Warranty Issues : This cannot be normal (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have a few teething problems with my new Rapido 10000DFH motorhome that i purchased in April, one that i cannot seem to get fixed is the noise the over cab bed makes when you lower it. The vehicle has been back 3 times to get this sorted but they can't seem to find a problem they said. Well after receiving the vehicle back a couple of weeks ago this Sunday was the first time I had to try out the lowering of the bed again. This time i recorded it so if it did make the noise i would have some evidence and it didnt disapoint. I have been previously told that some noise is normal when it doesnt get used but surely not this much

See for yourself, i have uploaded the 2mb file Broken Link Removed
I have emailed the dealer again and included Anthony Pfaff from Rapido to see how this is going to proceed but i dont want another 400 miles put on my vehicle when they have already put on 1200 in hte last 3 visits (Blinking Useless is an understatement)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
There you go Zac, I hosted it on my Vimeo . What a God-Awful noise.

Great thanks, that will help. I have been told i need to expect some noise when it doesnt get used but to me that is not normal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds like you were on the beans are yuou sure it was the bed I usually blame the dog!!!. Actually our bed sounds a little like that sometimes when we lower it I think its the webbing straps unwinding (but thats a guess) and thinking about it it is worse when its not been used a while. If its not affecting its use is it a big issue?. Just thinking compared to water leaks failing clutches or injector problems its not that sort of level of problem although its not mine!

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have no sound on my computer ,sorry
Do you mean the clip doesnt have any sound when you play it or that you dont have any sound on your computer at all?, i cant test the link @Jim has put up as i am at work but if you click the link i posted that wil download a separate file which should work. I am assuming the other clip works as Jim has already mentioned he has heard it :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds like a creaky door in a haunted house, mine just makes a very low whirr noise when lowering and raising

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do you mean the clip doesnt have any sound when you play it or that you dont have any sound on your computer at all?, i cant test the link @Jim has put up as i am at work but if you click the link i posted that wil download a separate file which should work. I am assuming the other clip works as Jim has already mentioned he has heard it :)

Jim's link has sound(y)

That noise cannot be normal.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Sounds like you were on the beans are yuou sure it was the bed I usually blame the dog!!!. Actually our bed sounds a little like that sometimes when we lower it I think its the webbing straps unwinding (but thats a guess) and thinking about it it is worse when its not been used a while. If its not affecting its use is it a big issue?. Just thinking compared to water leaks failing clutches or injector problems its not that sort of level of problem although its not mine!
I beg to differ as i dont expect that kind of noise on a brand new motorhome costing over 100k, in fact i would not expect that on any new motorhome regardless of cost.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Probably 5 seconds a day, does it really matter(n)
See above but in short yes it does matter, how do i know if this is not the start of a bigger problem or the hydraulics seezing up when i need it the most. Regardless this is a brand new motorhome where this should not happen.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Yes Zac I wouldn't be happy with that as it sounds to me that something is overtensioned and is straining to work.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Honestly wouldn't have even thought about it, don't know about such things but would have just thought that's what they do.
It isn't as if it's going on all the time it's just a second or two.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We just part exed our 10001 now 5 years old and ours did make a similar noise but as we only used the bed for storage it was never a problem. You could try a bit of silicone spray on the mech.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Honestly wouldn't have even thought about it, don't know about such things but would have just thought that's what they do.
It isn't as if it's going on all the time it's just a second or two.
I dont believe for a second that this is "Just what they do", if your brand new car rattled when you first start it would you think that was acceptable as it was only for 20 seconds then it stops and only comes back the next time you then use it?. I don't think so, too many people just accept faults when they should not be there in the first place.

Each to there own but for me that noise is not normal.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We just part exed our 10001 now 5 years old and ours did make a similar noise but as we only used the bed for storage it was never a problem. You could try a bit of silicone spray on the mech.
They have already greased it and made no difference

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have to say if I'd paid over £100k for a new motorhome and the bed was making that noise there's no way if be just accepting it either. It doesn't sound right, I'd expect it to be smooth and fairly quiet. And as others have said it could be a sign of further problems down the line

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Probably 5 seconds a day, does it really matter(n)

It shouldn't sound like that. If it gets worse it could be a bigger problem.
Can you email rapido with clip and see what they say?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How does it work ours is just a lowly chausson but the mechanism is an electric motor that turns a spindle that the webbing straps wind on to raise or lower the bed I'm puzzled about the hydraulics worry?. If as I suspect on ours its the webbing straps slipping over the previous layer as the spindle winds then it could be an inevitable noise you could try some talc on the straps if it bothers you (or to try and identify if that is the cause). If your bed is hydraulic then ignore all the above ( but that would seem a bit over the top to lower a bed)!!!

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
How does it work ours is just a lowly chausson but the mechanism is an electric motor that turns a spindle that the webbing straps wind on to raise or lower the bed I'm puzzled about the hydraulics worry?. If as I suspect on ours its the webbing straps slipping over the previous layer as the spindle winds then it could be an inevitable noise you could try some talc on the straps if it bothers you (or to try and identify if that is the cause). If your bed is hydraulic then ignore all the above ( but that would seem a bit over the top to lower a bed)!!!
The bed uses hydraulics, there are no straps other than the one that clips at the front to stop it coming down when driving.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The bed uses hydraulics, there are no straps other than the one that clips at the front to stop it coming down when driving.
Same as mine from the sounds of it

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
From memory zac I think there are 2 gas struts to assist the 2 motors/acctuaters you could disconnect the motors in the down position then lift the bed and check for noise a process of elimination I think. Don't hold your breath for the dealer to come up trumps.

Reactions: DBK

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Our Rapido bed was a manual and squeaked annoyingly on being lowered. There was a limit to the amount of time I wanted to spend wandering the streets of Newark.
Yours does sound particularly bad. Was it like that at handover or has this just happened?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back