Wanna bit of free dosh to buy more MH toys? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The link is a bit tenuous but it's the only way I could think of making this a legitimate MH related post! :giggle:

Note that I am in no way a financial adviser so if you choose to do any of the below I bear no responsibility for you cocking-up, however if you are successful I won't object if you want to give me a "finder's donation"! 😁

The below are just some 'perks' that we've found, there may be others so if you are wanting to make more dosh in this way have a mooch round the internet to see what else may be available.

Nationwide Building Society

They have been doing a switching reward for a while which has 2 reward payments which you could qualify for making £125 in total:
  • £100 for those who don't have an account with them already
  • an extra £25 for 'members' who already have an account with them (either current or saver)
As a non-member (ie no account of any sort with NW) in order to qualify for the extra £25 the easiest way is as follows:
  1. First open a basic saver and put a small amount of money in it
  2. Wait a day before doing anything else as this gives time for you to be fully registered in their system and thus you will be recognised as a genuine member
  3. Decide which existing bank account you want to switch to NW making sure that it has 2 active direct debits on it (or will have by the time it switches) and that you are happy for this account to be closed when the switch happens.
  4. Apply for a current account (FlexAccount, FlexPlus or FlexDirect) and request a switch as part of the opening procedure (some of these have monthly fees so check which is most suitable for you first).
  5. You will be asked to select a date for the switch which will happen no later than 30 days after you request it (you'll be offered dates to choose from) - if you have newly set up direct debits on your existing account make sure it is after their first collection date so you meet the criteria of their being 'active'.
  6. Once the switch has happened you will receive the reward(s) within 10 calendar days of the switch completing.
As a member (ie you already have an account with NW):
  • If you don't have a current account follow steps 4. to 6. above to open one.
  • If you do have a current account you can simply apply to switch a non-NW current account into it along with 2 active direct debits following steps 5. to 6. above
Make sure you read & can meet the terms: https://www.nationwide.co.uk/curren...unt-online-switch-offer-terms-and-conditions/

Santander

They have brought out a new switch 'cashback' reward of £130 for new and existing customers:
  1. Decide which existing bank account you want to switch to Santander making sure that it has 2 active direct debits on it (or will have by the time it switches) and that you are happy for this account to be closed when the switch happens.
  2. If you have a Santander current account already simply request to switch your existing account elsewhere into it; if you don't already have an account with them apply for a current account (check which ones qualify as not all do) and request a switch as part of the opening procedure (some of these have monthly fees so check which is most suitable for you first). [Note that, probably due to high demand, it appears that their system is having a hissy fit so you may not be able to do the switch request when opening the account in which case you'll have to just open the account on-line then visit a branch to get them to set-up the switch for you - this is what I'm having to do].
  3. If you are able to request the switch you will be asked to select a date for it which will happen no later than 60 days after you request it (you'll be offered dates to choose from) - if you have active direct debits on your existing account they will transfer over, if not you can set them up afterwards on your new Santander account so long as you do so within 60 days of it's opening (make sure their first collection date is before the 60 days is up though so you meet the criteria of their being 'active').
  4. Pay £1,000 into your new current account.
  5. Log on to Online or Mobile Banking.
  6. Once the switch has happened you will receive the reward within 30 calendar days of the switch completing.
Make sure you read & can meet the terms: https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/current-accounts/switching

Virgin

They've had a switch reward for a while which has been changed a couple of times so check which one is on at the time you want to switch. One thing we've found out though is that you can have more than one single name M Plus current accounts which pay 2.02% PA on £1,000 (any amount over this in the account won't earn interest) but if you go down this round ideally set-up a simply transfer of funds into it each month so that it can be shown to be being used as a current account and not just a savings account with no transactions going through it. You don't need to leave the transferred funds into it, I just do what I call a 'ping-pong', ie set standing order payments to go automatically from a non-Virgin account into it and then have Virgin send it back again a couple of days later, once set-up it they don't need any further input.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been with the same bank for decade's, they have excellent on line banking a good selection of high street branch's and services, staff at all levels are informed and very friendly. Isn't this what a good bank is all about or am I missing something.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I was trying not to do this but knew someone on here would be egging us on.
I note Santander are saying they will not pay out if they suspect a non bona fide transfer. As I have asked them to open accounts with them to do similar with other banks I may not be on firm ground :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Have you been watching Martin Lewis again :hugs::hugs:
MSE site has been v useful recently to help us get up to £7500 of our additional income 'tax free' ...... we were originally told that we would have to pay tax on our Airbnb earnings even if it was below £7500, however MSE pointed out that the criteria a lot of people thought was in place has never been enacted ... We are nowhere near that as we are only doing specific bookings but it has still saved us a bob or two

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have been with the same bank for decade's, they have excellent on line banking a good selection of high street branch's and services, staff at all levels are informed and very friendly. Isn't this what a good bank is all about or am I missing something.
According to Martin Lewis you are missing something, he goes mad about people being loyal saying banks will try every trick in the book to get money out you, give you the worst deal they can get away with and extract money from you.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you been watching Martin Lewis again :hugs::hugs:
Nope, been too busy with my Mum to do so however I haven't watched him for yonks anyway as I got a bit fed up of the continual covid support being reported for others which we don't qualify for at all, an a lot of it was just regurgitated again and again, lots of stuff about students etc; I don't even get his newsletter now. I did subscribe a few months ago to a new chap's newsletter 'Andy be clever with your cash' just out of interest to see what it was like, it's not as detailed as the MSE one but that's not a bad thing as he just tends to stick with a few bits of 'new' info which is where I've seen some of the above stuff. Hubby gets the MSE newsletter so he spotted the Santander offer before I did but I saw the Nationwide one before him so a combination of both newsletters seems to work best.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You mean you only have ONE bank account! :oops: Flipping heck, we've had a few for donkey's years! :giggle: We have one main account which we will never close having been with them for nearly 40 years but that's just because we're used to them and have some local branches if we really need to visit (not had to for years), plus its the one that our income goes into and most of our bills are paid through. We also have several others too which have various perks, some we keep for a while, others only a short time depending on our requirements, eg if they have a good interest rate and we need somewhere to put extra accessible cash for a while (our main account only pays interest on £5k max).

I think at one point we had around 30 accounts (current, savers and Bonds) which were 'fun' to keep track of for the tax return! 😁

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was trying not to do this but knew someone on here would be egging us on.
I note Santander are saying they will not pay out if they suspect a non bona fide transfer. As I have asked them to open accounts with them to do similar with other banks I may not be on firm ground :)
I suppose if you've done that you won't have a 'good' track record of staying with them so any further new account openings could be checked carefully, however as it's a completely automated system I'm not sure how they'd know especially since you'd be switching into a new Santander account and not switching it to another bank. Might be worth having an online chat with them - you might find that your original log-in details still work as ours do and we haven't been with them since 2016.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Forgot to mention the below ones that we did previously but which are still valid. Rather than type the info out the below has been copied from MSE site: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/#hsbcswitch

Lloyds

The Club Lloyds account gives newbies who switch to it £100 in cash. There's a £3 account fee, but it's waived if you pay in £1,500+ per month. You also get to pick one of these four perks for the year:
  • 12 digital movie rentals (that would normally cost you c. £55)
  • OR six cinema tickets (that'd cost £30-65, depending on location)
  • OR a magazine subscription (that'd cost £35-45)
  • OR a Gourmet Society membership (that'd cost c. £40)
The account's good for savers as it pays interest on up to £5,000: 0.6% on £1 to £4,000 and 1.5% on the bit between £4,000 and £5,000. Keep £5,000 in the account for a year and you'd earn an effective rate of 0.76% – beating top easy-access savings rates. Plus, there's a 1% regular savings account where you can save up to £400 per month.

HSBC

Newbies switching to Broken Link Removed account can get a free £140 – made up of £110 cash and a £30 Uber Eats voucher or a £30 Dining Out gift card. Though do note with this account that there's a relatively high minimum monthly pay in of £1,750/mth – equivalent to a salary of £25,600/year.

Once the account's open, you can access a linked 1% regular saver where you can save up to £250/mth.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Santander
Great post Minxy
For Santander, their site suggests existing CA owners will have to visit a local branch:
Santander said:
Already have an eligible current account with us? You can switch a current account you hold elsewhere to your existing Santander one to benefit from this offer. Simply visit your local branch. You may need to book an appointment.
Not a show stopper if that’s correct, just double checking 👍🏻

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
The link is a bit tenuous but it's the only way I could think of making this a legitimate MH related post! :giggle:

Note that I am in no way a financial adviser so if you choose to do any of the below I bear no responsibility for you cocking-up, however if you are successful I won't object if you want to give me a "finder's donation"! 😁

The below are just some 'perks' that we've found, there may be others so if you are wanting to make more dosh in this way have a mooch round the internet to see what else may be available.

Nationwide Building Society

They have been doing a switching reward for a while which has 2 reward payments which you could qualify for making £125 in total:
  • £100 for those who don't have an account with them already
  • an extra £25 for 'members' who already have an account with them (either current or saver)
As a non-member (ie no account of any sort with NW) in order to qualify for the extra £25 the easiest way is as follows:
  1. First open a basic saver and put a small amount of money in it
  2. Wait a day before doing anything else as this gives time for you to be fully registered in their system and thus you will be recognised as a genuine member
  3. Decide which existing bank account you want to switch to NW making sure that it has 2 active direct debits on it (or will have by the time it switches) and that you are happy for this account to be closed when the switch happens.
  4. Apply for a current account (FlexAccount, FlexPlus or FlexDirect) and request a switch as part of the opening procedure (some of these have monthly fees so check which is most suitable for you first).
  5. You will be asked to select a date for the switch which will happen no later than 30 days after you request it (you'll be offered dates to choose from) - if you have newly set up direct debits on your existing account make sure it is after their first collection date so you meet the criteria of their being 'active'.
  6. Once the switch has happened you will receive the reward(s) within 10 calendar days of the switch completing.
As a member (ie you already have an account with NW):
  • If you don't have a current account follow steps 4. to 6. above to open one.
  • If you do have a current account you can simply apply to switch a non-NW current account into it along with 2 active direct debits following steps 5. to 6. above
Make sure you read & can meet the terms: https://www.nationwide.co.uk/curren...unt-online-switch-offer-terms-and-conditions/

Santander

They have brought out a new switch 'cashback' reward of £130 for new and existing customers:
  1. Decide which existing bank account you want to switch to Santander making sure that it has 2 active direct debits on it (or will have by the time it switches) and that you are happy for this account to be closed when the switch happens.
  2. If you have a Santander current account already simply request to switch your existing account elsewhere into it; if you don't already have an account with them apply for a current account (check which ones qualify as not all do) and request a switch as part of the opening procedure (some of these have monthly fees so check which is most suitable for you first). [Note that, probably due to high demand, it appears that their system is having a hissy fit so you may not be able to do the switch request when opening the account in which case you'll have to just open the account on-line then visit a branch to get them to set-up the switch for you - this is what I'm having to do].
  3. If you are able to request the switch you will be asked to select a date for it which will happen no later than 60 days after you request it (you'll be offered dates to choose from) - if you have active direct debits on your existing account they will transfer over, if not you can set them up afterwards on your new Santander account so long as you do so within 60 days of it's opening (make sure their first collection date is before the 60 days is up though so you meet the criteria of their being 'active').
  4. Pay £1,000 into your new current account.
  5. Log on to Online or Mobile Banking.
  6. Once the switch has happened you will receive the reward within 30 calendar days of the switch completing.
Make sure you read & can meet the terms: https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/current-accounts/switching

Virgin

They've had a switch reward for a while which has been changed a couple of times so check which one is on at the time you want to switch. One thing we've found out though is that you can have more than one single name M Plus current accounts which pay 2.02% PA on £1,000 (any amount over this in the account won't earn interest) but if you go down this round ideally set-up a simply transfer of funds into it each month so that it can be shown to be being used as a current account and not just a savings account with no transactions going through it. You don't need to leave the transferred funds into it, I just do what I call a 'ping-pong', ie set standing order payments to go automatically from a non-Virgin account into it and then have Virgin send it back again a couple of days later, once set-up it they don't need any further input.
I switched an account to Virgin as above recently and by doing everything asked, I got a free CASE of WINE, which was part of the deal at the time Very enjoyable.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Forgot to mention the below ones that we did previously but which are still valid. Rather than type the info out the below has been copied from MSE site: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/#hsbcswitch

Lloyds

The Club Lloyds account gives newbies who switch to it £100 in cash. There's a £3 account fee, but it's waived if you pay in £1,500+ per month. You also get to pick one of these four perks for the year:
  • 12 digital movie rentals (that would normally cost you c. £55)
  • OR six cinema tickets (that'd cost £30-65, depending on location)
  • OR a magazine subscription (that'd cost £35-45)
  • OR a Gourmet Society membership (that'd cost c. £40)
The account's good for savers as it pays interest on up to £5,000: 0.6% on £1 to £4,000 and 1.5% on the bit between £4,000 and £5,000. Keep £5,000 in the account for a year and you'd earn an effective rate of 0.76% – beating top easy-access savings rates. Plus, there's a 1% regular savings account where you can save up to £400 per month.

HSBC

Newbies switching to Broken Link Removed account can get a free £140 – made up of £110 cash and a £30 Uber Eats voucher or a £30 Dining Out gift card. Though do note with this account that there's a relatively high minimum monthly pay in of £1,750/mth – equivalent to a salary of £25,600/year.

Once the account's open, you can access a linked 1% regular saver where you can save up to £250/mth.
Save at my age,,Just been spending since we retired,,,Bit of luck the cheque that goes to my undertaker will bounce,,☺😉😇-BUSBY

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Great post Minxy
For Santander, their site suggests existing CA owners will have to visit a local branch:

Not a show stopper if that’s correct, just double checking 👍🏻

Yup, I alluded to it in 'no 2.' above - probably should've made it stand out a bit more :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy Girl , I must have made £1000 switching banks over the last few years, martin Lewis is the man.
We were doing it long before he got his act together! 😁 One day I'll add up how much we've earned this way but it's well into 4 figures! :dance2:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We were doing it long before he got his act together! 😁 One day I'll add up how much we've earned this way but it's well into 4 figures! :dance2:
I tried but lost track of the cash so stick with no moreal than 3 at a time I will look to see what's the best one for me 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back