Walkie talkies (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not sure about the legality of using while moving, but some do have separate microphones/earphones ,but would they not come under cb
rather than a phone device?.
Correct. The mobile phone law is very specific and applies only to mobile phones.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Correct. The mobile phone law is very specific and applies only to mobile phones.
I think you may find the the UK law is any handheld communication device including touching e.g. sat Navs etc. Not sure about other countries.
UK law says you can be prosecuted for any distraction that is avoidable. e.g.. messing about at the wheel e.g.. drinking, eating preening etc
I digress.
Back to my original post. We use mobiles on either hands-free (still dodgy in UK ) or use by passenger.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think you may find the the UK law is any handheld communication device including touching e.g. sat Navs etc. Not sure about other countries.
UK law says you can be prosecuted for any distraction that is avoidable. e.g.. messing about at the wheel e.g.. drinking, eating preening etc
I digress.
Back to my original post. We use mobiles on either hands-free (still dodgy in UK ) or use by passenger.
I thought l made the point about being in control of the vehicle. Look up the law on use of mobile phones. It relates only to hand-held mobile phones and not to fixed-frequency radio devices.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-mobile-phones

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I thought l made the point about being in control of the vehicle. Look up the law on use of mobile phones. It relates only to hand-held mobile phones and not to fixed-frequency radio devices.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-mobile-phones
In the words of Charles Dickens in Oliver Twist: "If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is an ass”. How can it be safer to use a hand held Walkie talkie when driving, when it is not safe to use a hand held mobile phone.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And how safe are cyclists are safe using a mobile phone? Seen plenty on the phone and weaving on and off pavements and roads etc and they're on two wheels.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In the words of Charles Dickens in Oliver Twist: "If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is an ass”. How can it be safer to use a hand held Walkie talkie when driving, when it is not safe to use a hand held mobile phone.
It can't - other than you don't have to answer it or look at it hence the single frequency mention. I know Radio Amateurs have always favoured a fixed microphone on a flexi-stem and the PTT within reach of the steering wheel. But like most motoring law of late the one relating to mobile phones was a knee-jerk reaction to something that went on for too long until there was (quite rightly) a public outcry.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
It is not just a case of what is legal or not. The fact is if you are using any form of communication device you 're no longer concentrationing on the primary task properly or driving to the best of your ability. Some people "think they can" but evidence shows they cannot.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have amatuer radio in my car, normally I only use it when stationary. The microphone hangs on the passenger side and swmbo also has a licence.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Robs not into elemtronics... :shake: :shake: :shake:

I would use these = :giggler:

upload_2018-1-14_8-9-42.jpeg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for the offer, but i presume they will only charge on the supplied charger, we need ones which either use
normal batts or can be charged separately(in different vans) at same time,if that makes sense.

Karl

They should last all day on use and then can be charged up in one van, using an inverter if not on hookup, overnight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back