Maplejack

Free Member
Jun 9, 2012
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hoping to own soon
Exp
We don't own a motorhome as yet but plan to be 'on the road' within the next 6-9 months.
To be honest I didn't appreciate the massive choice of types and layouts and I think I've got myself a little confused :Eeek:
We are leaning towards an A Class as we have 2 large dogs and it would seem there might be a little more floor space for them if we utilise the drop down bed. I'm not keen on climbing too high up a ladder to go to bed.
Hubby is 6ft 3inches tall and this seems it might be a problem in the A Class vans we have looked at, not quite long enough for him.
Being our first purchase we are looking at MH's from around 2001 to 2007. If we like it that much then who knows the house could be downsized and the MH upgraded. :winky:
I look forward to benefiting from your knowledge and experience, please

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun, good luck with your search, I always think it is a good idea to spend at least half a hour in the van with out sales people getting the feel of it, and seeing if you could comfortably spend time in there, if it does not feel comfortable move on to another. With motorhomes age is not really a big issue as in general they do not do large mileage, more condition and build quality. Good luck :welcomefunster:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome from North Devon so not too far away, we have two med dogs and find the "A" class the best option for us. There are big differences in overcab beds from our which is huge to others that you couldn't get a couple of kids in.
Climbing in and out via a ladder is not really a problem, its only a couple of steps after all (and I'm 65). Low line vans are a real no no for overcab beds unless you are of reduced stature. You certainly get more space per foot with an "A" class. Take your time looking and draw up a list of must haves, wants and hates. Very few people get the right van first time. Jim sells the motorhome buyers guide that will guide you through the process of selecting trying and buying (including getting the price down) you will save the purchase price if you read it thoroughly. You will soon run out of free posts so get your hand in your pocket and pay the man a tenner when you by the book for full membership. Any questions ask away or drop into chat for an instant fix of fun and frivolity, see you there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Welcome from us also

Welcome to MHF.... Have you considered an RV? .. A yank .. We own one and have had them for over 25 years now. They tend to cater for the larger person... I know.... I am 6'2" and all our beds have plenty of room....not all RV's are 40' long... Our one is 23'9". .. If you hit the link below in red you will get an idea of what smaller yanks can look like.

But whatever motor home you go for do research it.. Takes a fair time to find the right item.

This SA good place to ask question.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi and welcome. You have a mammoth task deciding which van to choose. When you are close to a decision I would suggest hiring to try before buying. This is the cheaper route in case your choice was a mistake.
Good luck with whatever you buy.

OP
OP
M

Maplejack

Free Member
Jun 9, 2012
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hoping to own soon
Exp
Thank you for your replies, our minds are open to advise and want to get the purchase right.!
Does anyone know of an pull down bed that's HUGE? Approx 5ft x 6ft 6inches? This payload business seems complicated too, been researching that this evening online. :Eeek:
Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
look up 'Safari Trek' -----see if one would suit you---they are American----but usually have smaller Euro/Jap diesel engines, they have a drop-down bed, being Yank, you can be quite sure they will be big::bigsmile:------The M/homes are not massive
Nigel & Pamala

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Re the payload

Thank you for your replies, our minds are open to advise and want to get the purchase right.!
Does anyone know of an pull down bed that's HUGE? Approx 5ft x 6ft 6inches? This payload business seems complicated too, been researching that this evening online. :Eeek:
Thanks again

Payload will normally be around 1 ton or less. It can be more in the bigger Americans but most motor homes it is one ton or less.

As mentioned by Sundowner.. the Safari Trek is a good bet for a decent bed.

It is very squarish in design.. the earlier ones pre about 203 looked like converted library vans.. but they are very well built.. all solid wood cabinets.. come with three power jacks as standard and have a fantastic bathroom and kitchen.. the bed comes down from the ceiling on runners and looks about 3' up of the ground. Mostly powered by a chevy 6.5 diesel automatic. some Izuzu were made with a 3 ltr engine.. but I feel they are under powered.

Later models took on more of a rounded front and were eventually taken over by Menaco before they went bust themselves... the late versions had a few up rated items on the RV.. the bed had chains rather than belts and the motors were easier to fix if they went wrong. Cult vehicle in the USA.. but you get one very very big bed ... more than 6' long and a decent size wide wise.

Normally those vehicles fetch between £20 and £30k in the UK second hand... most have a graphic on the back of a cheater Panther or lion etc., came in various body colours... Red or maroon ish .. a green, gold and also a blue, silver looks the best. THey have al the usual american refinements. Worth a look.

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back