Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I was young, the house was always so cold that the sinks froze and the loo, the windows were frozen over we slept in clothing and had a coal fire that did little except burn money. Now it is the same house but with two wood burners a central heating that we hardly use, but double glazing and outside doors that fit the holes not warped four inches at the bottom. Thing is my dad earned £10 a week and we were poor,
I did a lot better and worked on the house, the biggest single thing was to cap the unused chimneys and line the others for the stoves. AND buy a 6 acre woodland area with chainsaw and splitter. Keep warm cutting , keep warm splitting , keep warm burning. The van is insulated well and the heater works so always warm.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
As I said my parents house was cold and damp all year. A coal fired aurger in the kitchen that had a stone floor and a stove in the living room for four floors. And we had a river running down the side of the house that flooded the ground floor at least once a year.
When my dad changed it from a shop to a house he fitted a hot water tank and immersion heater. What had been the shop became the living room and the fire place was unblocked and re used. My room, the bathroom and the attic bedroom still had no heating.
My dad made secondary glazing that was screwed on to the inside of the sash windows. The attic never did get central heating because the gas board system could not feed radiators up four floors. When I joined up my sisters moved into my room during the winter. They said it was cramped but warmer than the attic.
The one good point about our house was the inside toilet. More than my grandmas house in Oldham.
Yes the motorhome is warm but anything was better than my parents house.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back