Warning faulty LPG gas cylinders (2 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my first job would be to fit drop vents in the gas locker or at least make sure any existing ones arent blocked with anything...bottles in particular.

LPG is heavier than air and will 'fall' through the vents to the outside air.....thats why they are fitted.

if the vents are present and clear then gas will NOT find its way into the hab area.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Interesting this did not get any further input by OP :RollEyes:
mmmmm just adds to the holes in the story. certainly looking more like an alarmist attention seeker trying to wind people up with a phoney story:Angry:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i am still at a loss how this could happen...:Doh: but at least it gets you to check your vents and hoses.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You know, after reading the OP I had a real nagging feeling..
Sooooooooooo

ran a check and also mailed a chap who does nowt but lpg installs..

Everywhere I get the same answer.

Propane does not poison you AS SUCH.. Yes, if you inhale enough of it ( and apparently it is a MASSIVE dose ) you could eventually be asphyxiated due mainly to lack of oxygen, but as mentioned there is a carbon monoxide component too which does not help..

David said unless it was a very small van with absolutely no gas drops it might well take around half a bottle to cause even slight issues.
Further, as mentioned there is the scent put in it. As it happens I have some personal experience of this too..
Extended exposure to propane on clothing and furnishings will make them stink to high heaven..

It is a REAL SOD to get the smell out of clothing.. repeated washing was my experience !!

A big a leak as this would have to be, the smell could permeate in to the soft furnishings and fittings to such an extent it could not be got rid of without some very serious chemical cleaning action ( I think this last bit is bordering on conjecture or pos scare mongering by David, amplified by my experience which is proly not the norm )

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You know, after reading the OP I had a real nagging feeling..
Sooooooooooo

ran a check and also mailed a chap who does nowt but lpg installs..

Everywhere I get the same answer.

Propane does not poison you AS SUCH.. Yes, if you inhale enough of it ( and apparently it is a MASSIVE dose ) you could eventually be asphyxiated due mainly to lack of oxygen, but as mentioned there is a carbon monoxide component too which does not help..

David said unless it was a very small van with absolutely no gas drops it might well take around half a bottle to cause even slight issues.
Further, as mentioned there is the scent put in it. As it happens I have some personal experience of this too..
Extended exposure to propane on clothing and furnishings will make them stink to high heaven..

It is a REAL SOD to get the smell out of clothing.. repeated washing was my experience !!

A big a leak as this would have to be, the smell could permeate in to the soft furnishings and fittings to such an extent it could not be got rid of without some very serious chemical cleaning action ( I think this last bit is bordering on conjecture or pos scare mongering by David, amplified by my experience which is proly not the norm )

How do you know his name?

or is David your man?

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One of my first posts on this forum was about a Gaslow gauge I fitted to keep a check on how full my tank was, and its brass casing actually split, causing the contents of an entire 13Kg cylinder to leak out one afternoon when I opened the stopcock to put the heater on after winter storage. Fortunately it leaked out into open air through the safety vent and not into the habitation area.

I returned it to Gaslow and the only response I got was new gauge. They made no comment about the gauge having experienced -16 degrees of frost on its UK storage site that winter, but I've always suspected that played a part.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
The 20% air gap in the top of the bottle is for the vapour take off cos Propane boils off at -47 degrees thats when it turns from liquid to gas.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
One of my first posts on this forum was about a Gaslow gauge I fitted to keep a check on how full my tank was, and its brass casing actually split, causing the contents of an entire 13Kg cylinder to leak out one afternoon when I opened the stopcock to put the heater on after winter storage. Fortunately it leaked out into open air through the safety vent and not into the habitation area.

I returned it to Gaslow and the only response I got was new gauge. They made no comment about the gauge having experienced -16 degrees of frost on its UK storage site that winter, but I've always suspected that played a part.
I wouldnt expect a failure caused by just -16 degrees, as the nature of LPG is that it will generate colder temperatures gassing off from a liquid. these valves are normally good for -30ish in extreme conditions, then it would still need either a thermal or physical shock to crack it.

more likely is a tension crack from a bad joint or casting fault. these things do happen though even if there are only a few failures per thousand units made

I have seen the cylinders being made and they are pressure tested at new to ensure they are safe. the parts that can and do fail are generally moving parts like valves and fittings screwed into the cylinder at the wrong torque setting. like all engineering though there are tolerances involved and everything is made to a specification.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OMG we cant take the risk any more we have ripped out our gaslow and gone back to a log burning stove and flint to start it don't panic don't panic
it's the fuzze wozzes they don't like it up um:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi, as a new member I wanted to seek other member advice but also to flag a warning. When I bought my used motor home I had it fully serviced, new MoT and also paid for a habitation check which included all gas appliances and fittings. Everything seemed to work fine and I went for a 3 day break to check all was well with the motor home. This was a prelude to a 2 month tour of Europe down to southern Italy. I'd filled up the twin LPG gas cylinders at Dover and started my tour. The following week I was going through the lower Alps in Provence en route to Nice. As I was tired from the driving, I pulled over in an Aire and went for a sleep on board. I started to wake feeling extremely groggy - the cabin was full of gas - I barely made it out and collapsed on the grass outside. It was a very hot summer's day with outside temperatures in excess of 30 degrees C. When I eventually felt well enough to get up, I checked the 2 LPG gas cylinders and both stop cocks were fully turned off and shouldn't have leaked gas.
I got no support from the provider of the Gas equipment (not mentioning any names at the moment) and it left my confidence badly shaken, not to mention if I hadn't woken up in time I probably wouldn't be writing this now!

Eventually, when I returned back to England, the gas equipment provider investigated and found that both Gas safety stop cock valves had been screwed down TOO FAR and impacted on the internal safety mechanism. Every cylinder has a mechanism which is located internally that allows filling with LPG to 80% only. The remaining 20% is a margin of safety. The engineer told me that because the stop cock valves had been screwed down all the way (should have stopped about 1 cm from the end) then this prevented the safety mechanism from being activated and as a result both tanks became over pressurised to 100%. The engineer told me that this is likely to have happened at their factory and when I got to the south of France the higher temperatures probably triggered the regulator to discharge the gas. He also found there were several holes in the compartment that vented to the inside of the cabin - again a poor installation.

I'm not sure what I can do in this situation as the gas equipment provider wants to wash their hands of it and hush it up. The Gas Habitation check never picked up on this, even though I got a nice certificate saying everything was safe and in order - so left me with a ticking time bomb. Potentially, I don't think most motorhomers would know about this at all - there is a lot of trust from the consumer on the providers to get it right - but mistakes are made. So all I can ask is that members who read this get their gas cylinders double checked to make sure the stop cock valves on top of each cylinder are adjusted and sealed to the correct distance from the top of the cylinder housing to allow the safety mechanism inside to operate correctly to 80% of max pressure. I foolishly believed that once the stop cock valves had been tightened to the fully closed position i.e. shut off fully, that there could be no escape of gas. This is not the case and the gas regulator system will still allow gas to escape even with these stop cock valves fully closed.

There have been fatalities due to faulty gas equipment - last year I read that a family were killed by this type of event whilst sleeping on a boat. The gas equipment supplied is similar.
So all I can do is flag this as a warning based on my own experience. I would welcome constructive comments from the forum. RedLorry321 (new to site)
we have a like button useful post button is there a useless post button
:Eeek:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
As I fitted my own cylinder I was able to fill the system from empty. The paperwork from Gaslow indicated that on the first fill you should carefully check that the shut off valve does shut off at the 80% point and gave an approximate value in litres.

It did shut off the supply, in fact it stopped a little early.

If the system is installed by a approved installer I understand they partially fill the cylinder - I guess they only put in enough LPG to pressure tests?. So the same rules on 80% fill apply.

I work with compressed gas a lot. I always wear PPE and pay attention.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Not many details on his avatar !!!![/QUOTE]

Apart from redlorry, same colour as Calor gas delivery wagons, somebody maybe hasn‘t met this months sales figures, that‘s as I see it, stood over here on the grassy knoll :ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not many details on his avatar !!!!

Apart from redlorry, same colour as Calor gas delivery wagons, somebody maybe hasn‘t met this months sales figures, that‘s as I see it, stood over here on the grassy knoll :ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]
just wondering has he been sniffing to much gas:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Now you lot of disbelievers, looks like the post was genuine and the OP has now been permanently gassed passed away.:winky:
with a bit of luck :ROFLMAO: most just introduce there shelf first then start the scaremongering:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My Turn....

THE MARTIANS HAVE LANDED IN MOTORHOMES!

I was driving across Mt Everest yesterday, (in first gear), when I decided to pull over for a sleep.
Must have been out for about an hour, when a sort of bright flash woke me up. Looking out through the hab window, I saw a whole fleet of Burstner's hovering over K2. I was shocked and amazed!
Slowly, they came over to my location, and landed. Doors opened, and lots of green people emerged! Going outside, I was greeted by the one who appeared to be their leader. "Where have you come from?", I asked.
"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMars!", it stuttered.

"WOW", I replied, "And how long has it taken you to get here?"

"TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTwenty thousand light years" My jaw fell open at this.

"And what can I do for you?" The green being crossed his fifteen legs.

"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCan we use your toilet???????

Well, after many trips to the Everest CC site elsen, they all climbed aboard and departed. I phoned up the AA at once, and the Pentagon. A large white helicopter arrived, complete with people also in white. I was only released from the 'Bide a Wee' mental institution last Thursday, and decided to go and warn all motorhome owners of this peril. I cant be bothered spending the £10.00 joining fee, as this will be my only post......WIBBLE :helpsos:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My Turn....

I was driving across Mt Everest yesterday, (in first gear), when I decided to pull over for a sleep.
Must have been out for about an hour, when a sort of bright flash woke me up. Looking out through the hab window, I saw a whole fleet of Burstner's hovering over K2. I was shocked and amazed!
Slowly, they came over to my location, and landed. Doors opened, and lots of green people emerged! Going outside, I was greeted by the one who appeared to be their leader. "Where have you come from?", I asked.

Well, after many trips to the Everest CC site elsen, they all climbed aboard and departed. I phoned up the AA at once, and the Pentagon. A large white helicopter arrived, complete with people also in white. I was only released from the 'Bide a Wee' mental institution last Thursday, and decided to go and warn all motorhome owners of this peril. I cant be bothered spending the £10.00 joining fee, as this will be my only post......WIBBLE :helpsos:
where did you get them drugs I want sum :ROFLMAO:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
My Turn....

Just a quick thought but you could have been affected by a faulty gas tap which could be leaking gas into your habitation area. There was a post on here recently about this very subject, maybe worth following up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back