warning data consumption rate in europe (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just a word of caution to anybody coming abroad and using mobile data devices

I have just accidentally gobbled through 5Gb of data in about 3 hours

turned on access to our home security which allows me to see home external cameras live via internet, up to about 3 this afternoon we had used 2Gb out 7Gb pre purchased, by half 7 the other 5 had gone

the only difference in usage appears to be accessing these cameras, I regularly do this when away but normally on somebody elses wifi, might need to rethink this

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That's the good thing about EE, no data roaming charges. You buy a set amount of data and when it's gone, it's gone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Typical !
We're looking at MIFI in our van
3 have a data only sim that you can use in many EU countries

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I am thinking of getting an iPhone 6 If I had an all you can eat date bundle can I link it into my applemac and iPad?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Typical !
We're looking at MIFI in our van
3 have a data only sim that you can use in many EU countries

that is what we have, a good device (motorhomewifi) once you master connection

bought the 3 sim for European use, virtually useless in Spain, good in France, if it had not been for my niaivity (apologies for spelling)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I was in at the"3" store last week to get my phone upgrade only to be told that they don't do the same package anymore as it was costing them money as data was unlimited:(. I could keep the contract I had but couldn't have a new phone or take out a new contract:unsure: They checked my data usage & it comes out at 13GB a month on average!(y) Needles to say I stayed with current contract lol.

Note to self don't browse Youtube so much. :):)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have "3" with the all you can eat unlimited Data package on the "One" Plan which allows totally unlimited tethering. This plan is no longer available. When away in the van in UK we tether all our devices to my phone.

If I upgrade the phone in future I will keep this plan, as the new "unlimited data" plans only allow about 3Gb of tethering a month.

When abroad in the 3 Feel at home countries you cannot tether a laptop, as its cuts your data connection off if you try to, but you can tether an iPad as you are still using Apps and therefore it does not cut you off.

For countries where the 3 "Feel at Home" is not yet working I use my Huawei MiFi with either local sims, such as Bliep in Holland, which gives you 500 mb per day at high speed then continues but at slow speed for the rest of the day for just € 0.50 cents per day.

If I am somewhere just for a day or two and don't have a local sim I use my Europa sim card, also 500 mb per day at high speed then continues at slow speed but € 3 per day.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I just upgraded my Galaxy S3 at the 3 Store and took a 10.5"Galaxy Tab S at £25 pm with 15GB data. It came with a Huawei mifi which I took although I already had one. There was an alternative of the same Tab with a SIM option. The phone I kept on a PAYGO AT £7 a month and yes, no tethering any more. When she checked my account for options she said "Ah, you made one phone call last month" :rolleyes: Read somewhere recently many people are actually using phones for anything but calls these days. That's my excuse anyway.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi rob
That's the good thing about EE, no data roaming charges. You buy a set amount of data and when it's gone, it's gone
there is still data roaming charges robert. i am sitting in spain at the moment with a EE data sim with 3 gb left on it and it wont work . i have had to buy data roaming add ons with the call credit on the sim , £3 for 50mb! unless i am missing something or not setting it up properly of course.
went into orange shop yesterday and bought a 1gb data sim valid for 30 days for €10 so thats good value but would love to use up the rest of my data on the EE sim. cheers sean

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
hi rob

there is still data roaming charges robert. i am sitting in spain at the moment with a EE data sim with 3 gb left on it and it wont work . i have had to buy data roaming add ons with the call credit on the sim , £3 for 50mb! unless i am missing something or not setting it up properly of course.
went into orange shop yesterday and bought a 1gb data sim valid for 30 days for €10 so thats good value but would love to use up the rest of my data on the EE sim. cheers sean
Hi Seanoo - your EE data allowance is only for the UK. Whenever you travel abroad your have to buy an add on
The point I was making was that with EE, you cant run up an unexpected bill - you'll never pay more than the cost of the add on.
Having said that the cost of the add on's is HIGH, so we're looking for a cheaper alternative for our travels next year - probably a MIFI and buy a data card locally. Then use the MIFI to provide internet for two phones in the van
Hope the weather is good with you!

Regards
Robert

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
cheers for clearing that up for me , i was hoping you would tell me that i could you my remaining data though!
never mind , the orange local sim is quite good value i think.
weather is peachy , 25 today!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have Android it is worth logging onto the Play store before you leave the UK and disable automatic updates. This will reduce data usage but it will also prevent your connection being monopolised for hours on end while it downloads updates.

To make this change, open Play store then tap on the 3 little bars in the top left hand corner then select settings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back