Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Saw this on Facebook today and felt that dog owners might want to know: -

Everyone while walking their dogs in the snow should just be aware that the grit used to melt the snow is very toxic to dogs. If they walk on it then it can burn the skin on their paws and cause serious amounts of pain. I didn’t know this until this morning when I brought my dog out and after walking for five minutes on a path that had been gritted he started to squeal and lift up his left front paw, I lifted him up instantly and had a look as I thought he may have stood in glass but his paw was all red and inflamed. If anyone’s heard of the salt and ice challenge they will understand how the chemical reaction works on bare skin. Also if a dog tries to lick their paw clean this can cause poisoning due to the de-icing chemicals within the grit.

28379222_157664718227984_7364248924409435852_n.jpg

Reactions: DBK

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
No problem round us at the moment - there's no salt or gritting going on! Just lots and lots of deep snow for him to play in, then he tries to bring it into the house.

But a timely warning - thanks very much

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Nasty stuff :(

'Unlike table salt, road salt is not for licking! While both begin as sodium chloride, the coarse mix used on roads and highways contains high levels of chemicals such as sodium ferrocyanide and ferric ferrocyanide that prevent caking during storage.'

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Also hard compacted snow/ice will be between the paws after a walk. I know it will melt, but must be uncomfortable until it does and takes only seconds for us to clear it away. (y)

Hell, I miss our little girl with a mega passion. It hurts so much, even after 9 months, that we cannot yet even begin to think about getting another doggy.

P1000887 (600 x 450).jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Mine brings frozen snowballs in on her feet, quite difficult to remove.

Jazz's toes this morning after we went out rescuing stranded drivers. The snow between the toes is really compacted and they take a good 20 minutes of her licks to get rid of them.

Jazz's Toes.jpg

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We always put our shih-tzu in the sink and wash his paws and legs in warm water after playing/walking in the snow
just in case of this.
Cheers, Dave(y)
Can;t seem to put a picture on..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i was seriously told of as i went over the road to the grit bin and brought a bucket back and gritted our path i didnt know about it being bad for dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Also hard compacted snow/ice will be between the paws after a walk. I know it will melt, but must be uncomfortable until it does and takes only seconds for us to clear it away. (y)

Hell, I miss our little girl with a mega passion. It hurts so much, even after 9 months, that we cannot yet even begin to think about getting another doggy.

View attachment 216339
Nice piccy, they stay in your heart don’t they.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Saw this on Facebook today and felt that dog owners might want to know: -

Everyone while walking their dogs in the snow should just be aware that the grit used to melt the snow is very toxic to dogs. If they walk on it then it can burn the skin on their paws and cause serious amounts of pain. I didn’t know this until this morning when I brought my dog out and after walking for five minutes on a path that had been gritted he started to squeal and lift up his left front paw, I lifted him up instantly and had a look as I thought he may have stood in glass but his paw was all red and inflamed. If anyone’s heard of the salt and ice challenge they will understand how the chemical reaction works on bare skin. Also if a dog tries to lick their paw clean this can cause poisoning due to the de-icing chemicals within the grit.

View attachment 216304

This picture used is actually from dog paws on a very hot pavement and was circulated widely last year on facebook to highlight those dangers

I feel its misleading as its now being circulated widely on facebook again to highlight risks of road salt. I am yet to see any pictorial evidence of burns like that to a dogs pads caused by road grit as is my vet.

However the ingestion of road salt is potentially dangerous so we always rinse Nelsons feet after walks in icy or snowy conditions where grit may be present.

Mrs S

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back