Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since now
hello all
any help appreciated.

bought a m/h just over year ago , returned for yearly habitation/ warranty check to be informed that over £ 3000.00 of damp repairs required, warranty would not pay.

stood ground with dealer and they sorted it f.o.c.

Just found out via warranty company who supplied me with the habitation check carried out when i bought m/h which shows 18% damp in some places and that the h/m should have been rechecked after 3 months to comply with warranty, which is why they would not pay up.

Should dealer have informed me at purchase of habitation reading and recall?
Do i have any legal recourse if yes ?

thanks in advance .

petjanjess

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think they should have to you as it was a stipulation of your warranty.

18% might not be that high depending on the ambient weather conditions at the time, if it was a dry spell it might be high, if there had been a long damp spell not bad, and depends on the calibration of the meter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Always dangerous to offer legal advice on a forum. It appears that you may have a case against both the dealer and the warranty company. The warranty is probably an insurance policy so you may be able to make a complaint to the FSA (or whatever it is called now). Any unusual or onerous terms of the policy should have been pointed out to you, and I would think a damp check every 3 months is both unusual and onerous.

I suggest you go and see a solicitor for some advice.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have an insurance company warranty and would be interested in knowing who it was that imposed such an onerous term?

My warranty was 6 months from the dealer and thereafter 6 months from an insurance company.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
the first thing I would do is get someone independent to check all the work the dealer has "put right"

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As the dealer has sorted it out, you have no case.
But, the dealer should have pointed it out to you especially as it was a condition of the warranty to have it checked within the first warranty period.
I assume that you had a copy of the damp check and warranty conditions?
If not, then that could be the reason the dealer is footing the bill.
Allan

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
For what its worth, my opinion is that you have a good result

Damp has been sorted and no cost to you, decent dealer for me, doesn't deserve any aggro over this, even if he was maybe lax in the paperwork area

Had you had the hab check done before the year was up you would have known inside the 12 months anyway, but this clause would still have been an issue

I agree with above that 18% is not that bad as damp readings go, but I presume this is why a 3 month recheck was requested by the insurers

Out of interest how old is the MH and what make?

OP
OP
Petjanjess

Petjanjess

Free Member
Jun 3, 2013
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since now
hello all

thanks all replies
m/h 2006 bessy ,

Confronted dealer today , they admitted they should have informed us about high reading which would have voided the warranty if not returned to dealer after months blamed mix up with paperwork.

As i am always up for a quiet life and the problems were sorted, thats it ,
but can't get over the fact that it could have been a £3000.00 bill but for a bit of tanacity.

petejanjess

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back