Wales (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
It seems that Dawn has never been to Wales, and we will soon be reaching that time of year when you start to consider next year's trips.

For those who have been or live in Wales, where should we go and why, and in which order.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Get to Shell Island quickly -you can join your mate Joy for the weekend ;):Dfrom van,Grass field 10ft to a 8ft bank,scramble down onto beach-50 yds ish to water another 150 to dolphins (y)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Start at one end and work your way to the other end and you won't be disappointed, it's a brilliant country with so much history.

Iola

Free Member
Jun 24, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Re Anglesey . . you can park overnight on Lligwy Beach, officially £10 per night, beautiful place, but beware if the wind shifts to an Easterly .. if you go there, recommend you go via Moelfre, the road is better. You can also visit the site of the new lifeboat station under construction .. long lifeboat heritage in Moelfre.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Cardiff is "probably" the best city in the world - after that get yourself down to the Pembrokeshire coast and work up from there depending on how much time you have got

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Beautiful places from Anglesey down to the Gower.
I love Hay, but have also stayed at Cwmcuttan ( very pretty site, you can stop the train at the nearby halt) and can also recommend Bedgellert farther north.
Everywhere along the coast seems to have stunning beaches. Portmadoc shown in my photo. Travelled with the 2 dogs on steam train from Bedgellert. The train stops at the site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 26
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Go to Pembrey country park, and Burry Port, great cycling in the Coastal Park, night stop at the Burry Port marina for £7 or pitch in the park £15, even better come to the meet at the end of this month.(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
North Wales - Barmouth (including cycling the Mawddach estuary trail), Harlech, Porthmeirion, Porthmadog (including Ffestiniog railway), Glaslyn estuary around Borth-y-gest, A5 from Betwys-y-Coed towards Anglesey through the Ogwen Valley. On the Lleyn Peninsula try Abersoch, Hell's Mouth, Aberdaron, Whistling Sands (Porth Oer). For scenery on the way there hang a right as you enter Bala from the direction of the A5 and take the scenic road to Trawsfynedd (or back the other way).

Pembrokeshire Coast National Park - anybloodywhere, it's all lovely, especially Marloes Sands and Skomer Island.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
where do you want to start!

LLyn peninsular / Cricceith / portmirion; Mawrddach estuary / Barmouth; Cardigan bay / Mwnt / Porth Clais / Blue lagoon; North Pembrokeshire coast / St Davids / Marloes / Solva; South Pembrokshire coast / Freshwater West / Angle / Broad haven / St Govans head / Barafundle bay / stack pole quay / Freshwater East ' tenby & Saundersfoot / Pendine;

thats a few for starters and does not include inland areas like the Elan valley. or many many more.

how long you got? what do you like? which part of Wales? (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I think it depends on how long for, fun and frolics, food and wine, beach and bugger all, kids or no kids, quiet and peaceful, away from it all etc, etc, etc, can't disagree with anything that's been said. Had 4 nights in Abersoch in July, stayed in a small field in a certified location .8 mile outside of the town (Bonlondeb) One toilet, one shower, quiet and peaceful but lovely walk down through the golf club or along the beach about 25 to 45 mins depending on ability, all downhill, and £4 in a taxi back after a meal and a beer (with the dog and missus) met up with my son and daughter in law each day (and four grandkids) swam in the sea (warmest I've ever know the sea in UK) made sandcastles and did gymnastics (them not me I hasten to add)
Loads of great places, personally, I'm in Ross on Wye at moment and had the most lovely curry in a Gurkha restaurant last night, so good I'm going again tonight!! But then that's my thang!! Which brings me on to another subject, is there any resource on MHF which pulls together all the good places people have stayed, eaten etc listed by town, country etc. I'll start, Ross on Wye, Eating, Gurkha Restaurant Yaksnyetis, alternative type of curry, loved it. Good luck. Like everyone else I'm sure, loads more, lets start a database!!

OP
OP
Mike B
Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
We are limited on the amount of time we can spend away in one go to about 10 days, from the suggestions made we will probably have to do 3 x 10 day trips to give a decent go at it.

15123293-thank-you-note-with-smiley-face--isolated-on-white.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Where on earth do you start???? Some of my favourite places but I'll miss out far more than I list:

Llandudno
Denbigh
Ruthin
St Asaph
Bala
Shell Island
Anglesea
Conwy
Carew
St David's
Carmathen
The Gower
Nant Eos
Llangollen - especially the road to World's End where there is an old Tudor house (private) where Queen Elizabeth I is romoured to have given birth to Thomas Seymour's child. I love a mystery.
Usk
Brecon

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had a couple of nights here:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dolaucothi-gold-mines/

As NTS members we got a discount on camping so it was very reasonable. No showers or toilets but EHU and grey waste / cassette empty point..... also campers get free admission to the mine, there are two different tours and you can pan for gold.

Highly recommended.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like Pembrokshire, It's like Cornwall, but the locals actually appreciate the tourists ;)

The trouble is Jim there isn't much business sense down there.

They don't extract enough cash from these tourists.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
If you only have short time ..... Pembrokeshire. St Davids, Solva, St Govans Chapel, Bosherston lily ponds, Barafundle Bay, Tenby etc. Lots of seal pups this time of year too :)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Hope Dawn enjoyed Pembrey. Wonderful weather, great show and you had a fantastic Welsh neighbour;)

Ps just noticed the op date:doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back