Waeco CR80 Coolmatic Fridge (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Before I start dismantling stuff has anyone any ideas why the fridge would be working ok on EHU and when driving but when on Leisure battery the low voltage warning light flashes and the fridge compressor cuts in and out continuously. The Leisure batteries (2 x 85ah) both measured 12.7 volts when I tested. As far as I can see in the docs there is a cut off if the voltage drops below 10.4v and cut in voltage of 11.7v so the fact that it keeps starting and stopping makes me think the voltage at the fridge could be around 11.7v although at the batteries it is 12.7v. My thinking may be all wrong as I am not confident with things electrical.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What is the voltage on the leisure batteries when the compressor is running?
If the voltage is dropping significantly it could be the batteries have had it. When a battery is at the end of it's life it's not unusual for the voltage to read OK off load but drop off under load & be unable to supply the current required.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Have just double checked and the voltage wihen the compressor kicks in is 12.5/12.6v and off load is 12.7v.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have just double checked and the voltage wihen the compressor kicks in is 12.5/12.6v and off load is 12.7v.
Sounds like the batteries are OK must be the fridge. As it is OK when driving could be a faulty relay that selects the source but probably won't be that easy as it will probably be surrounded by loads of electronics.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Try to connect the fridge directly to the batteries with a suitable fused short cable and then check the volts at the fridge when the compressor kicks in, we had a similar problem with the voltage drop over the size and length of the cable run to the 12v socket in the van.
If the volts do drop, then it will be the batteries, if not then the fridge if the problem persists.
Cheers
Ed

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
How long does the compressor run for?
Could be a bad connection or undersized cable letting the voltage drop.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - I have just checked and the low voltage alarm is no longer flashing and the fridge is chilling down niceley. The only differences are that the sun has come out 9 (the reading for the solar panel is 13v and the batteries are still showing 12.5v with the compressor running) and I did turn the temperature control off and back on but that may be a coincidence. I guess I will wait till later when the sun goes in and see if it is any different.

I dont think it would be the size of the cable as the fridge has worked fine until last weekend. It could be a loose connection though I suppose.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
looks like your loosing half a volt between your solar controller and the batteries they should read the same

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you able to read the voltage where the cables connect to the back of the fridge (with it turned off)? It may read much lower than at the batteries themselves.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
looks like your loosing half a volt between your solar controller and the batteries they should read the same
Wouldn't the batteries be showing the charge left IN THEM rather than what the solar is producing? The fridge running would be pulling out the power so that may account for the discrepancy.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Are you able to read the voltage where the cables connect to the back of the fridge (with it turned off)? It may read much lower than at the batteries themselves.

I havent taken the fridge out yet - that looks like it will be the next step. I noticed yesterday that when the solar panel is charging the batteries that the fridge will work, but when the sun goes in and the batteries are on their own the low voltage light comes on.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I havent taken the fridge out yet - that looks like it will be the next step. I noticed yesterday that when the solar panel is charging the batteries that the fridge will work, but when the sun goes in and the batteries are on their own the low voltage light comes on.
That to me would indicate that the batteries , when trying to run it on there own, are on their way out as they aren't holding enough charge unless, the solar is working or the engine is running as you earleir stated when it also works ok

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If it is an installed fridge the cut out voltage is usually quite high to avoid to high a discharge rate. If I remember correctly the cut out voltage is lower really just to stop catastrophic battery discharge. You really need to check the voltage at the fridge itself as well and just how good the connections are. It is remarkably easy to loose half a volt through poor contacts. The fridge handbook and for Waeco you should be able to find it online if needded should tell you the cut in/cut out voltages so you can confirm that is working correctly

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
If it is an installed fridge the cut out voltage is usually quite high to avoid to high a discharge rate. If I remember correctly the cut out voltage is lower really just to stop catastrophic battery discharge. You really need to check the voltage at the fridge itself as well and just how good the connections are. It is remarkably easy to loose half a volt through poor contacts. The fridge handbook and for Waeco you should be able to find it online if needded should tell you the cut in/cut out voltages so you can confirm that is working correctly

Thanks - it is an installed fridge and the cut in voltage is 11.7v and the cut out is 10.4v according to the handbook. I will be taking it out at the weekend so will check voltage at the fridge end then. I am leaning towards the batteries as I dont know how old they are and also the lights dim when the compressor kicks in although not sure if its always done that.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The above shows the battery is ok, assuming the solar wasn't charging at the time.
Look for signs of discoloured connectors, a bad connection with a volt drop will get warm or hot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The above shows the battery is ok, assuming the solar wasn't charging at the time.
Look for signs of discoloured connectors, a bad connection with a volt drop will get warm or hot.
Good point if he hadn't disconnected or covered the solar panels readings would be false especially if it was a bright sunny day.
Worth repeating the test at night or with the panels covered or disconnected.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can you access the back of the fridge/cables via the external vents (assuming you have some!).

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Good point if he hadn't disconnected or covered the solar panels readings would be false especially if it was a bright sunny day.
Worth repeating the test at night or with the panels covered or disconnected.

Hi Lenny the initial tests were done at night. Will be checking the voltage at the rear of the fridge when I take it out at the weekend.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Can you access the back of the fridge/cables via the external vents (assuming you have some!).

There are no external vents as it doesnt run on gas - there is a vent into the wardrobe which sits above the fridge but its right at the back and I cant get in there to see anything let alone measure. I am thinking of replacing the batteries anyway as I dont know how long they have been installed and also taking the fridge out and measuring the voltage on the fridge itself.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Relative but slightly off topic, with a compressor fridge with no external venting how do you cope when it's hot. When we are in southern Europe we can often have temperatures insde the van of 35 deg. The fridge will be working flat out poking loads of heat into the van also they fit compressor fridges in PVC's which are not as well insulated as CB's so they will be even hotter. It must be like a sauna.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Relative but slightly off topic, with a compressor fridge with no external venting how do you cope when it's hot. When we are in southern Europe we can often have temperatures insde the van of 35 deg. The fridge will be working flat out poking loads of heat into the van also they fit compressor fridges in PVC's which are not as well insulated as CB's so they will be even hotter. It must be like a sauna.

Just had a google about this particular fridge and it's rated up to 43 deg but no mention of how much 'heat' it puts out.

The Waeco CoolMatic CR-80 caravan boat fridge is part of Waeco's premium range of leisure refrigerators, the CR-80 fridgecomes in a stainless steel finish and is suitable for motor homes, caravans, yachts and boats. The Waeco CR80 caravan fridgerange has cool blue lights inside, recessed door grips, functional cooling space, a separately insulated freezer compartment and a patented door locking mechanism. The Premium Range of caravan fridges and boat fridges have been tested to tropical conditions of up to +43°C and can hold a temperature of -18°C in the freezer compartment and +5°C to +7°C in the rest of the refrigerator.​

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The life of the compressor will be reduced too. The head pressure will be very high and the compressor would burn your hand if you touched it :eek:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Surprisingly without external vents my Waeco was no problem in France and even what seemed hotter still with funsters at red-hot Stratford. This fridge sits below the wardrobe that has a vent above the rear of the fridge which does warm but never hot. It does fortunately serve a necessary function in keeping our towel lagged layer of red wine at a suitable temperature:D2

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The cooler the air round the heat exchanger the bigger the temp gradient the better the efficiency . I noticed the compressor fridge freezer box in my landrover ran a lot less when it was inside the vehicle with the aircon on than when it was in ambient . I have a full size 230v domestic fridge freezer in my RV , and have left the vents that were for the 3 way , as you can feel the heat from the upper vent when its freezing down .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've never understood thateither.

Just had a google about this particular fridge and it's rated up to 43 deg but no mention of how much 'heat' it puts out.

The Waeco CoolMatic CR-80 caravan boat fridge is part of Waeco's premium range of leisure refrigerators, the CR-80 fridgecomes in a stainless steel finish and is suitable for motor homes, caravans, yachts and boats. The Waeco CR80 caravan fridgerange has cool blue lights inside, recessed door grips, functional cooling space, a separately insulated freezer compartment and a patented door locking mechanism. The Premium Range of caravan fridges and boat fridges have been tested to tropical conditions of up to +43°C and can hold a temperature of -18°C in the freezer compartment and +5°C to +7°C in the rest of the refrigerator.​
i've had temps of 50+º when travelling in the centre of spain so a fridge with no vents will just be increasing the heat input in the van. That's if it would actually be doing any cooling itself.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
When installed in a boat it is inadvisable to install ventilation holes in the hull so these fridges are obliged to work away in what in the Med can be a sweat box.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Compressor fridges are significantly more efficient than absorption fridges so the amount of heat they push out is much less. We have a compressor cool box to supplement the small installed fridge and it does throw out some heat inside the van but it has never been a problem.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've never understood thateither.

i've had temps of 50+º when travelling in the centre of spain so a fridge with no vents will just be increasing the heat input in the van. That's if it would actually be doing any cooling itself.

It will cool inefficiently for a few months but with a high evaporating temperature (and high head pressure)... until the compressor blows up :ROFLMAO:.
Seriously though sometimes it feels really hot for us humans but the refrigeration systems soldier on through the summer with higher pressures and shortened life. As I'm sure you know Gus (y) blocked condenser (or no ventilation at all) equates to much more than simply a high ambient temperature... No cooling whatsoever and boom! :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back