Wanted. Streaming advice for numpties (1 Viewer)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
So I have uprated my Vodafone sim to unlimited. Last few trips have used lots of data uploading photos/videos in attempts to make everyone jealous :rofl:
As we don’t have to worry about data we thought we could use it for TV whilst down in Spain.
Tried reading up and understanding it all but get a bit lost about what apps to use and do we need a VPN.
It would help to understand costs etc.
We don’t have any accounts like Prime or Netflix or Amazon fire stick so need to know where to start.
Any help in layman’s terms would be appreciated. Please be gentle (y)
Thanks. Graham

Deleted User
Agree that you won't need a VPN, I stream TV in France, Spain and Portugal with a Vodafone sim but be aware that officially roaming is only allowed for 3 months, when I took my contract out I made sure that I had it in writing that roaming would not be disabled.

I watch on the laptop tethered to my phone which acts as a wifi hub when that function is switched on.

A tip if you are ever in a low signal area is to switch networks and if still not good it is possible to download BBC programs to iplayer(slowly) in low definition,which is perfectly adequate, and watch later.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
What devices are you using? I get good results using 'chrome' browser on my lap top and 'casting' that to the tv. You need to buy a chromecast device (think it's about 30 quid) and plug it in to one of your HDMI slots on the telly.

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
What devices are you using? I get good results using 'chrome' browser on my lap top and 'casting' that to the tv. You need to buy a chromecast device (think it's about 30 quid) and plug it in to one of your HDMI slots on the telly.
Apple iPhone 6s along with iPad and MacBook.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
A tip if you are ever in a low signal area is to switch networks and if still not good it is possible to download BBC programs to iplayer(slowly) in low definition,which is perfectly adequate, and watch later.
We tried once before to get iPlayer when in Spain and a message came up saying the service was not available outside the UK.

Deleted User
We tried once before to get iPlayer when in Spain and a message came up saying the service was not available outside the UK.

I presume that you were not using a UK based sim provider, I have used both 3 and Vodafone to stream without a VPN.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably before free roaming came in since then it works with a UK SIM.

I use an Android TV box which I can connect the WiFi from my phone or mifi

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
January this year. The sim was one of the 2 year 24 gb ones ordered off of eBay. Although it was Three I’m sure it came from a supplier outside the UK.
I've got an idea when we've ordered the '3' prepaid 12 & 24 month data sims from mymemory.com, they've been delivered from the Netherlands, so perhaps that's got something to do with it?

We haven't tried streaming TV on them whilst abroad (or in the UK!). ;) (y)

Deleted User
January this year. The sim was one of the 2 year 24 gb ones ordered off of eBay. Although it was Three I’m sure it came from a supplier outside the UK.
I've got an idea when we've ordered the '3' prepaid 12 & 24 month data sims from mymemory.com, they've been delivered from the Netherlands, so perhaps that's got something to do with it?

We haven't tried streaming TV on them whilst abroad (or in the UK!). ;) (y)

The 3 Sims that I have used have also been sourced from abroad, can't remember exactly where, via my memory. I have used several over the last couple of years without problem, not so much for the last 12 months since I took out the Vodafone contract.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back