RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi everyone,

The hab door on my 1999 Swift Sundance is slightly warped at the bottom right hand corner and I doesn't sit flush in the door frame when shut.

The other three corners are fine, all sit flush, but the bottom right protrudes about 10mm. If I press it in, it does move and I can press it flush, but naturally as soon as I let go it pops back out again.

My question is, would I be right in thinking they door is probably made of ply, with an aluminium skin over the outside?

And if so, all attempts I make in trying to take the door off and bend it back in to shape would be wasted as it would just spring back in to its warped shape again?

Should I try to find a replacement door at a caravan breakers or something? (I assume these doors have more than one vehicle application?)

Will try and get a photo up (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There was a thread similar to this on here a few weeks ago do a search you might find it useful.

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
IMG_6777.JPG
IMG_6780.JPG
IMG_6782.JPG
IMG_6781.JPG
IMG_6783.JPG
Hi there :)

I tried a few searches, couldn't find anything that matched as such.

Trying to attach a few pics now:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We had the same on the Autotrail.
After advice from members I did the following
Wait for a sunny day
Put a rolled up towel in the door jam above the warp
Get a handy lump of 2 x 2 timber ( or similar ) and jam it against the bottom of the door twixt the door and the ground ( I used a tea towel to protect the door )thereby forcing the bottom of the door in
Waited for the sun to go down and removed the bits and bobs.. Door is now perfectly straight and has been for over two years

In my case the cause was the bottom lock
It had actually partially broken away within the door so when closed the latch went on the first click but never the second.. holding the bottom of the door slightly open
To cure the issue that has caused the problem in the first place I took the door apart and using a piece of 12 gauge plate remade the lock mount, attaching it to the door with pop rivets

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Addendum:
While the lock malarky may well not be what caused the problem it will more than likely be the striker plate on the bottom lock is not adjusted properly.. They are easy to adjust so do check that as well

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Deleted post

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Wait for a sunny day
Get a handy lump of 2 x 2 timber ( or similar ) and jam it against the bottom of the door twixt the door and the ground ( I used a tea towel to protect the door )thereby forcing the bottom of the door in
Waited for the sun to go down and removed the bits and bobs.. Door is now perfectly straight

Interesting!

I'm guessing the heat from the sun was key to this working?

So is this a job I should leave until spring / summer next year? Or can I simulate this somehow? (I don't have a garage or anything)

Can I ask too, with the towel wedged in place, by how much was the door held open at that point? (i.e. What size gap was there? How thick should the towel be?)

And, with the timber wedged in place, did you wedge it with sufficient force that the bottom of the door was pressed flush to the door frame, regardless of the size of gap above it due to the towel?

So in effect, twisting the door not only straight, but technically backwards in the opposite direction of the warp?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Basically it was all a bit suck it an see.
I would say the corrective twist I put on the door was about an inch so a lot more than it was warped
You could simulate the sun heat easily enough using a garage heater or a couple of big halogen lamps

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
We had the same on the Autotrail.
Wait for a sunny day
Waited for the sun to go down and removed the bits and bobs.. Door is now perfectly straight and has been for over two years

Six months later...

Wish me luck!

IMG_7738.JPG
IMG_7739.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG
IMG_7741.JPG

Although the bottom might not look as if it's pushed in much, the top is actually open by a good few inches.

I started this around 9am this morning so it's had a good +6hrs in the sun.

Will report back later!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Well @movan I bring good news!

The door is now ten times straighter than before (y)

IMG_7743.JPG
IMG_7744.JPG
IMG_7745.JPG

My OCD is saying the door is now sticking out by maybe 2mm, but on an 18 year old van, and compared to how bad it was, I think I can allow a 2mm tolerance :LOL:

So I'll wait with baited breath and I'll watch closely over the coming weeks for any sign of it warping back out again but for now I must say a big thank you to @Jaws :D2

Will report back if I decide to try this again to get that 2mm down to 0mm, or if it starts to undo itself again :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back