Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm after some advice regarding waffle boards or something similar to stop us getting stuck anywhere, we're attending the Chester rally and it sounds like the weather is always an issue so best to be prepared for the worst!
I take it we'll need 2 pairs to park up on as well so any recommendations welcome.
Dave

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a pair of the 1000 by 25mm versions of these. Postage isn't cheap but someone posted an eBay link on here somewhere which was for the same item but free postage. http://tracmat.com/index.php?
I spoke to them over the phone to ask if the 25mm would be heavy enough for a 3.5t vehicle and they said if it was just for getting out of muddy/sandy holes they would be fine. If you wanted them for actual "bridging", that is crossing gaps, you would need a thicker pair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is the supplier that I bought from. I went for standard duty but they are very heavy. I think the 25mm thick ones would be more than adequate to stop you sinking in mud.
http://tracmat.com/index.php

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I bought a pair of waffle boards recently, for exactly the same reason. All I would say is be aware they are quite heavy (understandably) and could impact on your payload. I have found a large old cotton bag to store them as I imagine they will be in a real muddy state if I need to use in anger!! Mine are stored on the floor in the underbed storage in my PVC.

Purchased via E Bay, ÂŁ34 free p & p. Size 1000 x 270

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
we've rescued ourselves and other with these. I have 8 and make a road way. Excellent buy.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all, do you actually park on these or just use them if necessary, and would I need them under all wheels?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I park the rear wheels on them if the ground is soggy (RWD). I normally place the wheels towards the back of the boards so I can get some momentum before running off the boards.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
we've rescued ourselves and other with these. I have 8 and make a road way. Excellent buy.
Agreed, we have 4 of these, very light , easy to store, and like you said, you can make a road with them, which makes the job a lot easier. Got 10 vans out of a soggy field in Belgium with them .Best ÂŁ20 i spent so far.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m sure i saw some advice to go round Sainsburys late at night and reallocate their bread bins and and saw them down to size. Lighter and cheaper.

I cannot condone the reallocation of resources and it was not my advice. Other similar shops are available

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Excuse me if this seems to be a stupid question.

Why do you lot choose to park on wet/muddy fields?

I do sometimes park on grass, but if it looks not suitable I would go somewhere else.

We do not use campsites, but even if we did and if I had booked, if the pitch were not useable I would ask for my money back.

Is it too much to expect that pitches should be suitable for motorhomes?

The owners will never improve things if people accept sub-standard.

How much does it cost to have a few tons of ballast delivered and rolled in to make a reasonable 'hard-standing?

Geoff

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a pair of 1220 X 310 x 32 Tracmat waffle boards (sand ladders) which I park the front wheels on at places like Peterborough show ... great for stopping wheels sinking and long enough to get a good run off.

The only possible problem I have found is that they sometimes kick up when going on or off them so they can damage exhausts or other underside components.

I also Fiamma gripmats but find they can shoot out from under the driving wheels.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I do sometimes park on grass, but if it looks not suitable I would go somewhere else.

We do not use campsites, but even if we did and if I had booked, if the pitch were not useable I would ask for my money back.

How much does it cost to have a few tons of ballast delivered and rolled in to make a reasonable 'hard-standing?

Geoff
Geoff

We are talking England you know:LOL: and quite often its the outdoor shows like Peterborough or Chester racecourse and they don't want their fields done over with hardcore. I know you have stopped taking my advice but if you wanted it I would say RWD and a diff lock, if you are stuck after that you know you are proper stuck and its the on board hydraulic jacks and some planks of wood to lift it out the hole and onto something solid(y)

Martin

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

Geoff

Ordinarily I'd be careful Geoff, it's only because we're going to the Chester rally at the racecourse in April and it sounds like it always rains there so it's just for precaution, although saying that we're going to Godrevy CC site next weekend and from memory they don't have any hardstandings either.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I bought the 25mm waffle boards only last week, free delivery. Solid but heavy at 5kgs each.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The Fiamma/Milenco type grip mats do fly away if you are not careful. I've tried spiking through the holes with tent pegs but this is not ideal. It's fine if you have parked on them though. I've heard of the cut down plastic bread trays but none have ever relocated themselves my way, and I'm a very poor relocator.

I've also heard of using baking trays if you stuck in a hole. Apparently, you push the tray right side up in front of the driving tyre, and as you ease forwards the tray is pulled into the hole with the rotating action of the wheel, and this then bridges the hole and provides the grip. The two issues I have are that all trays nowadays are non-stick coated, or if they are used they are covered in grease. Plus my wife would not be too happy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back