Warranty (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Anyone know what the Hymer warranty says about body paintwork ?

Mine is bubbling around the cutouts for water and ehu and the door restraints. Basically all the points where Hymer have pierced the body.

Not serious but local bodyshop have suggested as the vehicles 2012 model it will still be under body warranty ??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's a common problem with Hymers where they cut holes they leave raw untreated edges. If you have a driver's door check the bottom corners, water gets trapped under the seal and corrosion starts there and at the bottom corners of the window.

Yes, they will normally deal with it under the water ingress warranty providing you have a good dealer who will support you. 2012 is 8 years old so I don't think you will have any luck as the warranty is 6 years.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
It's a common problem with Hymers where they cut holes they leave raw untreated edges. If you have a driver's door check the bottom corners, water gets trapped under the seal and corrosion starts there and at the bottom corners of the window.

Yes, they will normally deal with it under the water ingress warranty providing you have a good dealer who will support you. 2012 is 8 years old so I don't think you will have any luck as the warranty is 6 years.
And you have had the yearly check

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
On and off for over 35 years
Last year I had a problem with corrosion at the bottom of my drivers door on my 2015 Hymer Exsis. It looked to be caused by water collecting in the rubber seal, as Lenny suggested. As I had bought my Hymer from Travelworld and it was still within the 6 year water ingress warranty I spoke with them. The eventual outcome was that they would carry out a coating repair and I would have to pay 50% off the costs £700 of £1400 total, they would not replace the door. I wanted my motorhome to last, so I bit the bullet and went ahead with the coating repair I also incurred fuel, milage and hire car costs.

That was last year November 2019, fast forward two months Jan 2020 and the corrosion was reappeared. I notified Travelworld of the reoccurring corrosion problem and also spoke to the company that had carried out the coating repair for Travelworld, they admitted that repairing corroded aluminium is a near enough impossible task. With this info I asked Travelworld to ask Hymer if they would replace the door. Hymer agreed to pay 30% off the door replacement cost of which was £5,300 so it was going to cost me £3,700 not including fuel, milage etc. with is a ridiculous price.

Due to travel restrictions Covid etc. etc. I have not managed to resolve my drivers door corrosion issue. I have sent an email to Hymer and they replied stating they will only contribute 30% to any attempted repair or door replacement. I am confident that Travelworld would attempt another coating repair free of cost but all this is academic as I live in Inverness and the fuel and milage costs plus the costs of a hire car back and forth, due to a repair taking a few days.

I am now hoping to be able to claim my original repair costs of £700 back from Travelworld/Hymer.

Going forward I will be using a local motor respray company.

Hymer no longer seem to be embarrassed by producing vehicles with inherent design faults.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I was told Auto Spray Inverness are good, so I will try them when we are able to after Covid. They are not open for work at present.
Mine seems to be the screw hols in the body are causing blistering under the paint, but these bubbles are really small, just don't want them to get any worse. May try some ACF50 on the screws.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last year I had a problem with corrosion at the bottom of my drivers door on my 2015 Hymer Exsis. It looked to be caused by water collecting in the rubber seal, as Lenny suggested. As I had bought my Hymer from Travelworld and it was still within the 6 year water ingress warranty I spoke with them. The eventual outcome was that they would carry out a coating repair and I would have to pay 50% off the costs £700 of £1400 total, they would not replace the door. I wanted my motorhome to last, so I bit the bullet and went ahead with the coating repair I also incurred fuel, milage and hire car costs.

That was last year November 2019, fast forward two months Jan 2020 and the corrosion was reappeared. I notified Travelworld of the reoccurring corrosion problem and also spoke to the company that had carried out the coating repair for Travelworld, they admitted that repairing corroded aluminium is a near enough impossible task. With this info I asked Travelworld to ask Hymer if they would replace the door. Hymer agreed to pay 30% off the door replacement cost of which was £5,300 so it was going to cost me £3,700 not including fuel, milage etc. with is a ridiculous price.
We have had a problem on all 3 Hymers we have had, living 200yds from the sea doesn't help. First one was a Gold Tramp the Hab door bubbled all around the edges it was a problem with Hartal doors at the time, although out of the main warranty the door was replaced.
Last van an Exsis-i tiny bits of corrosion were starting at the bottom corners of the drivers window and around the security locks on the hab & drivers door. We traded it under 3 years old so didn't get done.
Current DL the bottom corners of the drivers door tiny bits of corrosion, our dealer did it a year ago, Hymer now glue the door seals on so the seal has to be replaced after repair, part of their attempt to stop it. Our Belgium dealer used a local mobile guy you did a superb job and I have squeezed some clear silicon RTV into the seal that will hopefully stop it happening again.
Always looking at Hymers closely never seen the corrosion on ones that live inland.

Getting jobs done by the dealer depends on their relationship with Hymer, our Belgium dealer has been dealing with Hymer since the 1960's and sells more vans than a lot of German dealers. We have never had any problems getting warranty work done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I just looked at mine. I lifted the rubber seal up and brushed the dust out the squirted some ACF 50 in. That cures any rust from appearing. Also removed all attachments on the van and applied a smear of ACF50 on back and into screw holes.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Makes me wonder whether I should treat all holes drilled into the steel body of my upcoming new Fiat based PVC.

What a faff that would be but for long term ownership maybe it's needed? And if I did, would self tapping screws etc be as secure when refitted??

Am I being paranoid?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back