WARNING OUISTERHAM AIRE (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We we're forced to pull off the aire at 1am due to a mob of men trying to attach hanging ropes to our chassis. After confronting them and the police arriving they dispersed . Fifteen minutes later they returned and tried to force entry to our van and trailered car. Enough we thoight so left. My lump hammer was not used but I was very tempted. The police cannot cope with the numbers trying to board vehicles .

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Glad your ok we were going to head that way today but read the reviews on camper contact for the aire and thought no way thanx for the heads up .

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm pleased that you are safe and well guys. You were lucky that it didn't escalate further. It sounded like a terrible scenario to be in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It puzzled me a bit why they would want to try to 'board' your MH there then I realised there's a ferry that goes to the UK from there so it looks like they assumed you were going to be boarding it in the morning.

I wouldn't stop at any of the places near the ports as it's not worth the aggro the only exception being Cite Europe as we've never had any issues there at all and it is checked regularly by the police.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
It puzzled me a bit why they would want to try to 'board' your MH there then I realised there's a ferry that goes to the UK from there so it looks like they assumed you were going to be boarding it in the morning.

I wouldn't stop at any of the places near the ports as it's not worth the aggro the only exception being Cite Europe as we've never had any issues there at all and it is checked regularly by the police.

We've used this Aire for the last 5 years without any issues. Accordingly to the police there have been a massive increase in aggressive people trying anything to get access to vehicles. Lesson learned we won't return .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've used this Aire for the last 5 years without any issues. Accordingly to the police there have been a massive increase in aggressive people trying anything to get access to vehicles. Lesson learned we won't return .
I assume since they've clamped down on Calais they are 'migrating' elsewhere ...

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
We drove into Ouisterham car park and were a bit apprehensive about the amount of groups of men hanging around. So decided to find an other aires . Even driving out of town more groups were near the roundabouts and supermarket. Glad we left.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
That was scary news and we're glad to learn that you escaped unscathed. It's very sad that people are so desperate to get to the UK that they will resort to violence. Having said that, are they likely to be violent if they do get to the UK? If so and they are apprehended by police, then they should be deported immediately and not housed and fed for months on end in UK detention centres.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Dieppe is nice and quiet now since they moved them along the coast, I think they shipped the ones at Dieppe to Cherbourg.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We like the Ouistreham crossing, and used to enjoy going for a meal in the town, on our last night. We gave it a miss this time, though and will be doing so for the foreseeable future.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We we're forced to pull off the aire at 1am due to a mob of men trying to attach hanging ropes to our chassis

They wouldn't be happy hanging from my MoHo, especially at Cite Europe, once of the train I don't stop until the McDonalds on the M1- 2.5 hours later.

Although I always check underneath when they stop me to turn of the gas.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Glad you're safe, it never ceases to amaze me that these type of people (no matter how desperate they may be), think that we'd want them to settle in our country.

Won't be long before someone is seriously hurt with all this going on. Please don't let it be a Funster.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We never stop closer than thirty to fifty miles from the ports/tunnel. Why take a chance of this happening?

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Glad you're safe, it never ceases to amaze me that these type of people (no matter how desperate they may be), think that we'd want them to settle in our country.

Won't be long before someone is seriously hurt with all this going on. Please don't let it be a Funster.
I don't think they give much thought to what we want. Their focus, very sensibly, is getting away from whatever hell we can't begin to comprehend. (Unless Waitrose runs out of Quinoa)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We never stop closer than thirty to fifty miles from the ports/tunnel. Why take a chance of this happening?
Us too. Favourites are the Aires at Le Crotoy and Le Touquet, lovely places in their own rights and just 60 - 90 minutes from Calais.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm sorry but a majority of these people will be economic migrants . I don't go in for, oh the terrible place they must be escaping from. They have a safe place in France. What's worrying is the level of aggression appears to be increasing .
I'm grateful for the warnings on here about different Aires.

Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
We have used the Ouisterham ferry a lot over the years. We came back via there last week. Saw a number of migrants hanging around near the Esso filling station on the outskirts of the town, and more in the town.
The security in the port has been stepped up since our last visit. Our car was checked twice, and the douane made a lorry driver pull back the sheets on his curtainsider trailer. There were also armed soldiers there.
However it is obvious that the aire is not safe and I would echo the advice to stay further from the port.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back