Warning Re immigrants at Caen boarding motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
My friends who stopped at the Aire just outside the port at Caen last night, having crossed from Portsmouth, have had a frightening experience & just phoned to tell us. They are of an age to say they have been collecting their state pensions for many years now and we have know them for 8 years now as good camping friends.

They were woken up about 0300 this morning by noises outside to find 3 men at their bikes on the rear mounted bike rack. He frightened them off, I won’t say how, and they thought they were trying to steal the bikes.

They couldn’t settle again and thought they heard other noises outside so got up again having decided to set off south. There were about 20 other vans on the Aire at the time as they set off at 0530.

Further along the journey they stopped off for a coffee before setting off again and after travelling 300 miles they heard some banging noises & a van driver on the motorway tried to alert them to stop, which they did.

They discovered 2 legs dangling from inside the bike rack cover and the man, of apparent African origin, climbed out. He nonchalantly walked away on the hard shoulder and then used his phone to make a call.

A long way from the port now! Lessons to be learned on stopping close to the port and not fully checking your van before setting off. It could have been a lot worse.

This is an absolutely genuine story so please don’t even try to doubt it’s truthfulness. I’d be so disappointed if you did. 😊

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My friends who stopped at the Aire just outside the port at Caen last night, having crossed from Portsmouth, have had a frightening experience & just phoned to tell us. They are of an age to say they have been collecting their state pensions for many years now and we have know them for 8 years now as good camping friends.

They were woken up about 0300 this morning by noises outside to find 3 men at their bikes on the rear mounted bike rack. He frightened them off, I won’t say how, and they thought they were trying to steal the bikes.

They couldn’t settle again and thought they heard other noises outside so got up again having decided to set off south. There were about 20 other vans on the Aire at the time as they set off at 0530.

Further along the journey they stopped off for a coffee before setting off again and after travelling 300 miles they heard some banging noises & a van driver on the motorway tried to alert them to stop, which they did.

They discovered 2 legs dangling from inside the bike rack cover and the man, of apparent African origin, climbed out. He nonchalantly walked away on the hard shoulder and then used his phone to make a call.

A long way from the port now! Lessons to be learned on stopping close to the port and not fully checking your van before setting off. It could have been a lot worse.

This is an absolutely genuine story so please don’t even try to doubt it’s truthfulness. I’d be so disappointed if you did. 😊
Why would anyone doubt it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I expect with the strong winds in the Channel the past week or so preventing dinghy crossings they're getting desperate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Just shows those bike racks can take a lot more than 60kg
They looked pretty skinny when we were there a couple of weeks ago, we also commented on the fact that lots of them had bikes.
There is an excellent camp site a few hundred yards from the port for only a couple of euro's more than the aire. Why anyone stays at the aire is beyond me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back