Rally Chat Warner's show restrictions (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We promote Warners shows a lot here and around 750 of us pay them £60 a weekend. so I thought we had a pretty good mutual understanding but I got frustrated with Warners last week. I'll set the scene.

Marshal allocation at Warners is a little strange, if you take just 5 ralliers you get a free Marshal slot. Then there is a scale; 20 ralliers you get 2 marshals, 40 ralliers you get 3, 80 ralliers you get 4. etc

I'd allocated three marshals for the almost 70 ralliers attending Shepton, sent Warners the names and they had refunded them their pitch fees.

Then I got an email from Emmit, saying, I'm not on the list, you told me I could marshal Shepton, and he was marshalling a follow on rally. Bugger, Warner bookings were closed so we were stuck.

So I dropped a line to Warners explaining my predicament.

I got this reply the next day

Now I don't know what "problem" that extra marshal causes, but it does apparently. And while I did offer to pay, given our relationship I thought they'd only be too happy to help.

Then a few days later they threatened to pull Emmit's tickets with this email..

What a bloody cheek, like I can't be trusted to owe them £50.
Jim,

Im truly sorry and somewhat embarrassed that you have been given a slap by Warners for what was a simple oversight.
As it is, I can confirm that at least THREE Funsters paid for a pitch and did not attend Shepton so it is not like they are in any way, out of pocket.
Regards
Derek

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
As my post above I’m not sure there problem. When you book they advise if you book a club pitch and go in general you must pay the difference. They charge you less for club pitch so not sure the logic if you bought a general pitch. That is in an additional box you have to agree too.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Stocked up on the things I wanted at Peterborough, no need for an other slightly disappointing imho but would love an other chance to meet even more Funsters.
So if a "rival" do is sorted I'm up for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I say go for it. At least any on site toilets and showers would be only for our use as those here at Shepton are truly disgusting..( the downhill orange block) beyond belief ... and not a cleaner in sight this morning

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I say go for it. At least any on site toilets and showers would be only for our use as those here at Shepton are truly disgusting..( the downhill orange block) beyond belief ... and not a cleaner in sight this morning
To be fair, the cleaners were doing a great job yesterday. They do each block many times a day, and to be honest, how do supposedly intelligent people get them in such a mess? They can't be everywhere all the time.

The Orange block gents were blocked yesterday first thing with water and excrement well up the pans but folks simply crapped on top.

Once I reported it to Warner's, it was sorted in 15 minutes. However, there are two other blocks within 3-4 minutes walk so there was no excuse.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

To be fair, the cleaners were doing a great job yesterday. They do each block many times a day, and to be honest, how do supposedly intelligent people get them in such a mess? They can't be everywhere all the time.

The Orange block gents were blocked yesterday first thing with water and excrement well up the pans but folks simply crapped on top.

Once I reported it to Warner's, it was sorted in 15 minutes. However, there are two other blocks within 3-4 minutes walk so there was no excuse.
I don't see the point of those comments what's wrong with using the bog & shower in your van.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
After the orange toilet block was cleaned, did the cleaners say " it's ok now, you tango back in " ..... :giggle:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Given the choice we would always prefer the van to public toilets! My wife won’t even use a shower block if we are on site, Caravan Club included and those are pretty clean!

Is she related to my wife as she’s the same 😊

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
so it is not like they are in any way, out of pocket.

They are never out of pocket with us as we promote the shows so much here on the forums. And it's not just the direct promotion in Newsletters or the forums.

Let's say someone searches Google for anything motorhome related, say buying a motorhome. Google will return a page full of search results, at the top will always be adverts (we don't advertise anymore) Then below the adverts are the actual search results. In July, 310,000 clicked through their search results to read stuff written here, tons of those are newbies, many will only learn that the shows exist when they read about it here.

We are an asset to them, but sometimes you wonder that they think we're an irritant. Re this opening post.. Any other show organiser, if a Funster turns up with a general ticket asks to park with us, we will be asked over the radio if we have the room, if we have, they will send them over, if we don't have the space, they trust our marshals will say so. Why all the fuss, I don't see a problem.

1631346767674.png

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
After the orange toilet block was cleaned, did the cleaners say " it's ok now, you tango back in " ..... :giggle:
And did you reply, 'I will when you pith off'? ... ;) :LOL: 'And, yes, I do have a lisp ....'

Steve

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
They've been having a good old moan about us lately. Seriously considering giving Warners shows a miss next year and organising something ourselves on their dates.
I think it would be a good idea. Warner’s over the last 5 years have been making the shows less attractive

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We (Van Bitz) haven't attended an open air show since 2016 (I think)

Poor facilities, over charging the public, over charging the trade, draconian rules and they wonder why the numbers are dwindling and the gate receipts are falling

Why the hell should it matter where someone parks up if they have paid to overnight, petty rules with no point

Before big brother (Warner’s) took a Monopoly, Stone Leisure used to run the best shows, Shepton Mallet used to be the season finale and was an excellent show, and Stratford was also an amazing show, both ruined and now a Shadow of their former glory.

Peterborough Warner’s started to be fair, was good, eventually ruined in my opinion by greed trying to open Thursday afternoons. The argument was Peterborough couldn’t be fenced off to keep the public out of the show area, the show area they designed.

Most smaller traders have few staff or are one man bands, shows put enormous pressure on small businesses, adding an extra day away from base is a real challenge. The trade have real life thing to deal with such as children, pets, mums, dads as well as the public.

Warner’s decide to open Thursday, and tell the trade you have to be on your stand by Midday as we can‘t have vehicle movement when the public around, Health & Safety! ‘OK, what happens if we’re not in by midday?’ We and many other traders asked.

You’ll be allowed in after Six, “What about the Public?

”They’ll all be back at their vans getting pissed by then, you know what their like!” Was the answer!

I am happy never to do another show.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think it would be a good idea. Warner’s over the last 5 years have been making the shows less attractive

I haven't got a problem with their shows at all, I think they put on a pretty good motorhome show. Lots of big dealers though have removed outdoor shows from their marketing strategy and all shows are poorer because of it.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I can’t believe they wanted that extra £50 off you Jim . They should have said no problem, we'll add another marshal. They've certainly shot themselves in the foot.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
They've been having a good old moan about us lately. Seriously considering giving Warners shows a miss next year and organising something ourselves on their dates.
I think trying to compete with the big boys, you are unlikely to win.
The traders are one of the big draws, they can only attend one show, they have to attend the biggest one that will earn them the most money.

However to have a Motorhome Fun Rally, the week before one of the big shows, in the same area (roughly the middle of England) and attract as many traders as possible by offering trader pitches at break even rates.

I'd start off small, aim for 100 van's, but ensure it's in a place than can take 1,000, so that it grows year on year.
Show number one will run at a loss, show two might break even, the profit starts at year three or four.

Don't underestimate the size of the job, it's probably a full time job for one person and a part time job for many.
There may be a way of piggybacking onto an existing festival of some type, music, produce, county shows atc.
Which could solve the entertainment issue.

Make it the 'Must attend' event for motorhomers of all types and it could work.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I don't see the point of those comments what's wrong with using the bog & shower in your van.
Whether you see the point is irrelevant. I attempted to use them ...they were unusable due to, as meanders correctly said, supposedly civilised people mistreating them causing an inconvenience for those of us who can use facilities properly. My point was that I sincerely hoped it wasnt fellow Funsters either causing or adding to the problem and that with a MHF organised show this could hopefully be managed better.
There must also be funsters I guess that have PVC's that at best have limited showering capacity that would choose to use on site facilities and/or those who struggle to keep refilling their onboard tanks or can be bothered to keep moving their van each time to do so.
I wasn't just thinking of myself.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think trying to compete with the big boys, you are unlikely to win.
The traders are one of the big draws, they can only attend one show, they have to attend the biggest one that will earn them the most money.

However to have a Motorhome Fun Rally, the week before one of the big shows, in the same area (roughly the middle of England) and attract as many traders as possible by offering trader pitches at break even rates.

I'd start off small, aim for 100 van's, but ensure it's in a place than can take 1,000, so that it grows year on year.
Show number one will run at a loss, show two might break even, the profit starts at year three or four.

Don't underestimate the size of the job, it's probably a full time job for one person and a part job for many.
There may be a way of piggybacking onto an existing festival of some type, music, produce, county shows atc.
Which could solve the entertainment issue.

Make it the 'Must attend' event for motorhomers of all types and it could work.
And I would put money on it that soon as it starts making money the venue puts its price up.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
And I would put money on it that soon as it starts making money the venue puts its price up.
Nothing wrong with that, the cost of the venue is only one of many costs.

The bottom line is:
Is the team running the event trying to make as much money as they possibly can, (like Warners).
or
Is the team trying to run an event that entertains and makes sure there is a bit left over each year (like Glastonbury).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back