Wanted Motorhome Advice (1 Viewer)

B

bloddy

Deleted User
Please can anyone advise us? We want to buy a small high top van - no longer than 5.8 metres. Any recommendaions please?

:Cool:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
hi and welcome.
might be usefull to give a little more info for some good answers. Ie how much do you want to spend? what usage do you intend? etc etc

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Please can anyone advise us? We want to buy a small high top van - no longer than 5.8 metres. Any recommendaions please?
Lots out there under this length.

My campervan is a Ford Transit swb and comes in at just 4.6 metres. Even the long wheel base Transits are only 5.3 metres so well within your 'spec'.

Both versions run with the 2.5 diesel engine (very few with petrol but i personally wouldnt bother with a petrol). Main difference is early 90's Transits, the engine is direct injection (non-turbo), where the later ones are fitted with turbo. The turbo 2.5 returns around 30 - 33mpg on a trip where non-turbo will acheive as much as 40mpg (got just over 41mpg from mine on a tour around Scotland). With the direct injection diesel you simply need to change down a gear when climbing a hill and be prepared to 'potter'......but then no camper/mh's are designed to race up hills anyway!

I wasn't particularly keen on Fords and had never owned any type of Ford vehicle.....but buying this Transit changed all that!

Whatever you eventually go for i'd bear this in mind. The more common the vehicle, the easier it will be to source spares, and often cheaper too.

Ford Transits are 'common as muck'.....millions of the damn things all over the place, not only in the uk, but in many other european countries as well.

Buy some obscure make, and you could find yourself stuck waiting for that vital spare part to arrive at great cost, possibly from the other side of the globe, and a mechanic who doesn't have a clue how to tackle the job because he's never worked on such a vehicle before. Not very funny when you are on holiday!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:Cool:

If you ring our Andy, he has been motorhoming for years and can give you some unbiased advice. Mind you he might try and sell you one!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

OP
OP
B

bloddy

Deleted User
Motorhome advise!

Thanks for the advise so far - we want to spend under £25,000 (if possible), a new, two berth van.:roflmto::Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bloddy,You may have to up your budget a little bit (about 3k) for a tranny but I would be more concerned on comfort/layout.Go to a big dealers or a show and have a good look around (take a camera for reference) making up beds and anything else you can think of :thumb: These things soon blight your new purchase unless you have tried them you will only find it after use.good luck :thumb:
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Bloddy,

You will not find a new Panel Van Comversion at under £32K, you would be better off to buy a low mileage pre-owned and let someone else take the big hit on depreciation.

Peter

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
At the Manchester Central show a few weeks ago they were practically giving them away - well under £32K, and the salesman was offering a further £3K off for a deal done on the day.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Panel Van

curently sitting in my Timberland van in sunny Spain. Ours has a bench seat that folds down for the bed and we have to make/unmake the bed daily> a bit of a grind. We have looked at exchanging it for a fixed bed but in a 6m long van it takes away so much space. It depends what you intend using it for. We do a lot of Continental touring and probably use it 6 months per year overall. If you only want to weekend then there are loads of van out there Try Devon, Murvi, IH etc go on line and look in MMM for sales. good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back