Warning credit card cloning (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Just a quick note for information purposes. We came back from France and jumped on the auto route at Cadex to Calais on the 21st the payage was automated and had no slots for the 3 and half euros so used a credit card. I have been informed by Halifax today that my credit card has been used 16 times and pending another 23 transactions due to cloning at this payage. I have sorted this out with Halifax and all is now ok except my credit card now looks like a jigsaw puzzle.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Not good :( at least Halifax was on the ball. Have you notified the French Autoroute company about this?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just a quick note for information purposes. We came back from France and jumped on the auto route at Cadex to Calais on the 21st the payage was automated and had no slots for the 3 and half euros so used a credit card. I have been informed by Halifax today that my credit card has been used 16 times and pending another 23 transactions due to cloning at this payage. I have sorted this out with Halifax and all is now ok except my credit card now looks like a jigsaw puzzle.
Sorry to hear of your problem but I'm interested to know how Halifax were able to inform you that it was due to cloning at the payage. When my card was scammed earlier this year Halifax refused to tell me the source of the scamming on the grounds that Mastercard and Visa do not provide them with the information.

Any help you can provide, therefore, as to how the information might be obtained would be most interesting.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Everything leaves a trail, you were doubtless not the only people caught at this payage, the card companies would be able to track the point of compromise to the payage through commonality.

There is a central clearing house type of setup where POC's are made againstt the operator that owns the particular machine to reclaim the amount(s) lost on each card,they also bear a fine of several hundred pounds for each POC claim, so if you lost ÂŁ3.50 in 3 separate claims it would cost the machine operator around a thousand pounds.

These are rules set in stone by LINK and must be abided by in order to trade.

Machine owners, ie ATM operators, spend millions each year on security but the weak link is usually the customer.

I have seen machines where the skimming device is as obvious as the nose on your face and yet people still put their cards in them.

Hymie.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I have seen machines where the skimming device is as obvious as the nose on your face and yet people still put their cards in them.

Hymie.

I'm not sure I would recognise a skimming device if I saw one.
I generally have a look amount the terminal for a camera or similar but that's about all. Fortunately for me I have not had a card cloned. Wouldn't do 'em any good anyway......... I've got no money :rofl:

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I understand that Baycott, the last time I took a device into a police station a detective I spoke to told me she had her card cloned on that particular machine and then went back to it several days later and had her new card cloned as well. :crying:

One tip, if you are in an area where there are several machines close to each other and only 1 is working beware, the bad guys usually break the machines that are out of service in order to move the traffic to the machine the device is fitted to.

It's known in the trade as "corralling".

Hymie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any transactions that you might suspect as the source Brian?

I used the card on this unsecured site WiFi to buy a connection. Just used wife's card to buy more so we'll see what happens. Otherwise no idea.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
Daz n Tina
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Sorry to hear of your problem but I'm interested to know how Halifax were able to inform you that it was due to cloning at the payage. When my card was scammed earlier this year Halifax refused to tell me the source of the scamming on the grounds that Mastercard and Visa do not provide them with the information.

Any help you can provide, therefore, as to how the information might be obtained would be most interesting.
I am not sure how they know but I only used my card a few times and the man from Halifax informed me where it happened

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I used the card on this unsecured site WiFi to buy a connection. Just used wife's card to buy more so we'll see what happens. Otherwise no idea.
I am not sure how they know but I only used my card a few times and the man from Halifax informed me where it happened
Thank you both.

My card had only been used for two telephone transactions and three or four on-line transactions but Halifax promised me that they simply didn't have access to any information about which one might have provided the information for the scam.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Just had a phone call today from MBNA to query suspicious transactions. 3 from some gaming sites of ÂŁ30 to ÂŁ40 and one of nearly ÂŁ800 from Cyprus (I've never been to Cyprus)
Good to see CC Co is on the ball.
Downside is we now have to wait a few days for new cards.
Still that'll stop Gwen spending anything for a while. :whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just had a phone call today from MBNA to query suspicious transactions. 3 from some gaming sites of ÂŁ30 to ÂŁ40

Similar pattern on mine they said.

Someone has asked me if I booked the Lincoln show with the CC, the answer is yes. Wasn't there a thread linking shows to CC cloning a while ago ?

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Me too Mike. Have heard of cards being cloned at shows before, guess cash might be the way with market type dealers. Great meet though :party:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Mrs BB was done in Cite Europ at the ?Credit Agricole? with the caff directly opposite. The system picked up the clone when she used hers in Amsterdam at the same time as an Albanian lady was using it in Bari. Had the replacement cards within 48 hours and all monies refunded in the same time scale. We always physically check ATM's now but there's little that can be done to protect card details once given with the security code either online or on the phone. *Incidentally the Guardia di Finanza/Carabinieri caught the gang involved*. They had clones from hundreds of cards from all over North West France.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Most cash machines have a light panel above the keyboard and some NCR machines have a recessed monitor, and this usually where a camera will be hidden.

A quick glance at the light panel should show if there is a hole in it, even a minute one, and the recessed monitor should be a single piece affair, if there is a join near along the top edge section this can indicate a device is fitted, again a quick glance would probably confirm this.

Modern technology and cheap prices mean that the camera used is often a stripped down ÂŁ15 mobile telephone or a tiny pinhole camera costing a few pounds, but whatever it is it still needs a line of sight to the keyboard.

If you do by chance spot a device you should never remove it, call the number for the ATM owner and ask them to close the ATM, a simple message can be sent instantly to do this, and call thepolice, they will come and remove it.

By touching it you destroy evidence and add your own fingerprints to the mix.

Card reader devices are sometimes harder to detect, and too many variations to go into here but the rule of thumb is always: if it don't see safe then don't use it.

You would not leave your car keys or house keys in the lock knowingly, but most people will not take the slightest bit of care when using a cash machine, even though they may have more cash in their account than the cost of a new car.

Always do a visual check, always crowd yourself in towards the monitor and try not to leave a line of site, ALWAYS cover the hand inputting the PIN number, even if there is a pin guard fitted, and if your card is held in the machine ring your bank immediately and then inform the machine owner, there is usually a free phone number somewhere on the machine.

Their is always another machine nearby, if you are in any doubt about the machine you are at then move away and find another one, but again do the checks at that one also, if in doubt then simply do not use it, there is nothing that urgent you need to put your hard earned cash at risk.

And please don't fall into the trap of believing that a bank ATM is any safer than an independently owned machine, to a bank an ATM is a burden that the bank has to suffer the cost of, but to an independent operator their machines are their only source of income and they do as much, if not more, than the banks to stay ahead of the fraudsters.

Be safe.

Hymie.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We always take care with ATMs and, where possible, use machines inside bank premises.

What annoys me though - and picking up on the point that we would not leave our car keys or house keys in the lock knowingly - is that the credit card companies do not do all they can to help customers safeguard themselves. I was most surprised to see that Halifax Bank informed Daz n Tina of the source of their problem because they told me that they could not tell me the source of my scamming because Mastercard do not provide them with that sort of information.

I can feel a complaint to the regulator coming on.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Most cash machines have a light panel above the keyboard and some NCR machines have a recessed monitor, and this usually where a camera will be hidden.

A quick glance at the light panel should show if there is a hole in it, even a minute one, and the recessed monitor should be a single piece affair, if there is a join near along the top edge section this can indicate a device is fitted, again a quick glance would probably confirm this.

Modern technology and cheap prices mean that the camera used is often a stripped down ÂŁ15 mobile telephone or a tiny pinhole camera costing a few pounds, but whatever it is it still needs a line of sight to the keyboard.

If you do by chance spot a device you should never remove it, call the number for the ATM owner and ask them to close the ATM, a simple message can be sent instantly to do this, and call thepolice, they will come and remove it.

By touching it you destroy evidence and add your own fingerprints to the mix.

Card reader devices are sometimes harder to detect, and too many variations to go into here but the rule of thumb is always: if it don't see safe then don't use it.

You would not leave your car keys or house keys in the lock knowingly, but most people will not take the slightest bit of care when using a cash machine, even though they may have more cash in their account than the cost of a new car.

Always do a visual check, always crowd yourself in towards the monitor and try not to leave a line of site, ALWAYS cover the hand inputting the PIN number, even if there is a pin guard fitted, and if your card is held in the machine ring your bank immediately and then inform the machine owner, there is usually a free phone number somewhere on the machine.

Their is always another machine nearby, if you are in any doubt about the machine you are at then move away and find another one, but again do the checks at that one also, if in doubt then simply do not use it, there is nothing that urgent you need to put your hard earned cash at risk.

And please don't fall into the trap of believing that a bank ATM is any safer than an independently owned machine, to a bank an ATM is a burden that the bank has to suffer the cost of, but to an independent operator their machines are their only source of income and they do as much, if not more, than the banks to stay ahead of the fraudsters.

Be safe.

Hymie.

Very sound advice!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We always take care with ATMs and, where possible, use machines inside bank premises.

What annoys me though - and picking up on the point that we would not leave our car keys or house keys in the lock knowingly - is that the credit card companies do not do all they can to help customers safeguard themselves. I was most surprised to see that Halifax Bank informed Daz n Tina of the source of their problem because they told me that they could not tell me the source of my scamming because Mastercard do not provide them with that sort of information.

I can feel a complaint to the regulator coming on.

GJH, the Halifax member of staff who told you they didn't have that info was being 'corporate' or lazy. Much easier to fob you off with the answer they gave. If you ask the 'card fraud department' or whatever Halifax calls it they should (but are not bound to) give you the answer. Knowing your skill with the written word I'm sure that you will get an answer. I work for people who have a team (small) who combat cyber crime full time, their skills and work, which loosely compliments what I do, is breathtaking. The information is there you just have to know who's door to knock/hammer!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It was the card fraud department who originally told me they could not give me the information, since confirmed by the Executive Complaints team.

I'm not surprised, have you mentioned where you will be taking it next? That may focus some minds.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm not surprised, have you mentioned where you will be taking it next? That may focus some minds.
They have told me that going to the regulator is an option. I think I'll send the MD and Executive Complaints team a link to this thread to give them one last chance :D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
They have told me that going to the regulator is an option. I think I'll send the MD and Executive Complaints team a link to this thread to give them one last chance :D

True, a bit of 'reality' never hurts!(y)

OP
OP
Daz n Tina
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
hi when I spoke to Halifax the fraud department had no problems informing me where my card was cloned. We went through every transaction I made 2 for fuel and 1 campsite. The camp site and 1 fuel stop was in Germany and 1 fuel stop in luxemberg. The only time I used it in France was at the payage twice. On the same piece of road going back as I had to come off the motorway and go back on it the opposite way. I used it on a Friday night and the card was being used 3 am Sunday morning when I was back in the UK. That's all the info I can give you.

Reactions: GJH

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We're of to France in a couple of weeks and reading this thread is a bit worrying but makes me think using machine in the bank and carrying more cash might be best? What about these pre-loaded cards I am hearing about. Are there any UK pre-loaded that can be used for toll payments, Aires etc?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Can't help with the pre-loaded but I shouldn't worry about using a cc as long as you take precautions. For ATM's physically check that there are no attachments and always cover the hand that is doing the necessary on the key pad. Best of luck and I hope you have a great time..................envious!(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Monster bump as my card was cloned last week..................................I work in the Security Industry and I think I am a clever clogs and do all the right things but no, yesterday afternoon Mrs BB rings to tell me that a new credit card has dropped through the letter box at home. I check on line and where my Nationwide CC bit used to be is................nothing. So I ring and they tell me that 'certain agencies had informed them that my card had been compromised' . My account already shows the correct amount of usage but under a new number...............good on Nationwide but why not alert me a week ago when this is supposed to have happened. They have my up to date contact numbers and email address so it should imo have happened. I suppose they don't know I work away from home (apart from analysing to the nth degree my card usage) but whilst I'm not going to complain I am going to make an observation. In hindsight though at least Nationwide have been proactive, so I shouldn't whinge. I'd give a weeks wages to know where and when and by whom though! Bu##ers!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Some great advice.
May I also add that its most important that you don't lose sight of your card Always refuse to allow the firm/restaurant employee to take your card to their reception counter if it means you lose sight of it. If they insist (as they don't have a hand held reader) go with it. If your in a business premises such as a garage watch the assistant (he/she) may try to distract you and if they bend down behind the counter there's a good chance they're cloning your card using another reader concealed beneath the counter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back