Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Well half the pubs are inns. Even less on your back if you're going to both sleep and eat in the pubs. No taxis, looking up bus/train timetables, etc. Although you need to know your average speed to make bookings in advance. I've lived in and about Reading most of my life. Some of my favorite stretches of Thames are the section west of Pangbourne and that between Henley and just east of Hurley.
Half the fun, I think, is planning where I can park the Moho and how to get back to it, I have plenty of apps on my phone for buses trains etc. So should be OK 😊👍🏻

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Having said I prefer the mountains. I have walked the Dalesway four or five times. This is Ilkley to Bowness (on Windermere) by riverside path. I don’t think we get above 1800 feet so pretty flat. It is though a very interesting walk and easy going all the way. I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a decent walk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
JFF
Cough!!! You should walk from the source of the River Churn to do the Thames source to river mouth walk properly.
Other than the name, how did Thames Head become the source? :)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
JFF
Cough!!! You should walk from the source of the River Churn to do the Thames source to river mouth walk properly.
I’ve often wondered that too..... The Churn looks a much more likely source - more so than the Thames Head (Pub)! ;)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you can get hold of a copy of this book, have a read. It won't help you with planning, but it's a funny account of
One man and his dog.

Screenshot_20201030-064641_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
JFF
Everything I've read gives the same source, how did you discover the source is at the Churn?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I was genuinely underwhelmed when we went to find the source of the Thames ::bigsmile:

This statue of Father Thames used to be there but due to vandalism moved to St Johns Lock, he is a well loved statue locally, on Christmas Day he often has a bottle and glass by him and during lockdown in March I found him sporting the following.

EA5F4EB7-1C18-4379-91C2-D59A3E8AFE91.jpeg

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
JFF
Everything I've read gives the same source, how did you discover the source is at the Churn?
Don't panic. It was a "Just For Fun" post.
This summer I camped near Infant Thames and in later research read about the "controversy".
If you want to extend your hiking by ~20km then use the River Churn but I'm not offended if you use your references & guide books.

edit: FWIW at the Seven Springs source you'd get a plaque suggesting you're at the Thames source :)
reference

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Each to his own, might try mountains one day
I wouldn't bother, all you see up there are sheep. The Thames is full fantastic places to stop off and visit with history to suit. The house where George Michael was found backs onto. Winsor, Hampton Court and much much more. Hills are for old duffers who are attempting to prove something. The Thames is for pure enjoyment. ;) :giggle:

OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I live in Shepperton, where the Thames Path changes banks. If the ferry isn't running, pm me and I'll arrange to give you a lift from Shepperton Lock to Weybridge. Save you a 2/3 mile boring (to me) inland walk.
Thanks Malcolm, might just take you up on that! 👣 😊

OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Don't panic. It was a "Just For Fun" post.
This summer I camped near Infant Thames and in later research read about the "controversy".
If you want to extend your hiking by ~20km then use the River Churn but I'm not offended if you use your references & guide books.

edit: FWIW at the Seven Springs source you'd get a plaque suggesting you're at the Thames source :)
reference
Must be getting old, had to look up what FWIW means :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
As an alternative, walk the River Wye, prettiest river in England and of course Wales.
Much nicer than the Thames.
Even canoe parts if your'e up for it, lots of companies offer hire and pick up at the other end.

Denton

Free Member
Jul 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Let me know when you do it, maybe help out with transport as I live near Cirencester, or come along for a walk..

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
The house where George Michael was found backs onto.

Yes that's in Goring on Thames, there is a fantastic pub there called the Catherine Wheel that George Michael frequented, nice spot for some lunch.

We walked there from `Pangbourne not long after he died, the shrine that was there was something else. Fans were visiting just for photographs.

OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Let me know when you do it, maybe help out with transport as I live near Cirencester, or come along for a walk..
I think I'll do the first bit in day trips from home as buses etc are a bit few and far between, but when I have dates, I'll give you a shout in case you're free to join me Thanks

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes that's in Goring on Thames, there is a fantastic pub there called the Catherine Wheel that George Michael frequented, nice spot for some lunch.

We walked there from `Pangbourne not long after he died, the shrine that was there was something else. Fans were visiting just for photographs.
Another one is the village of Turville where the vicar of dibliey was made. Just ten mins from Marlow.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
How about doing the Thames Path Challenge and raise some money for your favourite charity ?
I did this one a few years ago, 100 km in 20 hours - you miss some of the spectacle when walking through the night and it gets a bit narrow and foggy in places, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

OP
OP
Ginster
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
How about doing the Thames Path Challenge and raise some money for your favourite charity ?
I did this one a few years ago, 100 km in 20 hours - you miss some of the spectacle when walking through the night and it gets a bit narrow and foggy in places, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
I did a 30 mile cross country run from Wookey Hole to Weston-super-Mare for Weston Hospicecare when I was a bit (lot!) younger and fitter, think your one is a bit beyond me plus I'm hoping to be in France in September, maybe 2022 for the shorter distance 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back