Want to use my 1965 Morris Minor as a towed car. Advice please... (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Boys n Girls,

I dragged Boris the Morris out of the lockup two weeks ago and, having re-furbed the brakes, (hydraulic but only single circuit although modified to a disc front drum rear set up) and the fuel pump, and listened to my new SWMBO who insisted on a sex and name change, (can't think why....?) (Maisie now I think??) I am planning to tow her behind our Autotrail Apache 632. I've seen plenty of owners towing with an A-frame set up, can you learned Yoda types out there advise on a particular kit to buy please? I need advice regarding tow bar, advice regarding MoHo electrics, advice regarding the A-frame, advice regarding the braking system to activate the Morris brakes and finally advice on the lighting for the Morris, brake lights, indicators, side lights etc. The Morris doesn't have the benefit of a steering locked steering wheel, the brakes don't need/have a servo and the lighting system is 1960's rudimentary.

Constructive comments please! Over to you oh learned Jedi Yoda types!!

Cheers!

Russ

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
A frame towing does nothing to the mileage Guys on cars. The gear box has to be driven for it to record mileage on Moggy's of which it wont be. Most newer cars have electronic mile counters working in line with the Alternator and the gearbox. Towed for some time now with Smart cars and Fiats none of which turn the miles over.

Kev

Towing a Moggy Minor will add mileage to the odometer as the speedo takeoff is on the gearbox output shaft which is connected to the propshaft, so if the rear wheels turn, then the gearbox output shaft turns.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Google, or ebay, Brake Buddy for details of the electronic brake actuator that sits on the floor and works the brake pedal. I mounted mine on a board the right size to always locate it in the right place. Then, as said a 7 pin socket on the front and a double ended 7 pin lead for the lights.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would get a trailer. Sorry of that isn't what you wanted to hear but safer and easier and cheaper I think.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Minor will be more likely to reach good brake efficiency in this scenario than more modern vehicles as it is not servo assisted braking system . More suited to brake buddy than bowden cable set up due to previously mentioned pedal operation configuration . Structurally easier than modern cars to design suitable hitch points .

Upvote 0

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
I'd love to take my 1967 TR4A with us but have concluded that the only safe way to do it is on a trailer.

Attachments

• TR4A.JPG
    TR4A.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
An interesting engineering project - I wish you well

but .......

will you not have problems leaning back to 'thump' the trafficators in the B pillars when they don't extend ?? :giggle::giggle::giggle: - those were the days (y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If it were mine it would be done by now (there should be a smiley here but 25 seconds to load is boring)

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There are a good few on here suffering from the Classic CarOwner Virus :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I dragged Boris the Morris out of the lockup two weeks ago ........and listened to my new SWMBO who insisted on a sex and name change, (can't think why....?) (Maisie now I think??)
I know that secret of a long and fulfilling relationship is compromise.....(never, EVER compromise), but in this case you could meet her halfway and rename it Doris.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't do it ... really, if you value the car then don't ... we've had classic Bond Minicars in the past and used to tow one on a bar (it attached to the centre wheel mount as no chassis members strong enough to attach it to), it damaged the steering etc and we got stone chips, eventually I designed a trailer for it which we had adapted from an caravan chassis and it was much better and easier to transport it that way and didn't take long to load/unload.

You need to think about how 'happy' your Moggie will be ... all the running gear will be getting a bit of a hammering no matter how carefully you drive your MH as your Moggie will get dragged over bump/ruts etc that if you were driving it on its own you would brake/steer to avoid. Also, as others have said you WILL get damaged paintwork from stone etc being thrown up as it will be 'riding' much closer than you would normally drive to the rear end of your motorhome.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Are Moggies not prone to the sudden failure of the kingpins? I seem to recollect back in the 60's and 70's loads of front wheel drive BLMC vehicles with collapsed front ends due to some suspension failure, Moggies and 1100's seemed the most prone, if that the case what would happen if towing via an A frame could be catastrophic, I would go down the trailer route and Le Gendarmes and Garda Civil would not be stopping you if you go abroad for one of the Moggie /Mini rallies

Upvote 0
May 10, 2019
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E-Line
I seem to remember that the mileage on older vehicles, such as the dear old Moggie, is recorded even when you coast out of gear. We tow a 2019 VW Polo with a kit fitted by Towbars 2 Towcars. I believe they are the only company who will convert the Polo, but I am prepared to be corrected. The system uses the 13 pin tow socket system and braking is triggered by inertia. The brake pedal is linked to a cable which applies the brakes so duplicates the foot on the pedal. I would ask to speak with Terry Richardson at the company, as he gave us advice when we went looking to purchase our Toad.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Towing a Moggy Minor will add mileage to the odometer as the speedo takeoff is on the gearbox output shaft which is connected to the propshaft, so if the rear wheels turn, then the gearbox output shaft turns.

You are quite correct guys...I am wrong! I had not thought it was on the out put side of the gear box? Learning all the while !! Lol

Upvote 0

John Liput

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
Since 2019
Boys n Girls,

I dragged Boris the Morris out of the lockup two weeks ago and, having re-furbed the brakes, (hydraulic but only single circuit although modified to a disc front drum rear set up) and the fuel pump, and listened to my new SWMBO who insisted on a sex and name change, (can't think why....?) (Maisie now I think??) I am planning to tow her behind our Autotrail Apache 632. I've seen plenty of owners towing with an A-frame set up, can you learned Yoda types out there advise on a particular kit to buy please? I need advice regarding tow bar, advice regarding MoHo electrics, advice regarding the A-frame, advice regarding the braking system to activate the Morris brakes and finally advice on the lighting for the Morris, brake lights, indicators, side lights etc. The Morris doesn't have the benefit of a steering locked steering wheel, the brakes don't need/have a servo and the lighting system is 1960's rudimentary.

Constructive comments please! Over to you oh learned Jedi Yoda types!!

Cheers!

Russ
Hi you need to check out towing a vehicle with an A frame its illegal in some countries they say A frames are for recovering vehicles not as permanant towing.
UK has a lesser view on it but i would check out the legals and insurance you might be opening a bag of worms, i use a scooter and scooter rack as need transport when in the motor home.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
I thought A Frames were illegal?
According to DVLA the "A" frame set up in this country is treating the towed vehicle as a "TRAILER".All lighting & braking is conected etc .NOT SO in Europe .You can be stopped & asked to leave the towed vehicle ,or somebody else drives it .Spain are hot on that toppic.Not sure if things change after 'Brexit'.My "A" frame & Smart set-up when i had the 'Autocruise was done by a firm in Poole Dorset ( car a tow) Despite all the words to the contrary about not able to reverse,YES you can,,just fix the steering in straight mode ,by means of a pair of expanders ( bungee's) ,you CAN then go straight back OR left & right just as a caravan or trailer.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Despite all the words to the contrary about not able to reverse,YES you can,,just fix the steering in straight mode ,by means of a pair of expanders ( bungee's) ,you CAN then go straight back OR left & right just as a caravan or trailer.
Anything but a pretty much straight line backwards could potentially cause serious scrubbing to the front tyres and put sideways strain on the wheels/joints etc which are not meant to take it ... much better to unhitch and move it manually.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Blimey that reversing with the Smart Car looks a bit brutal.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Blimey that reversing with the Smart Car looks a bit brutal.
Yup, in the video of the other car it doesn't seem 'too' bad until you see it stop dead when the wheel jerks sideways ... that's the sort of thing that can seriously damage a car's steering etc.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
According to DVLA the "A" frame set up in this country is treating the towed vehicle as a "TRAILER".All lighting & braking is conected etc .NOT SO in Europe .You can be stopped & asked to leave the towed vehicle ,or somebody else drives it .Spain are hot on that toppic.Not sure if things change after 'Brexit'.My "A" frame & Smart set-up when i had the 'Autocruise was done by a firm in Poole Dorset ( car a tow) Despite all the words to the contrary about not able to reverse,YES you can,,just fix the steering in straight mode ,by means of a pair of expanders ( bungee's) ,you CAN then go straight back OR left & right just as a caravan or trailer.
So does the car that the DVLA think is a trailer have to have an MOT or Vehicle Duty do you know?

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Brutal indeed about 10 miles per tyre looking at the smart cart and 20 miles per set of suspension and associated components, Why do it gently when you can force it.! A frames are designed for emergency towing, apologies to all who tow and think they are the bogs D**cks you would do after forking out a fortune on the system. It would be cheaper and safer to use a trailer but then you have the problem of storage, so buy an A frame and get the car kitted out to be dragged behind with the wear on the tyres, suspension, stone chips, chassis twisting the mileage mounting up etc. If someone wants a good business start up then why not start a trailer pool? You pay say £500 into a communal pot that gets you 3 or 4 months trailer use per year with no storage problem and every 5 year you pay an extra £100 to cover service and new tyres. No charge you entrepreneurs as I am retired The car or toad still needs mot, tax and separate insurance as it remains a mechanically propelled vehicle. when being dragged along its fine to use the towing vehicle reg but I would love to read an insurance report if it was hit by another vehicle and the words *No driver in or in charge of the vehicle at time of accident* appear in the report form .....

Upvote 0

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Know nothing about a frames, but I presume the mileometer is still working while towed so adding to the milage of both vehicles, small point but it's there.
Disconnected in a few seconds on a classic, but I don’t think mileage on classics matters for much as most have been rebuilt, the value is in it’s desirability and condition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back