Free Member
May 18, 2015
watford
Funster No
MH
autotrail 700 se
Exp
I'm a newbie
does anyone know if celotex insulation would be practicable to replace polystyrene insulation. I need to fit between wallboards and outer skin (grp or ally) . If anyone knows of any other type of usable insulation that would also be great.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I would say not.Selotex is very heavy depending on size of cavity You can get fibre glass between 2side silver foil in different thicknesses .Supposed to be good and light.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Threeply

I would say that there is very little difference in weight of a comparable thickness of polystyrene and celotex (or kingspan) insulation and see no reason why it should not be used to replace the polystyrene. I used it in my self built VW T4 and it is still fine. When cutting it, I found that the best thing to use was an old breadknife. The edges should be cut with a very slight angle on them so that when they are pushed into place, so that it gets wedged in and is firmly held. Any non rigid insulation used in the walls is likely to slip down and leave cold spots

Cheers

Trevor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I have built a number of high-roof VWs a T4, three T5s and now a T6 and always used 19mm 3M Thinsulate in walls and roof fixed in place with high temperature spray adhesive. Thinsulate gives good thermal insulation but additionally provides good sound insulation. I have used 20mm Celotex under the floor which seems to be excellent for thermal insulation in that location although obtaining 20mm is not easy. The source for my current project was SIG at Dudley the suppliers of 3M Thinsulate were Marine Industrial.

Rod

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say you want to use Blue Styrofoam its closed cell so does not take up any moisture, it has good compressive and structural properties so will add some structure behind the outer panel, it is used by many of the top manufacturers and is used in fully bonded side panels.

Martin

OP
OP
threeply

threeply

Free Member
May 18, 2015
watford
Funster No
MH
autotrail 700 se
Exp
I'm a newbie
thank you everybody we have decided to go for the Styrofoam, so hopefully we will be putting everything back together next week.
thanking everybody once again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back