Warning Oil filled radiator leaks (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
For many years we left an oil filled radiator in the motorhome to keep the chill off while at home.
Something I would never do again, we got two less than a year ago for the apartment, and with this cold spell we have been using them, we never leave any heating On over night and went to move one today to find oil leaking out, not a major problem with tiled floors and it will be going back tomorrow, but to think I left one in the motorhome unoccupied for long periods we feel we were very lucky, and next time the truma would be left On. (y) Bob.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK scare story alert!
When we first moved into our house, it had storage heaters, which were great in the fact that they were useless in almost every weather condition that prevailed.
We combated this by purchasing several oil filled radiators.

Eventually we had proper central heating fitted, and so the oil filled radiators were surplus to requirements. So we were heading out on a road trip to Portugal, and my father asked if we would drop off the electric rads, so they had some extra heating over and above the open fire.

This is literally the luckiest escape ever, they wanted the place to be nice and warm, and didn't want to light a fire, because that is really dangerous, so they left the electric rad on low. Anyway, several hours later, they arrived home, just in time to witness the electric rad bursting into flames! 10 minutes later and the whole house would have been gone!!!!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
In my previous life I sold oil filled rads (along with many other lecky things) which were made in Ireland.
The boxes were plastered with signs and arrows stating that the boxes were to always be kept upright in case of leakage.
Guess what......we opened several where the rads were upside down in the box. Only the Irish........:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Richard.

RickT

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato McLouis
Exp
1 Year
For many years we left an oil filled radiator in the motorhome to keep the chill off while at home.
Something I would never do again, we got two less than a year ago for the apartment, and with this cold spell we have been using them, we never leave any heating On over night and went to move one today to find oil leaking out, not a major problem with tiled floors and it will be going back tomorrow, but to think I left one in the motorhome unoccupied for long periods we feel we were very lucky, and next time the truma would be left On. (y) Bob.
That's awful. I had no idea these things could leak, I haven't got one and now after reading this, I will never have one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
That's why we use a convector heater in the van. Nothing to leak, nothing to combust just a metal box with the heater wires inside with a thermostat, thermal trip and a tilt switch in case of tipping, even has a metal bottom so if an element dropped it would stay within the unit. Cheap as chips and work very well.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
That's why we use a convector heater in the van. Nothing to leak, nothing to combust just a metal box with the heater wires inside with a thermostat, thermal trip and a tilt switch in case of tipping, even has a metal bottom so if an element dropped it would stay within the unit. Cheap as chips and work very well.

Could I use one of those on hook up on a campsite @andy63

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
20170125_104916.jpg
Yes you can, we use one on hook up to save using the Truma heating (gas only)..

Thank you .. will look in b&q today. Appreciate your response.

Edit.... just realised, I have this in my bathroom .. will this be alright?

Attachments

• 20170125_104938.jpg
    20170125_104938.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Yes we use always use ours on site, it has 750w and 1200w settings. 750 is usually all that is needed unless it is seriously freezing, then you can go higher up to 2000w. No point in running gas or diesel heating if hooked up and already paid for electricity.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We had one, which leaked recently, ( A "Cheap as chips" Chinese One). But the older ones with lots of years on them are OK. The leak BTW came from actually where the Element was "sealed" into the Screwed Plug. On the face of it, it would appear that the suspect part is the element? (picture).

Attachments

• IMG_20170125_093326192.jpg
    IMG_20170125_093326192.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 116

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Quite a few electric heaters you'll see the warning do not leave unattended!

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 144436

Thank you .. will look in b&q today. Appreciate your response.

Would depend what amp hook up you were on Joy as it is roughly 8 amps on full power.

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi joy sorry I missed your post.. it's been answered anyway...
I saw your post about the heater from screw fix not working in your van and asked a question on that thread...
Andy.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi joy sorry I missed your post.. it's been answered anyway...
I saw your post about the heater from screw fix not working in your van and asked a question on that thread...
Andy.

Thanks Andy .. @andy63 .. you may recall I phoned you when I was in Screwfix re amps and power ... you knew more than they did. :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Quite a few electric heaters you'll see the warning do not leave unattended!

Yes Jim. Generally an "a**e" covering thing by the maker, and more likely where exposed elements are used. On the whole it`s the usual balancing act. Do You risk it, or Not?. I have, for many years in storage because bringing the bedding / soft furnishings etc; into the (Small) bungalow. Would be near impossible!. Good quality heaters are pretty "bomb proof", Mine are (?) years old, and run on a separate thermostat control (15C) to keep the M-H "aired" not "toasty"!.

The recent (Cheap) acquisition, originally for the Toilet indoors, went bandit and leaked, onto Vynl thankfully. My take is that the QC in the Chinese factory missed it!. Which is bound to happen given the volume they chuck out!. You can potentially have as much damage, (OK barring a fire) from Damp and Mould and at Very low temperatures De Humidifiers are VERY inefficient if not useless.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Instructions are for Wimps:cooler::doh:
Or did you mean the, where did It go wrong check list
You did know
"Please read all instructions before installation or Use"
Is actually a dare
and reads
Ask yerself Punk do ya feel lucky

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Screenshot_2017-01-26-09-17-22.png
It was me (Janie) that decided that oil filled radiators, and this particular, expensive, model was what would suit our needs. I think we have just been unlucky with one (hopefully) of them. The newer model of this even comes with a timer on it, they are intended to be left to do their own thing, unattended or otherwise. Agreed the old ones go on for donkeys years but the design changes have probably made for a better, faster, distribution of heat possibly creating more opportunity for a leak of this nature. Safetywise, I would not leave Christmas lights on, or a tumble dryer but will happily leave an oil filled radiator. Worst bit coming up is you have to give the new one a couple of hours at high heat but with the windows wide open, what a waste of energy :-( Janie
Lol, hello Bryan in the corner :)

Reactions: BwB

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just bought one O these HERE
@ £14.95 inc postage seems a deal to me, 3 settings that should fit in most sites power supplys
750 Watt
1200 Watt
2000 Watt
There is of course a downside
Delivery Via Herpes:doh::Eeek:

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
I know this thread is rather old but I was just wondering... I have a small oil filled radiator in the van to keep her toasty. My van has gas central heating. Wouldn't it be more efficient to run the heating off the gas rather than run the radiator? Would appreciate your views.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Shouldn`t be using that in your bathroom, where does it plug in, adjacent room / landing ?
Or do you have 13 amp socket outlets in your bathroom ? :confused::confused::confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back