Free Member
Jan 14, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido
Exp
since 2006
Mods please feel free to move to “Base vehicle” but need some quick feed back.

Having just driven 200 miles back to Essex an engine warning light has appeared on the dash and the van has gone into Econo limp mode ....down on power in order to get one home .

So we are now staying with family in the Brentwood area in our 2015 150 bhp Ducato and need to sort the problem before departing for a long trip to Spain.

Can anyone offer any pointers on warning light and secondly any GOOD indie commercial garages or Fiat commercial garages within a sensible drive from Brentwood eg Chelmsford , Basildon, Romford, etc

Cheers guys, hope our luck gets better

Attachments

• D6DB9185-71B6-4700-A059-2A2809C3A79F.jpeg
    D6DB9185-71B6-4700-A059-2A2809C3A79F.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 126

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Our 2014, developed a problem with warning lights. It was a known dashboard fault. When we turned off the cruise control system, the warning lights went off. May well be something else, but try the above.

OP
OP
DINGER

DINGER

Free Member
Jan 14, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido
Exp
since 2006
I will double check this Dogeared..... van loss torque and yellow light come on.
A few persons on another forum are suggesting EGR valve, ......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
i Can’t help you with the problem,but I suggest you invest in one of these so you can clear the fault if it happens again and that will take it out of limp mode so you can carry on your journey.

Broken Link Removed

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
It's called the CEL, or Check engine light. It's part of the engine specific on board diagnostics. Impossible to say what the "code" might be for exactly without a device to read it.
Can't offer any advice on garages as it's not my area.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
DO NOT CLEAR THE FAULT..
It is very useful for the garage to see the conditions in which it appeared as well as the actual code.
If you clear the code then you wipe that data. If the light does not come back on before you take it to the garage then you will incur larger diagnosis costs than you would have if you left it alone.
Turning the light off with a device off ebay WILL NOT fix your van.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you will only know what that is by plugging in the appropriate Fiat reader softwaer to the obd port.

the fact that it has gone straight to Limp mode indicates the engine management system thinks it needs protecting.

it could be something very simple , there are a multitude of reasons that light appears.

if you do clear the fault code before doing so note the code down so the garage or whoever has a chance of going to the right place.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
DO NOT CLEAR THE FAULT..
It is very useful for the garage to see the conditions in which it appeared as well as the actual code.
If you clear the code then you wipe that data. If the light does not come back on before you take it to the garage then you will incur larger diagnosis costs than you would have if you left it alone.
Turning the light off with a device off ebay WILL NOT fix your van.
When working for Volvo trucks and reading fault codes with laptop it would still give and retain fault codes that had been deleted onboard vehicle. The only way to do a total delete would only be available through the laptop for obvious reasons

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You need to have the ECU fault codes read.
You can guess until your blue in the face but you won't get anywhere.
You could continue guessing..... Let's replace the DPF first... No, still in limp.
How about ALL the fuel system sensors one at a time..... Its sure to be one of those... Nope, still not right.
How about a new turbo, that might sort it.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
I think the problem is caused by driving too slowly, the engine needs to be driven at higher revs
to heat up the DPF and burn the crap that has built up inside, can be reset by laptop but needs
a good run to clear it out.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
When working for Volvo trucks and reading fault codes with laptop it would still give and retain fault codes that had been deleted onboard vehicle. The only way to do a total delete would only be available through the laptop for obvious reasons
I don't do trucks :D
All I know is the car based systems I work on delete the snapshot data when you reset the code. :(

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I think the problem is caused by driving too slowly, the engine needs to be driven at higher revs
to heat up the DPF and burn the crap that has built up inside, can be reset by laptop but needs
a good run to clear it out.
You've taken a massive assumption that it's a blocked dpf.. It could be any number of things..
With a possible 10,000 possible codes available to throw the light on, that is one massive shot in the dark..
On top of which, a DPF is not going to unblock if it's ash build up by ramping it up the road.. More likely you burn a hole in the side of it and set light to the van in an extreme case.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
I don't do trucks :D
All I know is the car based systems I work on delete the snapshot data when you reset the code. :(
But a fiat ducatto is a light truck. ? And what’s the point of having a system we’re joe bogs can delete fault codes. Sorry proper dealer workshops can still read deleted fault codes done it loads of times. Can’t see why the car game is different I no for a fact land rover is the same

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
All I know is orange or yellow light is crack on driver if it’s red light ring it in.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
I don't., nor did, doesn't mean to say we didn't have OEM diagnostics.
Sorry mate a basic fault code reader cannot read deleted fault codes that have been dash deleted. A dealer or franchise one can fact

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All I know is orange or yellow light is crack on driver if it’s red light ring it in.
Yep, crack on to Spain in limp mode.
The OP said the engine is in limp mode and they're heading to Spain.
That's going to take a while especially if they're going over the massif central or Pyrenees.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Sorry mate a basic fault code reader cannot read deleted fault codes that have been dash deleted. A dealer or franchise one can fact
I said OEM diagnostics, not a "basic code reader" I know full well they are a pile of shit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Exactly what my dealer told me. Orange = could be anything but not serious red = serious.
It could be anything including an incorrectly adjusted brake switch.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
CEL does not turn red, only orange..
Would not trust that terrible advice. :D

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I Only said about the OBD reader as a way of getting it out of limp mode so you can carry on at a safer pace than limp mode lets you. When you read the code take a photo of it before you clear it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I Only said about the OBD reader as a way of getting it out of limp mode so you can carry on at a safer pace than limp mode lets you. When you read the code take a photo of it before you clear it.
If the faults still there it will throw the same code and drop into limp after it's cleared again and again until its fixed.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
key off key on will "usually" get you out of limp until it rechecks that systems "readiness"
How long that is before it rethrows the wobbler orange card is a lottery :D

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
You were asking for advice, and I now realise that a hundred and one things can cause the light to come on.
Our problem was a dodgy/Faulty injector cap. These are hidden under a plastic cover at the front of the cam cover ( where the oil goes in) They replaced it twice and we have had no problems since. Perhaps because I carry a spare one now!
Apparently, they told me that one connection fires the injector and the other talks to the computer and they go out of sync.
Cant say if this helps but you might feel better in the morning by having a look around
Best wishes

Mike

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
If the faults still there it will throw the same code and drop into limp after it's cleared again and again until its fixed.

not always as I’ve had a few faults come up,and only happens when I am in France and doing a lot of miles,I clear it and can carry on. Sometimes,like you say they come back,but mostly not straight away and let you carry on to your destination.

OP
OP
DINGER

DINGER

Free Member
Jan 14, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido
Exp
since 2006
Ok guys....
Firstly thank you for all your inputs. Just to clarify, when the light came on it became sluggish as if the turbo had been switched off.....limp mode may of been misleading on my part.

A chap from another forum who happen to live close by , popped in and produced the following read out.

I shall try some additives in the tank to see if it assist and the take it somewhere warmed with the fault code

Attachments

• AE30C8B7-AE0F-4693-8BD1-02E2B78E0A44.jpeg
    AE30C8B7-AE0F-4693-8BD1-02E2B78E0A44.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 82

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread