Wardrobe floor access hole (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
The floor in my wardrobe is a bit of a pain to get out for doing jobs, granted that it is something very infrequently used.

Now I'd like to cut out a large access hole leaving just a couple of inches around the edges, could someone with such an arrangement as standard give a brief description of how the removeable bit is stopped from falling through the hole. I'm just thinking of using strips of wood around the four edges.

thanks

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Not knowing your layout, but it sounds easier to cut a hole leaving an inch or two all the way around then just bin the bit in the middle, then just make a new bottom to cover the entire floor and hole...?
Making the original fit is a lot more complex, means the "cut" has to be perfect, and you have to work out a mechansim for it to stay in place.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Not knowing your layout, but it sounds easier to cut a hole leaving an inch or two all the way around then just bin the bit in the middle, then just make a new bottom to cover the entire floor and hole...?
Making the original fit is a lot more complex, means the "cut" has to be perfect, and you have to work out a mechansim for it to stay in place.

I would go with this recommendation simple and effective, don`t forget to cut a small hole in the middle, large enough to get a finger inside so you can lift the false bottom out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
false bottoms

Now everyone knows where your safe is:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have just re-read our post and the imagination was working away very hard :whistle:

decided there are just too many connotations that could be used with "small holes, false bottoms and fingers" so I`m throwing this shovel away and sitting on my hands.:Doh:
Opps there we go again..:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Pugboxter
Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
You'd have easily got away with that one............ but now you mention it........hmmm don't think I'd have ever spotted that one.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You will have to remove the pain in the a**e floor once more to use my method
with floor on a bench on the reverse side mark out the desired hatch you require
on one of the lines drill a hole to allow your jigsaw blade to slip in, cut halfway round, then fit two hinges,over the cut section on the finished side (making sure the hinge covers your drill hole) finish off the cut and hey presto a perfect fit trap door
glue a piece of ply to the opposite side of the hinges to carry the trap door when shut.
The first drill hole should of course be on the line you want the hinges to be
using this method doors can be any shape you like even with nice rounded corners and they fit every time:thumb:
Oh and dont forget the finger hole to open it:Doh:
Geo

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
All I did on our motorhome wardrobe was to simply remove the screws that were holding the wardrobe floor down. It can now be easily lifted in order to stow things inside.
This is an easy mod, depending on individual wardrobe designs, of course.

OP
OP
Pugboxter
Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
Thanks Mick, that's exactly the same conclusion I came too earlier this afternoon, after all it isn't an area you need access to very much.

Thanks for the replies eveyone :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back