Waeco MSI1812T Pure Sinewave Inverter Gives Up Just Outside of Warranty But...... (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My Waeco Inverter which has had very little use since being fitted although still needed and was quite an expensive bit of kit gave up whilst on a day trip to test all was working last Friday. We are taking our Grandson to Legoland next week so decided we would do it in the motorhome and stay at a CL near by so thought it best to test everything to ensure all good. Unfortunately when we arrived and i plugged in the electric we couldn't get any of the sockets working. After about an hour of testing this and that i could hear something from under the seat where the inverter is fitted, pulling everything off and exposing the batteries and inverter i could hear a clicking noise coming from inverter. A quick call to vanbitz and it was as i thought it had developed a fault where it would not switch over to mains. Full credit to Vanbitz as they told me how to bypass it which was simple and they emailed Dometic to see if they would honor the warranty and to my surprise and Vanbitz they said no problem. So now just waiting for instructions on where to send it and i will fit the repaired unit when it comes back which also saves me a trip to Taunton. Just another reason why its always best to deal with companies with a solid reputation as in times when you need it they always come through. It was much less hassle for me trying to figure out why the mains isn't working as some parts of the motorhome had electric like the Fridge and control panel above the door but sockets didn't. For the technical people out there this was probably very easy :)
All in all everything worked out or is working out :)

Also in the future i now know how to bypass it if i need to which is also a bonus :)

Full credits to vanbitz though not sure if Ash is on this forum but i know eddie is so will tag him eddievanbitz much appreciated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Waeco inverter has a built in changeover relay, if installed correctly the inverter has the van sockets wired via the relay in the inverter but the fridge & charger are wired directly to the EHU inlet. Only know this as I had been looking it up to sort out another Funster with a similar problems.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The Waeco inverter has a built in changeover relay, if installed correctly the inverter has the van sockets wired via the relay in the inverter but the fridge & charger are wired directly to the EHU inlet. Only know this as I had been looking it up to sort out another Funster with a similar problems.
Sounds like how mine are wired as it was only the sockets that were affected, there is a way to add in a bypass of some kind as that was going to be the next option if not covered under warranty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 24, 2017
MK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My Waeco Inverter which has had very little use since being fitted although still needed and was quite an expensive bit of kit gave up whilst on a day trip to test all was working last Friday. We are taking our Grandson to Legoland next week so decided we would do it in the motorhome and stay at a CL near by so thought it best to test everything to ensure all good. Unfortunately when we arrived and i plugged in the electric we couldn't get any of the sockets working. After about an hour of testing this and that i could hear something from under the seat where the inverter is fitted, pulling everything off and exposing the batteries and inverter i could hear a clicking noise coming from inverter. A quick call to vanbitz and it was as i thought it had developed a fault where it would not switch over to mains. Full credit to Vanbitz as they told me how to bypass it which was simple and they emailed Dometic to see if they would honor the warranty and to my surprise and Vanbitz they said no problem. So now just waiting for instructions on where to send it and i will fit the repaired unit when it comes back which also saves me a trip to Taunton. Just another reason why its always best to deal with companies with a solid reputation as in times when you need it they always come through. It was much less hassle for me trying to figure out why the mains isn't working as some parts of the motorhome had electric like the Fridge and control panel above the door but sockets didn't. For the technical people out there this was probably very easy :)
All in all everything worked out or is working out :)

Also in the future i now know how to bypass it if i need to which is also a bonus :)

Hi Zac, sounds like i have a similar issue, i am getting a tapping/knocking noise from my 5yr old MSI 1812T the full symptoms are.......
When the van is plugged into the mains and the inverter switched off it is making an intermittent clicking/taping noise, when the inverter is switched on the noise increases in volume.
The internal sockets work when the inverter is switched on (both with or without mains hook up) however when the inverter is switched off and the mains hook up is connected the internal sockets do not work.
Also the noise stops when the mains cable is removed. The inverter is 5 years old but has had very little use.
I guess at 5yrs old it is out of warranty, so before replacing it i am investigating getting repaired, could you advise who repaired your unit and also as i am stuck without sockets could you explain the work around to bypass it?
Many thanks

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Itā€™s hard to find a company you can trust. Vanbitz seem to the diamond šŸ’Ž standard all others should look to be at. If I ever need work they do, I would use them. A bit of a Jaunt though šŸ˜·

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The mains in & out are on male & female IEC connectors just unplug them and plug them together to by pass the inverter.

Apr 24, 2017
MK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
FH, Lenny, Zac......thanks for your help, i now 240v sockets working on EHU....i will reached out to vanbitz tomorrow to see if i can a repair done.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
FH, Lenny, Zac......thanks for your help, i now 240v sockets working on EHU....i will reached out to vanbitz tomorrow to see if i can a repair done.
Not sure what the cost to repair is but they are now recommended Victrons, also it will be a long time to wait to hear from Dometic as i've now been waiting 4 weeks and at present i have not received a replacement although I did get an email this week from vanbitz saying dometic had finally responded. Can't complain as they are doing it under warranty but i wouldn't buy the same one again thats for sure. These things should last more than 2 years with very very light use, i see you got longer out of yours which is comforting but for me i would go with another brand for sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back