Free Member
Nov 7, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Waeco ECW-012VS inverter for the easy cool air com. I don't use the air com on battery/inverter because of the power drain. I only use AC for air com, however I would like to use the inverter to power an 800w microwave. Can any tell me whether the inverter is pure since wave or modified since wave. The microwave is a combo with digital display.

Thanks for your help ....

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Roy, Any questions start a new thread in the Motorhome Chat forum part with your specific questions to get more replies and more will see your posts.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
We have a Waeco ECW-012VS inverter for the easy cool air com. I don't use the air com on battery/inverter because of the power drain. I only use AC for air com, however I would like to use the inverter to power an 800w microwave. Can any tell me whether the inverter is pure since wave or modified since wave. The microwave is a combo with digital display.

Thanks for your help ....

I can't find tech spec for that one - you need to provide more detail.

If using it for a microwave you need to see what the actual wattage input power of it is not the microwave output power rating.

Daewoo Qt series do about the smallest available 1000w input power - 600w microwave output power with soft start.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've powered microwaves from a modified sine wave inverter OK, including one with a digital display. I'd give yours a try. Inverters draw more current on start-up but can often cope with a temporary surge. Weaco provide reasonable kit, so I would not expect it to be 'fried' if it can't cope. It ought to cut out or object with an alarm. Avoid using the grill.

OP
OP
R

Roy S

Free Member
Nov 7, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for that, I will give try.

Many thanks

Roy

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Just had a quick look..

If the model number is correct then it is a 1600watt inverter. So look at your microwave wattage requirements.

I would say you should be fine with an average microwave unless you have some super duper mega quick version! the inverter would also be fine when using a kettle or toaster as examples.
I think its a modified inverter so you will be limited to what you can use it for as not being a Pure Sinewave. Meaning such items like charging electric Tooth brushes or fancy coffee machines or hair straighteners will either not work or could potentially damage them, but as already said microwave and hairdryers etc will be fine..

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You obviously mean a low wattage kettle rather than a quickboil ?

That inverter for aircon is for mobile aircon use , that what it says in my waeco brochure

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd hope that most would not dream of powering any kettle from an inverter. It's cheaper and quicker to use gas, anyway, (but a coffee maker is a different scene).
The OP appears to recognise such limitations.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Just had a quick look..

If the model number is correct then it is a 1600watt inverter. So look at your microwave wattage requirements.

I would say you should be fine with an average microwave unless you have some super duper mega quick version! the inverter would also be fine when using a kettle or toaster as examples.
I think its a modified inverter so you will be limited to what you can use it for as not being a Pure Sinewave. Meaning such items like charging electric Tooth brushes or fancy coffee machines or hair straighteners will either not work or could potentially damage them, but as already said microwave and hairdryers etc will be fine..

1600 watt inverter with an 800 watt output microwave quoted by Op will not be fine! Inverter will struggle and more to point batteries? Op needs to state input power consumption of microwave.Battery levels of charge also relavent.

Last edited:

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
1600 watt inverter with an 800 watt output microwave quoted by Op will not be fine! Inverter will struggle and more to point batteries? Op needs to state input power consumption of microwave.Battery levels of charge also relavent.

Agreed!!

I should of read the Op post!! It would struggle as suggested and may run but for how long. Not worth the risk in causing damage more to the point..

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
You obviously mean a low wattage kettle rather than a quickboil ?

That inverter for aircon is for mobile aircon use , that what it says in my waeco brochure

who takes a quick boil kettle when camping!

and yes thats what it is designed for normally listed as a DC-kit 2 through Dometic/Waeco range. this would be a very expensive inverter system just to run an average appliance

OP
OP
R

Roy S

Free Member
Nov 7, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you for all for your replies on my 1600w Waeco inverter, in answer to all your replies ......

The max power consumption of the microwave is 1200w.
We have two 110Ah Numax leisure batteries which are topped up with a 60watt solar panel.
The only other item that will be connected to the inverter will be the TV and satellite receiver when we are off grid.

The air con which is connected to the inverter, we will only use it when we are on hook up.

When we are off grid I always use the gas kettle for the cupper.

Thank you again for all your kind help

Cheers

Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back