Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
hi all

ive had my motorhome now for 2 months,
a couple of things have broken,snapped
would you think they are covered under warranty?

1.door lock barrel has come out of lock completely
2.white plastic clips that hold door in place when open have snapped
3.again white pilastic clip on entrance door bottom rivet is loose comming out of fitting and will fail sooner than later

the van is 12 years old but comes with a 12 month dealer warranty

thoughts please

thanks in advance
andy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Andy depends on what's covered:Smile: cannot hurt to ask dealer :thumb: on the plus side the plastic door clips are about 2 quid ish the door lock could be anything from a tenner to 140 :Sad: and the rivet will be pennies-drill out and rivet back in :thumb: before it works it's way out and enlages the hole :thumb: All ten mins jobs :winky:
Terry

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
all the things you list are quite simple to fix and inexpensive so a reasonable dealer will probably sort it. however, they may not be covered as most second hand vehicle warranties are for major failures ( engine , gearbox etc)

if you dont ask you wont get so telephone the dealer and tell them they are broken see what they say. dont ask the question " are they covered" unless they say they are not, then asak WHY?

GOOD LUCK:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
On a new van things like this should be covered, but on a 12 year old van I am not so sure - it will depend on precisely what is written down under the terms of the warranty. But they are not big jobs, and arguably to be expected on a 12 year old van.

I would check the small print first, and then see what the dealer says.

OP
OP
C

Collyer911

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks all

all the above where what i was thinking

ive already bought some plastic clips and sikaflex
i think ill pop it into the dealer and see if he will do the small jobs and pay the labour if not covered
thanks for your input

andy

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I've said this before, I know, but we bought our 1991 MH from a dealer and were given a 6 month warranty which covered EVERYTHING (from cambelt, which was renewed anyway as a matter of course, to fridge seals and any defect which could develop) with NO quibbles... It wasn't even his MH but being sold on behalf of the previous owner. I would expect nothing less - the whole point of buying from a dealer is to get a perfect MH irrespective of age/mileage etc. Any fault was covered even if abroad, just a phonecall needed to get the go-ahead.

(Alan at RollingMotorhomes, Slebech near Haverfordwest...)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... but due to the MH being properly p.d.i'd nothing was needed during the warranty period - or for the following 3 years + except a quick adjustment of the rear brake shoes. ... a month out of warranty and with an apology.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
while you are there get a few sets of the door clips . you will find that if in sunny climates you will be replacing them every year . i always have a couple ion a draw . mind ido go away for months in winter to hot sunny places i hope . but really they soon get brittle .replaced the door locks on mine only this spring . cost 17 quid thats for complete thing . they do break after awhile if used alot . dont think they really make m,home parts for fulltiming or long terming . good job they are cheap.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've said this before, I know, but we bought our 1991 MH from a dealer and were given a 6 month warranty which covered EVERYTHING (from cambelt, which was renewed anyway as a matter of course, to fridge seals and any defect which could develop) with NO quibbles... It wasn't even his MH but being sold on behalf of the previous owner. I would expect nothing less - the whole point of buying from a dealer is to get a perfect MH irrespective of age/mileage etc. Any fault was covered even if abroad, just a phonecall needed to get the go-ahead.

(Alan at RollingMotorhomes, Slebech near Haverfordwest...)

that warrenty was a good deal....many arent so good covering major mechanical breakdown only..and most aint worth the paper they're written on.

an extreme example....

cam belt breaks....belt replaced and any associated damege repaired but the belt pulley's and tensioner would not be covered as they were not affected by the belt breaking.
absolute false economy but thats how many warrenties work.

i bought a landfover discovery from carcraft.
on the way home the head gasket blew.

cause...leaking water pump and thermostat removed by previous owner in the hope it would run cooler.

the cylinder head was skimmed and associated gaskets renewed but they wouldnt cover the cost of a new water pump and thermostat, even though they were the cause, as they were already defective prior to the warrenty being bought.

they did pay unknowingly though, as the work was carried out at the garage i worked at and the cost of the covered repairs was 'slightly increased' to cover the cost of the extra parts and labour. though i did pay for the new cam belt and tensioner. :thumb:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what most warranties state is that fair wear and tear is excluded, so plastic parts that wear out by design like the door catch would not be covered

generally when the lock barrel pops out, just grease it and reinsert so it locks back in. if it wont relocate, the handle/lock housing needs replacing as the internal plastic is worn. dealers and locksmiths carry a master type key that can remove a lock barrel by pushing in and turning, so they are not very secure when you think of it

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most caravan style door locks its held in by a little circlip. i just changed mine buy fitted the old barrel to save having keys cut .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back