Warranty Direct (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2020
Wild West Wales
Funster No
MH
murvi morocco
Exp
Too shy to mention but some!
Excuse me for venting my spleen but I know I’m among friends here. Had my car services and mot‘d as I do every year. A month ago SatNav started to play up. Yesterday mechanic changes the antenna and all is well and I can now find my way home, much to the annoyance of my wife. Antenna plus labour £250, rang Warranty Direct to register a claim on my “rolls royce, cover all policy” only to be told by Stephanie that antenna are considered consumables and therefore aren’t covered. Well flabber my ghast! So I calmly say to Stephanie without said antenna I don’t have a SatNav, I have a pretty coloured map screen that puts me anywhere in the world, including the middle of the Ocean. My question is, how can an antenna be considered a consumable and not integral to the functioning of a SatNav. Colour me frustrated and a bit p’d off. Such decisions only serve the belief that insurance companies will do anything to wriggle out of a genuine and honest claim. Anyone any suggestions, please be gentle given my stress levels and high blood pressure and out of deference to “she that must be obeyed!”...... thanks you, rant over.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Excuse me for venting my spleen but I know I’m among friends here. Had my car services and mot‘d as I do every year. A month ago SatNav started to play up. Yesterday mechanic changes the antenna and all is well and I can now find my way home, much to the annoyance of my wife. Antenna plus labour £250, rang Warranty Direct to register a claim on my “rolls royce, cover all policy” only to be told by Stephanie that antenna are considered consumables and therefore aren’t covered. Well flabber my ghast! So I calmly say to Stephanie without said antenna I don’t have a SatNav, I have a pretty coloured map screen that puts me anywhere in the world, including the middle of the Ocean. My question is, how can an antenna be considered a consumable and not integral to the functioning of a SatNav. Colour me frustrated and a bit p’d off. Such decisions only serve the belief that insurance companies will do anything to wriggle out of a genuine and honest claim. Anyone any suggestions, please be gentle given my stress levels and high blood pressure and out of deference to “she that must be obeyed!”...... thanks you, rant over.
So what does the policy terms say, about what is covered?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If an aerial is a consumable then all the running gear is as well.

Ive never heard such s***e in my life 😳

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
You didn't expect the warranty to cover everything, surely?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Put a formal complaint into the company. Let them reject it and then send the matter to the insurance ombudsman. That cost them time and money even if they win

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My limited experience of vehicle breakdown warranties is not a happy one. :(

Consequently, don't bother - prefer to take the cost of repairs on the chin. :rolleyes:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
My limited experience of vehicle breakdown warranties is not a happy one.

Consequently, don't bother - prefer to take the cost of repairs on the chin. :rolleyes:
And if you are paying for it monthly.

Pop £130 a month aside for the repairs into a separate account (or the cost the insurer quotes you)

Deleted User
Many years ago we took out an after market warranty on one of our cars. Radio failed so we tried a claim, they said yes if that's what is gone we'll cover replacement of the faulty part which was a 50p diode but the labour was £50 which wasn't covered. The fitter accidently dropped the radio during the work so we had to claim for a new one. Imo they're not worth the money on an average car that's regularly serviced.

OP
OP
dle54
Dec 24, 2020
Wild West Wales
Funster No
MH
murvi morocco
Exp
Too shy to mention but some!
I have already raised a complaint with the company. The exclusions refer to ariels and not antenna. I’ve explained that they perform different functions and that an antenna is integral to the function of a SatNav. Once this has been rejected I will refer to the ombudsman as I believe that the policy is poorly written and confusing.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I have already raised a complaint with the company. The exclusions refer to ariels and not antenna. I’ve explained that they perform different functions and that an antenna is integral to the function of a SatNav. Once this has been rejected I will refer to the ombudsman as I believe that the policy is poorly written and confusing.
So looking at the warranty Direct website and the exclusions, the one that would catch you out from what you describe is point 6

The repair or replacement of any Part not authorised by us.

So if you got the work done without informing them first, which is normal practice, you would be outside the terms of your policy.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
In my younger days used to take out warranties..... after 5 or 6 refused claims for various issues I no longer bother... if it breaks I get it fixed and I pay for it...if it don't break I am £xxx's up from monies I saved giving to insurance companies.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Window wipers are integral to you seeing where your going when it’s raining, are they covered...?

this is how insurance works.... wording... :doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The old blanket rejection for aerials/antennae is down to the old telescopic ones that frequently got vandalised. If the garage called it an antenna loom it would be accepted

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Two years ago our motorhome was broken into. They ripped the tv off the wall, stole my laptop and other stuff. The insurance included 5k personal items cover. When we tried to claim they said tv and laptop not covered and that personal items were pots and pans etc!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Remember the old cortina Pinto engine camshaft rattledue to poor design oil spray bar that Ford denied was the cause.
Every warranty company declined repair cost, on the grounds it was wear and tear.after 4 or5 refusals from my customers warranty policies all i ever found after that were broken ones lol
After a while they started sending out loss adjusters to inspect the broken camshafts, that lasted a month before they gave in and paid out on almost every claim.
It then moved on to many other parts like alternators starter motors ect.
The question was is it broken or worn out
Of course they broken
some dropped on the floor.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I fail to see how any part of any vehicle which has no moving parts could be described as 'Consumable'

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You didn't expect the warranty to cover ANYTHING, surely?
Amended / corrected for you :rofl:

I have never come across any insurance for anything that is worth more than the paper it is written on.. As far as I am concerned ALL insurance companies are just one step from being a blatant scam. And I could not care less about hearing from Joe Blogs who disagrees.... We stopped all insurances apart from the absolute basic legally required ones some 40 years ago after once again falling foul of one of their 'that's not covered' things

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When I was in the motor trade I got offered a job by warranty direct.

The basics of the job were. Ask if they have done anything, if they have, they shouldn’t have, if they haven’t they should have.

So basically don’t payout on the policy.

It wasn’t the job for me, I walked away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back