Want to buy Hymer B series 2000 - 2008 ~ advice please (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I am looking to buy a LHD Hymer between 2000 and 2008 year range, the ideal length is between 6.5 and 7.0m long, not a TAG axle.
There are many models within this criteria so looking for opinions or experiences with any Hymer motorhome that comes within those specs.

Other criteria are fixed rear bed of any type, 140 bhp or more powerful engine, either FIAT or Mercedes, above 3.5 tonnes, rear under bed locker but does not have to be a large enough to put a scooter in type, dinette or L shape seating with table.

My experience is only with older motorhomes (up to 1992) and I know that Hymer changed layouts and construction methods seriously after the early 1990's.

Many thanks

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We have a 2004 B614 and love it. It has a large garage large back bed and L shape dinette. It's plated at 3900. It's solidly built large enough bathroom for me and I am chunky . The pull down bed is enormous. More storage than I can fill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you're specifically looking for 140bhp or more, you will be limited to Mercedes Starline models (2.7cdi 157bhp) or very recent Fiat models with the 3.0 160bhp engines.
The majority of 2000 - 2008 Hymers have the Fiat 2.8jtd, 127bhp. Ours is plated at 3500kg, the engine seems well matched to the vehicle.

By the sounds of it, a 680 Starline on the Mercedes 416 Chassis would be ideal for you, reasonably rare but they are out there..

Something like this ?
Broken Link Removed

Good luck with it !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our B644 , 4,000kg MAM, under 7mt , fixed transverse bed, L lounge and garage.. the 2.8 jtd is more than adequate ..

see pics and layout Broken Link Removed

they are hard to find .. took us months to find the 'right one' ..we bought from Becks in Gr Yarmouth.. Hymer agents , they are well regarded dealers.. and give a proper warranty, not an insurance, have their own mechanical workshops for servicing and MOT

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Star-Line 630 or 680 on either a 316 or 416 chassis. They were also available on 313 and 413 chassis, the difference being in engine size. 313/413 have a four cylinder 130 bhp engine, 316/416 have a 5 cylinder 160 bhp engine (actually it's 156 bhp rounded up - loads of pull! ).
The B630 was made on both 316 and 416 chassis, the B680 on 416 only. The GVW is 3,800 kg for the 313/316 and 4,600 kg for the 413/416.
We have a B630 on a 316 chassis with five-speed auto box - it is just under 6.5 metres long. We love it. The 680 is like a stretched version of the same basic layout at a bit over 7 metres. Both have garages with transverse rear beds above.
2003 Classic & Star-Line.jpg
As SJ says, the Fiat based ones with the 2.8jtd engine also seem to pull well - I've never heard anyone complain.
2003 B-Klasse.jpg

Once you go past the 2005/6 model year, you are into the range with the tear-shaped headlights (£1,500 a time to replace a broken one). Also, around 2007-9 there are reports of poorer build quality, which I believe has since been resolved.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks very much.

Just taken a break and looked at the B614 and B644 in the 2005 catalogue, they are both listed as 6.99m long. As you Red Sonja and you Jim have these models, what in real life is their length without any bike rack or additional carry device fitted please.

Have already looked at the B680 which Hymer list as 7.40m but was given 7.03m as the actual length by someone who actually measured their van, what goes on with Hymer's catalogue and the actual dimensions?

Also seen there is a FIAT 2.8 JTD with 145 bhp, but only seen that on Continental sale sites but think in the back of my mind there was such an uprated (from FIAT) engine.

Thanks again, will look at the other suggestions later, back to work.

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
something like mine-here is the original add from southdowns
Broken Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the 680 must be nearer to 7.4 than 7 metres - it's quite a big beast! It is certainly longer than a 644/614 and having parked next to one, it looked a lot longer than mine whereas I have parked next to a 644 and that seemed only a bit longer.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We have a 2004 680 Starline and it is definitely 7.4 mtrs long! Not seen anything that we would change it for - we love it.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks very much.

Just taken a break and looked at the B614 and B644 in the 2005 catalogue, they are both listed as 6.99m long. As you Red Sonja and you Jim have these models, what in real life is their length without any bike rack or additional carry device fitted please.

Have already looked at the B680 which Hymer list as 7.40m but was given 7.03m as the actual length by someone who actually measured their van, what goes on with Hymer's catalogue and the actual dimensions?

Also seen there is a FIAT 2.8 JTD with 145 bhp, but only seen that on Continental sale sites but think in the back of my mind there was such an uprated (from FIAT) engine.

Thanks again, will look at the other suggestions later, back to work.

Hi

Ours is 6.95 without anything added.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
2007 & 2008 you can get the Fiat X250, well worth going for, engines were either the 2.3, 130 bhp, or the 3Lt 160 bhp, don't dismiss the 2.3 without trying it, its a very good engine far better than the older 2.8 jtd.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I read somewhere that the S models up to about 1994 were the last of the 'real' Hymers and from that point on they changed construction methods inside and out. Would that be a fair comment or are Hymer A class motorhomes from 2000 onwards about as robust with similar quality as the earlier ones?

Does anybody know the dimensions of the traverse beds in the 614, 630 and 644? I guess from the body dimensions that they are about 2.1m long, but how wide are they. Also see that most have a window at each end of the bed although again the 2005 catalogue shows a window at one end only on some models.
Our S670 has a window behind the top of the bed so it's difficult to sit up in bed to read as the blind is easily damaged, but if there were no window at one end it gives the chance to sit in bed and read.

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I read somewhere that the S models up to about 1994 were the last of the 'real' Hymers and from that point on they changed construction methods inside and out. Would that be a fair comment or are Hymer A class motorhomes from 2000 onwards about as robust with similar quality as the earlier ones?
I think that was about the time they changed over to the PUAL construction which they gained when they took over N&B. IMO much better, no timber in framework, closed cell foam insulation & different joint technologically, much reduced chance of water ingress and if it does happen it won't do much harm.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
Have a search on the German site mobile.de, much cheaper (exchange rate very good now) and usually a better selection. We found what we wanted and the process is not daunting.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
lennyhb, I appreciate that new technology is often an improvement, but would these more modern motorhomes stand up to a lot of use on say tracks on the south side of the Moroccan Atlas mountains in the same way that a separate chassis motorhome would, or are they better but only used on smooth surfaces?

Thanks paintman, I know of the site and am a German speaker so not too much of a trauma for me. The problem to start is to choose between at least 4 Hymer models so far and haven't finished studying layouts and base vehicle specs yet.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Does anybody know the dimensions of the traverse beds in the 614, 630 and 644? I guess from the body dimensions that they are about 2.1m long, but how wide are they. Also see that most have a window at each end of the bed although again the 2005 catalogue shows a window at one end only on some models.
Our S670 has a window behind the top of the bed so it's difficult to sit up in bed to read as the blind is easily damaged, but if there were no window at one end it gives the chance to sit in bed and read.

Thanks

The double rear bed in a B630 measures 198 cm long (transverse) by 135 cm wide (front to back). Although this is smaller than our double bed in the house (6ft 6in x 5ft) in practice, the Hymer bed does not seem small. The beds in the 614/644 are wider but will be the same length. That in the 680 may be wider still.
Regarding the windows, ours has them at top and bottom. Later ones (2005) had a single window at the foot and a solid wall at the head-end. Ours has two boards that slot in between the window surround and the bed to form a headrest and toe-board. These are stowed against the back wall whilst travelling.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just measured the traverse bed in the B644, it is 6'6" x 4'6" which is the standard UK double bed size.. also windows at both ends with the removable headboards that Phillip mentioned.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks

On our 2004 Hymer there is one window at the foot of the bed. Can't measure it at the moment as its in storage.but I would say it's as big as our one at home which is 5ft wide. I use king size sheets and king size duvet.

Sonja

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the 630 must be the same as the 644 then. I was measuring the mattresses rather than the total aperture, which is a little bigger. Allowing for rounding on conversion from cm to ft and ins, there is virtually no difference.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks chaps and chappess, that's really good information and quite impressive too.

Are you all happy with the quality of your motorhome compared to the older Hymers?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks chaps and chappess, that's really good information and quite impressive too.

Are you all happy with the quality of your motorhome compared to the older Hymers?
Ours is a 99 build model, and although the last of the single floor models, we are extremely happy with ours.

It was purchased (second hand) with a 10 year plan.......................and we are entering year 11 now. ;)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :)

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Ours is a 2004 680 Starline on a Mercedes base, therefore doesn't have a double floor. We bought it 5 years ago and it's the first motorhome we've owned. We chose it after much research and deliberation on what was essential, desirable and nice to have. We bought once, bought smart and are very pleased with our purchase.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

yes.. very much so, at 14 years old it is as good as new.. granted only one very careful UK owner who imported in 2012 and obviously looked after it properly.

I have been all over it , top to bottom with a damp meter and it's bone dry. The furniture and upholstery is as good as new and shows little sign of use. The doors, locks etc are all of good quality.. as are the worktops and table.. The beds feel and look as good as the day it left the factory. It is very well put together.. the only fault that has come to light is the dodgy door step switch and a small crack in the shower tray around the plug hole.. one to watch for when buying. Becks will repair when every I want to take it in..

I wouldn't swap it for any other make or model.... even a new model .. I much prefer old technology, less to go wrong , the base vehicle and can be repaired anywhere without a laptop and a boffin.. important if you want to travel outside the EU comfort zone.. I wouldn't hesitate in taking it to the south of the High Atlas in Morocco..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As ours is a Star-Line (2003) it does not have a double floor. However, don't let that put you off as a Hymer single floor is not like a British one. The Hymer single floor is, in fact, a sandwich of PU foam between two layers of marine-grade ply. The van is very well winterised as the fresh tank is inside and the external waste tank is insulated and heated by the Truma. The air inlet goes into the tank jacket via the drain valve housing so that remains frost-free too. All pipe runs are internal.
Regarding build quality, I am very happy with it. The cabinets are well made as are the other fittings. I was speaking to a highly respected Hymer repair expert (whom I shall not name but he is very well known to Hymer owners) and his view is that build quality of the range was very good until 2006 when the body style changed to the tear-drop headlights. I have heard from owners that more recent build quality is once again good.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I
As ours is a Star-Line (2003) it does not have a double floor. However, don't let that put you off as a Hymer single floor is not like a British one. The Hymer single floor is, in fact, a sandwich of PU foam between two layers of marine-grade ply. The van is very well winterised as the fresh tank is inside and the external waste tank is insulated and heated by the Truma. The air inlet goes into the tank jacket via the drain valve housing so that remains frost-free too. All pipe runs are internal.
Regarding build quality, I am very happy with it. The cabinets are well made as are the other fittings. I was speaking to a highly respected Hymer repair expert (whom I shall not name but he is very well known to Hymer owners) and his view is that build quality of the range was very good until 2006 when the body style changed to the tear-drop headlights. I have heard from owners that more recent build quality is once again good.

That's an interesting comment Philip, think Mercedes had a wobble too at about the same time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back