Warning: Amazon Prime & Netflix Downloads (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just found out the hard way if you have downloaded films & programs from Prime or Netflix if your device has an Internet connection it will stream the program rather than play the download.

With both Prime & Netflix they won't play your downloads unless they detect an Internet connection.

In the past I've connected then opened the app then disconnected the data.
Because I have more data available on this trip I didn't bother disconnecting last night when playing a Prime download. This morning I discovered I'd used over 2GB data yesterday.
Tonight I opened Netflix and started playing a downloaded file then checked my data usage and sure enough it was gobbling up data.

So now you know if watching downloaded files make sure you turn off your Internet connection to your device after opening the app.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Funny you should post that as we were watching a downloaded film tonight but I noticed that the thingy at the top was twirling around, as it happens we were connected to the site free WiFi so was not too concerned but occasionally I use the HUAWEI mifi so I will watch out for that.

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
Just found out the hard way if you have downloaded films & programs from Prime or Netflix if your device has an Internet connection it will stream the program rather than play the download.

With both Prime & Netflix they won't play your downloads unless they detect an Internet connection.

Because I have more data available on this trip I didn't bother disconnecting last night when playing a Prime download. This morning I discovered I'd used over 2GB data yesterday.
Tonight I opened Netflix and started playing a downloaded file then checked my data usage and sure enough it was gobbling up data.

So now you know if watching downloaded files make sure you turn off your Internet connection to your device after opening the app.
I wonder if the cost of that 2GB of data will exceed the cost I was quoted for my turning table @LennyHB ?

I wonder if the cost of that 2GB of data will exceed the cost I was quoted for my turning table Lenny HB? ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I now use my old phone to download Netflix and Amazon as my new phone won't play content on my tv via the lead I have, the old Samsung S5 does not have a sim

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Wtf that's very annoying. Why would they do that? Is that just if you have a wifi/mifi connection or on mobile data too?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
if you change your settings so the app only works on WIFi you wont get caught out.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
if you change your settings so the app only works on WIFi you wont get caught out.
wifi from HUAWEI mifi will eat the data.
Maybe setting low data mode will help. Maybe aeroplane mode safest

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
wifi from HUAWEI mifi will eat the data.
Maybe setting low data mode will help. Maybe aeroplane mode safest

We don't have a MIFI only use site or public wifi so won't eat our data

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Wtf that's very annoying. Why would they do that? Is that just if you have a wifi/mifi connection or on mobile data too?
I'm using an Android TV box connected to a mifi at home it's hardwired Ethernet connection to my network don't know what it does in that situation.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Nope, only options are for streaming & download quality.

Maybe need to update app this is mine

7DAA120B-AD73-4CAB-B0D3-FA5F93EA85F0.png

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sussed why the option is not there you only get it on a device that has a SIM for data connection i.e. a phone. But it wouldn't stop the problem as it would still use data from the WiFi connection it would only stop it using data on a direct data connection on the phone.
I'm using an Android TV box.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sussed why the option is not there you only get it on a device that has a SIM for data connection i.e. a phone. But it wouldn't stop the problem as it would still use data from the WiFi connection it would only stop it using data on a direct data connection on the phone.
I'm using an Android TV box.
We use our phone or iPad and can play on tv

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You will still have the same problem if your internet connection was via WiFi from a mifi or router.

I know but we don't have one we only use phone or ipad and have the data turned off for those apps so not a problem for us, we don't see the need for a mifi as we both have loads of phone data that we can use for everything we require.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I know but we don't have one we only use phone or ipad and have the data turned off for those apps so not a problem for us, we don't see the need for a mifi as we both have loads of phone data that we can use for everything we require.
We use a Mifi with a MIMO roof mounted aerial as it allows us to get a data signal in remote area when our phones can't see a signal.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So you can download iplayer stuff and it won't use your data when on mifi?
That has been my experience, it plays the download. But of course if you download the program via the MiFi that uses data. You need to do the download before leaving home. Or use someone else's WiFi. :)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So you can download iplayer stuff and it won't use your data when on mifi?
Once downloaded you can play it back without it using data.
Why Amazon & Netflix do defeats the object of downloading. I'm going to have to see if I can monitor it when on a hardwired connection.
Another annoying thing with Amazon, last night tried to play back a film I downloaded 3 weeks ago and it wouldn't let me play it said it was no longer in the Prime catolog.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Bit out of my depth here but as a thought; a bit of a faff and assumes you will not be watching downloads all the time - switch the source to the tv via your mobile not the mifi when you want to and then put the phone into airplane mode which still allows you to connect to the tv via bluetooth. As it's downloaded already you don't need the roof top connection anyhow. It does mean you need sufficient memory on your phone/ipad though. Apologies if I am totally wrong!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My mifi data contract with 3 includes Netflix & Prime on free data - if I stream from either of those sources it doesn't come out of my data allowance.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
E
My mifi data contract with 3 includes Netflix & Prime on free data - if I stream from either of those sources it doesn't come out of my data allowance.
Even if abroad for long periods?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back