for my servicing father and son team plus a couple of other guys I trust them but still find the bill often comes to more than I thought it was going to be the biggest when the gearbox failed on a galaxy they had it all apart rebuilt it then the recon box was faulty had to take it out and do it all over again plus a clutch kit while it was out. The hourly rate for labor on your bill sounds to me reasonable the only question is did it all need doing who knows.
The original quote of £500 For the combined service was inclusive of vat I think it's just under £400 then 20% vat on top.

But yes I stupidly assumed that like other garages I've used in the past that he would have phoned me and said we have found such and such and it needs this part at this cost etc and asked for the go ahead before just doing it.

That's why I think they damaged the filter housing themselves and knew the van wouldn't run without replacing it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back