Warning...accidental Brittany Ferry maritime mobile connection!! (1 Viewer)

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
As we sail across the Bay of Biscay this morning on the Baine de Siene, I thought I'd warn ya'll that to avoid eye watering connection charges one must place one's phone in "Flight Mode" and use the free onboard WiFi only (albeit dreadful quality). My wife and I have already racked up £50 odd on data charges on our iPhones that are on the Three Mobile "Feel at Home" deal while using the ship's WiFi. I can only surmise that during WiFi drop outs/re-loggins we've accidentally connected to the ships satellite service (Skybridge)!!! :-(

I'll be having a pleading call to Three this afternoon when we get to Bilbao to reverse the charges to allow us to continue on the "Feel at Home" deal while we tour Spain and Portugal for two months! It's not Three's fault really. I'll lobby Brittany Ferrys, but it will fall on deaf ears....

See BBC

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My guess is your "feel st home" is still OK you just have £50 extra on your bill when you get home,

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think that this is the new "con"

We got caught at Christmas. Now having "Three" Unlimited data and "Feel at home" contracts we didn't bother turning off our phones or tablets when crossing. Both of us and our mates we were traveling with got clobbered

They were with Vodafone who said "On this occasion we will waive the charges"

Three didn't give a toss!

So whilst we "think" that the English channel is either in England or France territorial waters, the phone companies don't and rack up International charges

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Had the same issue earlier this month, for reasons I do not understand we both had our phones set to roaming data, I have unlimited, Sally has 2gb limit. Just as we were arriving she gets text saying you have used £26 of data. Not touched the phone, me nothing. In about 20 trips never had this before. So the question is it BF or 3?

OP
OP
BeeSea

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
The buck stops with BF with this sallylillian. My wife "used" 1.49Mb (£8.98) and I "used" 6.42 Mb (£38.56) reports Three. It could ONLY have been during free ship WiFi dropouts and re-connects. We ALWAYS used the free WiFi only and are (we thought) very seasoned IT travelers...

We're 2 hours out of Bilboa and I have a chat with the onboard manager in half an hour to get some intel...

Posted on the free onboard WiFi...I hope ;-)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I would think so as Eddie said that they had the issue with both Vodafone and Three, so common denominator is BF. Trying to boost their revenue! While you're with the manager can you ask him for my £26?

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Yes it is the answer. Three told me that their dongle just logs on to the signal . But if BF have a premium rate, my argument is that the dongle shouldn't be able to login. Whatever, three split the bill with us. Not satisfactory but better than nothing

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
AFAIK its not the ships wifi its the ships GSM data connection. You cant be charged for wifi unless you log in and set it up.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Even with just a phone if you make a call when crossing the channel it can pick up the 'maritime' channel @£1.50/minute. Nephew warned me about using phone whilst crossing ,years ago.

OP
OP
BeeSea

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
To end the story, the lovely people at Three reversed the charges on both our phones as a one off gesture (bless their cotton socks):)

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Happened to me in March got in touch with 3 and had them cancel the charge. Santander to Plymouth.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the problem is the phone signal you pick up on the ship is recognised by your network provider as something exotic and outside the normal coverage area. Specifically it isn't seen as being in Europe.
As I understand it the ship has a satellite link which it rebroadcasts within the ship.
I've been caught out by it but only momentarily as I got a text warning of out of area charges. That was with O2.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The ships use Inmarsat which used to be horrendously expensive, it's only extraordinarily expensive now. Phone calls were £5/min a few years ago.

pilatesinavan

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

My wife got caught on the Roscoff to Rosslare crossing. Eur14.39/min to call, eur4.80/min to receive and eur3.20 to send a text. She was on just 2mins 6secs and it cost over eur30.
Sick when she found out. Still have the text to remind us.
Thought we were still in Europe but no, maratime price.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I got caught also, knocked up about £32 without knowing. Made a few calls to Vodafone UK...they refunded me the total bill as a gesture of good will, well that's after I told them to cancel my contract.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The ships use Inmarsat which used to be horrendously expensive, it's only extraordinarily expensive now. Phone calls were £5/min a few years ago.

Will seems to be the only one that has explained that at sea, so where one is out of range of 'line-of-sight' terrestial antennae used by the networks, the only available link is via satellites, which are obviously a lot more expensive to put into commission.

I am surprised more people have not realised.

Geoff

Deleted User
There is actually a warning, certainly about data roaming, in the bumf given to you on checking in.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I just checked on the Inmarsat website, data currently costs $5.10/ Mb, yes, per Mb! It's not the ferry company ripping you off, that's what they pay.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Need to look at what your mobile connects to before using it.
When up in the western fells in Cumbria mine constantly locked onto the Isle of Man system and the expense of using it, ok didn't make calls but sometimes received them.
On Rhodes this summer my wife racked up a £15 bill as her mobile picked up signal from Turkey.
Modern mobile systems don't have a great range so once out of range will pick up any signal that's available regardless of cost and suitability.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we were in parts of NI we connected to Eire systems. Obviously that didn't matter cost wise but it was a bit disconcerting the first time it happened.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We always turn the phones to flight mode as soon as the ferry leaves the harbour, we did get caught out a few years ago while visiting Sampfire Ho at Dover a few years ago though the phones connected to French telephone systems so we got billed for texts and calls made while there.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
One of the ways of avoiding unexpected surprises like this (other than switching your phone off or into flight mode) is to set your phone to manual network selection rather than automatic. Once out of range of your current network provider it won't connect again until you manually select another. You should still be able to make an emergency 112 call though. We tend to do this even when in France as some of the networks gives better service than the one that our three phone will automatically connect to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back