warning for the use of broadband dongles abroad (1 Viewer)

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
went to holland three weeks ago for 5 days and used the internet by the way of a dongle to keep up with my daughters blog on her three week trip to africa only for about an hour at the most for the entire trip,
my daughter has come back now and has tried to connect to the internet using her dongle and we kept getting a cannot connect message
i phoned up and they told me that they had suspended the account even though they took the normal rate of money out of my account.
on asking why they said that because we had took the dongle and used it in holland that we owed them £500 for what we used WHAT
anyway you thought that they would have emailed us or phoned us to warn us of the costs
anyway after telling them we were not going to pay and that we would go the our mp, papers etc they have sorted it out as it was the first time we had took it out of the country
should think so as well as £500 for an hours worth of surfing is pants

I AM TELLING YOU THIS SO TO WARN YOU ALL AND ANYBODY YOU KNOW ABOUT THE COST OF USING BROADBAND ABROAD

£1.50 A MB

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know about now but vodaphone was £15 per Mb for foriegn usage

just looked and its now £1.50 Mb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The cost using your dongle abroad, i thought was widely known, the cheapest dongle for the last year to use abroad was the vodaphone one on contract where you could ring up and pay £10 for a straight 24hrs - in one hit wether you wanted to stay on day and night or not, it possibly still is. The EU in brussels have been on the case of the mobile phone suppliers for the last year - hence the drop in call charges whilst abroad but they are still trying to get the mobile internet call charges reduced.
While having your dongle with you as a 'if needs must' emergancy type thing it is free at mcdonalds and usuallly cheaper to either use an internet cafe or site wifi if you are on a site.
A lot of the french and spanish companies are tightening up on how they sell dongle sims, and are asking for things like bank account proof, residancy proof etc, before you can get one which is a pain.

Last edited:

johnny K

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Home in Reading
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
Many years
Hi we found it possble to use a library to pick up internet in Spain. :Smile:
went to holland three weeks ago for 5 days and used the internet by the way of a dongle to keep up with my daughters blog on her three week trip to africa only for about an hour at the most for the entire trip,
my daughter has come back now and has tried to connect to the internet using her dongle and we kept getting a cannot connect message
i phoned up and they told me that they had suspended the account even though they took the normal rate of money out of my account.
on asking why they said that because we had took the dongle and used it in holland that we owed them £500 for what we used WHAT
anyway you thought that they would have emailed us or phoned us to warn us of the costs
anyway after telling them we were not going to pay and that we would go the our mp, papers etc they have sorted it out as it was the first time we had took it out of the country
should think so as well as £500 for an hours worth of surfing is pants

I AM TELLING YOU THIS SO TO WARN YOU ALL AND ANYBODY YOU KNOW ABOUT THE COST OF USING BROADBAND ABROAD

£1.50 A MB

Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im not proud to admit it but a couple of years ago before the dongle took off I conected in france using my PAYG phone as a mobile modem,just to see if it would work:Doh:
It cost me £35 to view the front page and read two posts:cry::cry:
Jim still hasnt reimburst me yet:Doh:
Geo

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Orange have a new bundle for their contract data dongles, orange eurpe data daily, comes in about £7.xx + vat per day used and includes the first 50mb, not fantastic but if you use it mainly for forums and catching up on e-mail etc it works out not much diffrent to a paid for wifi connection.

Been using it the last couple days in Germany and whilst its not as good as the UK service its been pretty good, just have to make sure you stay below the 50mb, works midnight to midnight, use any data in the period and they charge you the flat fee, use nothing and you don't pay.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I haven't unlocked my dongle that I had free recently yet, but whilst in France recently John checked on his I phone to compare what the weather was doing in France to the UK a couple of times at most ..cost £25 ... did I really need to know at that price? :Angry::Angry:
It is norm wet n overcast in Wales n sunny in warm everywhere else ..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back