Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When broken down on the hard shoulder of a British motorway The Highways Agency and the Auto Clubs in GB advise strictly against using a warning triangle to warn oncoming vehicles. I suppose they think it too dangerous; as around 50 people die on Britain's hard shoulder each year:Eeek: ( would that be less if we used warning triangles? )

Anyway my question..

I know the general rule in France is that triangles must be used (30m I think) but is this on all roads including when on hard shoulder(where there is one) of a motorway?

Thanks in anticipation

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Jim, in towns you are required to place the triangle at least 30m behind the vehicle, whilst outside towns it must be between 50m and 100m behind the vehicle.

Bob

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I notice in the January edition of MMM you can purchase a flashing LED arrow which can be used as an alternative to the Red Triangle.

It comes in a small roll and when opened up and positioned it has 3 arrows which flash in sequence indicating there is an obstruction ahead and pointing which direction you should go. either Left or Right, which ever is flashing.

Cost is £29.60p inc P & P. Made in the UK.

Is this allowed on the continent as an alternative to the Warning Triangle?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
No, it isn't from what I've read. Any many Euro-cousins (France soon to be included) require 2 triangles!

Ho hum. Damn Burocrats

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
No, it isn't from what I've read. Any many Euro-cousins (France soon to be included) require 2 triangles!

Ho hum. Damn Burocrats

The warning light sounds a good idea.

can it be used as well as a triangle or is its use banned?

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
I agree it is a good idea, but don't try using it instead of a triangle! I doubt if the authorities anywhere have got to the stage of even finding these, let alone thinking about them. For now a triangle is mandatory in France (as well as hi-viz jackets, spare bulb set, and so on and so on)....

Bob

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I agree it is a good idea, but don't try using it instead of a triangle! I doubt if the authorities anywhere have got to the stage of even finding these, let alone thinking about them. For now a triangle is mandatory in France (as well as hi-viz jackets, spare bulb set, and so on and so on)....

Bob

That's for sure! wise words Bob!:roflmto:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Amicalement Frankie:Smile:

Just the person we need :)

Somewhere I saw a message "Do not use triangle on motorway, too dangerous". Not the message at the top of this thread.

I thought it was France, am I wrong ?

Brian.

T

treflynman

Deleted User
When in France...

We have seen these triangles in use in France and Spain on both motorways and country roads by natives so best use it!
Don't forget you also need a fluo vest (for each person who exits the vehicle in a breakdown)which is also sensible.

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
When I left France early this year (July) the garages and car parts shops were selling packs of 2 High Visability jackets for the new law which starts in August They have to be worn when using the triangles.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just the person we need :)

Somewhere I saw a message "Do not use triangle on motorway, too dangerous". Not the message at the top of this thread.

I thought it was France, am I wrong ?

Brian.

Hi Brian

Never saw that message, i would have replied immediately! Whatever you do on motorway as long as you're not anymore in your car may be dangerous, but you HAVE to put the triangle or you'll be fined!
What is supposed to be much more dangerous is to stay in the car while waiting for motorway help service. Once you put the triangle and the security jacket (may i remind you the law says only one jacket is compulsary , wiser to have at least 2 of them) you supposed to jump over the slip road and stay there. Motorways service estimates your lasting life time(hope that is correct english...?!)to 15 minutes, when you have a breakdown and stay in or near your car!:Sad:

Better to go away as fast as possible:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile: ..... And BTW.... Happy New Year!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian you supposed to jump over the slip road and stay there. Motorways service estimates your lasting life time(hope that is correct english...?!)to 15 minutes, when you have a breakdown and stay in or near your car!:Sad:

Meilleurs vœux pour la nouvelle année.

Your English is fine, a thousand times better than my French. That is just what happens in the UK. I think 30% of motorway accidents are with broken down vehicles.

I knew one person, loved riding his motorbike very quickly, broke down in his car on the motorway and was killed in the car. I think that when he met God he said "I like your sense of humour God, they all expected me to die on the bike".

Thanks for the information on triangles.

New Year wish for us all - no breakdowns.

Brian.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
When I left France early this year (July) the garages and car parts shops were selling packs of 2 High Visibility jackets for the new law which starts in August They have to be worn when using the triangles.

They have to be carried inside the van and put on when you and anyone else first leave the van - long before you place the triangles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back