WARNING: E&P Levellers fitted by Solar Solutions (1 Viewer)

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
I am writing this account as a warning to those who have had an E&P levelling system fitted by Solar Solutions of Sturminster Marshall in Dorset. It would be a very good idea to get your system independently checked.

In September 2019 Solar Solutions fitted an E&P levelling system to my motorhome. In August 2020 one of the rear rams started to drop by itself, so I took the van back to Solar Solutions under warranty and they replaced the faulty ram. They mentioned that they had had a few of these rams fail (more on this particular subject later). In October 2020, while in Italy, one of the crimped hose
joints failed spilling hydraulic oil everywhere. We were now getting rather concerned about the system - and the nearest E&P agent was over 500km away. By this time I had already lost confidence in Solar Solutions due to a problem with the Alugas system that they also installed, together with the fiasco that ensued when they attempted to organise a repair to the satellite dish. However, I will not go into further details of those issues here - they are mentioned only as
justification for seeking help and advice elsewhere.

My partner maz suggested phoning Mick at SAP in Doncaster for advice. I had already been
told off for not getting the levellers installed by him in the first place. Not all E&P installers are created equal, as I have found out the hard way. I posted a thread on Fun at the time detailing Mick’s exceptional efforts to help. In a nutshell, he found us a local garage who were able to do the repair that same afternoon. Brilliant!

Fast forward to April this year when we returned to the UK. While stuck in isolation playing around with Day 2 and Day 8 tests, I phoned Mick to make an appointment to have the levelling system checked, and in early May we arrived in Doncaster. By this time, the other rear ram had started to
drop by itself! Mick gave the system a thorough inspection - every single crimp joint done by Solar Solutions was defective. The only good joints on the van were those done by the Italian garage. How can an authorised E&P installer fail so miserably to fit a system properly? We are not talking a one-off duff joint here, but every single one! Mick had to replace all the hoses as well as
the second defective ram. He confirmed that there was a known issue with a batch of rams being badly machined so that they would leak oil over time. This second failing rear ram was one of that bad batch; the front rams were from a different batch and not problematic. Solar Solutions agreed to pay for the remedial work that Mick carried out, so that was a good thing. However, how many vans have Solar Solutions fitted E&P levellers to in the same defective manner? We fulltime and so our levellers get considerably more use than on most motorhomes. This is no doubt why we have become aware of the issue in a relatively short time - and within the 2-year warranty period. These defective joints will become problematic over time - as will the defective batch of rams.

The defective joints issue is solely down to Solar Solutions. They need to recall all the vans to which they fitted E&P levellers and inspect each and every joint. At this point I would like to draw attention to the fact that Solar Solutions did not notice the joints were defective when they replaced the first failing ram, nor when they topped up the pump reservoir. The defective rams issue is down to E&P themselves. They knew they had supplied a bad batch, yet they did nothing to correct the issue until each ram actually failed. They too should organise a recall of all vans fitted with these defective rams.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am writing this account as a warning to those who have had an E&P levelling system fitted by Solar Solutions of Sturminster Marshall in Dorset. It would be a very good idea to get your system independently checked.

In September 2019 Solar Solutions fitted an E&P levelling system to my motorhome. In August 2020 one of the rear rams started to drop by itself, so I took the van back to Solar Solutions under warranty and they replaced the faulty ram. They mentioned that they had had a few of these rams fail (more on this particular subject later). In October 2020, while in Italy, one of the crimped hose
joints failed spilling hydraulic oil everywhere. We were now getting rather concerned about the system - and the nearest E&P agent was over 500km away. By this time I had already lost confidence in Solar Solutions due to a problem with the Alugas system that they also installed, together with the fiasco that ensued when they attempted to organise a repair to the satellite dish. However, I will not go into further details of those issues here - they are mentioned only as
justification for seeking help and advice elsewhere.

My partner maz suggested phoning Mick at SAP in Doncaster for advice. I had already been
told off for not getting the levellers installed by him in the first place. Not all E&P installers are created equal, as I have found out the hard way. I posted a thread on Fun at the time detailing Mick’s exceptional efforts to help. In a nutshell, he found us a local garage who were able to do the repair that same afternoon. Brilliant!

Fast forward to April this year when we returned to the UK. While stuck in isolation playing around with Day 2 and Day 8 tests, I phoned Mick to make an appointment to have the levelling system checked, and in early May we arrived in Doncaster. By this time, the other rear ram had started to
drop by itself! Mick gave the system a thorough inspection - every single crimp joint done by Solar Solutions was defective. The only good joints on the van were those done by the Italian garage. How can an authorised E&P installer fail so miserably to fit a system properly? We are not talking a one-off duff joint here, but every single one! Mick had to replace all the hoses as well as
the second defective ram. He confirmed that there was a known issue with a batch of rams being badly machined so that they would leak oil over time. This second failing rear ram was one of that bad batch; the front rams were from a different batch and not problematic. Solar Solutions agreed to pay for the remedial work that Mick carried out, so that was a good thing. However, how many vans have Solar Solutions fitted E&P levellers to in the same defective manner? We fulltime and so our levellers get considerably more use than on most motorhomes. This is no doubt why we have become aware of the issue in a relatively short time - and within the 2-year warranty period. These defective joints will become problematic over time - as will the defective batch of rams.

The defective joints issue is solely down to Solar Solutions. They need to recall all the vans to which they fitted E&P levellers and inspect each and every joint. At this point I would like to draw attention to the fact that Solar Solutions did not notice the joints were defective when they replaced the first failing ram, nor when they topped up the pump reservoir. The defective rams issue is down to E&P themselves. They knew they had supplied a bad batch, yet they did nothing to correct the issue until each ram actually failed. They too should organise a recall of all vans fitted with these defective rams.

I think you should bring this matter to the attention of E&P in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Timely post for us. (y)

We had E&P jacks fitted in 2018 by SAP. In 2020 we were booked in twice with SAP for their complimentary 2 year check up and twice cancelled because of Covid. We are booked in again early next month so we can get it done on our way up to Scotland. I will mention that to Mick to see if ours were part of the duff batch.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Another vote for Mick and his team at SAP they are the experts in this system. They have fitted 3 systems for me and each time provided excellent customer care and excellent engineering solutions and fit to an extremely high standard. I would never consider going anywhere else.

Reactions: maz

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Timely post for us. (y)

We had E&P jacks fitted in 2018 by SAP. In 2020 we were booked in twice with SAP for their complimentary 2 year check up and twice cancelled because of Covid. We are booked in again early next month so we can get it done on our way up to Scotland. I will mention that to Mick to see if ours were part of the duff batch.
Please keep me informed Peter. (y)

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Another shout out for Mick and SAP too. Our van has been on their ramps since yesterday having full air and levellers installed,.we hope to.collecr on Thursday.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and Mick came back to site to let us in to their compound so we could stay the night, use their hook up and facilities too.

Superb service from the start.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We had our system installed by SAP in December 2020 and only used once but have the same issue of the ram dropping on its own accord. As they are 200 miles away I called Full Circle Enterprises (after speaking with SAP to confirm its a fault) as they are closer at about 70 miles to see about getting it replaced under warranty. They were happy to do it and booked for next week however they also wanted payment for doing it so they can send ram back to E&P and then issue a refund if E&P agree its faulty.

So I have spoken with E&P and SAP as I should not have to pay up front and SAP would of course fit a new ram for free and sort it out with E&P and I am waiting for E&P to confirm no cost to me and they will sort out with Full Circle.

I realise things do fail but am disappointed that a £5,500 system should fail so fast and the E&P warranty is not universally accepted by their agents, should be a quick replacement, check the system out to ensure no other issue's then on my way all for free. Waiting for E&P to call later today hopefully.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
It may be that some within the batch where faulty as I would imagine E&P have more than just one machine producing rams.
Yes but they could at least suggest you take it in as there may be an issue, same as a recall for a car etc. Ours drops 8 inches so is a possible danger say getting on a ferry if you do not realise it has dropped.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yeah but sure they have serial numbers and be able to trace who got what kit especially a company this size.

Yes but they could at least suggest you take it in as there may be an issue, same as a recall for a car etc. Ours drops 8 inches so is a possible danger say getting on a ferry if you do not realise it has dropped.

E&P's UK head office phone numbers are freely available, why don't ring them and ask your questions directly to them rather than just your hypothesis. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A complimentary inspection on all units installed during the period that the duff rams were fitted should be E&Ps priority. It's hardly a budget system

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
It may be that some within the batch where faulty as I would imagine E&P have more than just one machine producing rams.
We had E&P levellers fitted by SAP in 2019, so far no problem. You would think that they have some sort of quality checks done on a very regular basis as at engineering places I've worked.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
If E&P don't know what jack's were made when and where they have very poor quality control which I very much doubt so why no recall?

I have had my E&P jack's for 7yrs now no problems at all and same kit fitted to 2 vans by Mick

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
E&P's UK head office phone numbers are freely available, why don't ring them and ask your questions directly to them rather than just your hypothesis. (y)
I am in touch with them if you read my previous post:unsure:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We had our system installed by SAP in December 2020 and only used once but have the same issue of the ram dropping on its own accord. As they are 200 miles away I called Full Circle Enterprises (after speaking with SAP to confirm its a fault) as they are closer at about 70 miles to see about getting it replaced under warranty. They were happy to do it and booked for next week however they also wanted payment for doing it so they can send ram back to E&P and then issue a refund if E&P agree its faulty.

So I have spoken with E&P and SAP as I should not have to pay up front and SAP would of course fit a new ram for free and sort it out with E&P and I am waiting for E&P to confirm no cost to me and they will sort out with Full Circle.

I realise things do fail but am disappointed that a £5,500 system should fail so fast and the E&P warranty is not universally accepted by their agents, should be a quick replacement, check the system out to ensure no other issue's then on my way all for free. Waiting for E&P to call later today hopefully.
Full Circle fitted our E&P jacks and full air suspension.
We found them an excellent company to deal with so you should have no problems if they fit your replacement.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Full Circle fitted our E&P jacks and full air suspension.
We found them an excellent company to deal with so you should have no problems if they fit your replacement.
But why would they want payment up front for warranty?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A complimentary inspection on all units installed during the period that the duff rams were fitted should be E&Ps priority. It's hardly a budget system
If they are fitted by SAP they offer a complimentary check up on 2 years. See my post #4.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Courtside conversations tiverton devon, fitted ours, can’t fault them or the product. They put full air suspension on ours as well

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I am pretty sure SAP offered the first one free. Paul, Two on Tour was there at the same time as us so maybe he can confirm that or not.
This is the first time I'd heard of a check, free or otherwise. My two year check would have been due last month. There was nothing in the paperwork which even suggested a check. Does it cost or not?:unsure:

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
When you say the legs drop by how much do they drop over what time frame do they drop , is it when the van is parked

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back