ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Anyone have a VW crafter with a fixed transcend bed (width ways)? Is it possible to get a 6ft bed across the back at about half height?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You cannot fit a 6ft bed across the back of the Crafter/Sprinter, this is why any conversions are based on the longer versions which are over 7m with either a French style bed or a pull out one.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks guys, I had thought as much but wasn't 100%. My relay has a 6ft transverse bed although I was thinking of converting a crafter myself dependant on the bed fitting to conserve vehicle length.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the Crafter is only 5ft 8 ins at its widest point ---if you want to convert a MEB Crafter then the best layout (imo) would be loo,shower etc across the back then kitchen either side onto twin singles that make up a double at the front --very similar to my own layout -see link below
terry

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Hi terry, I am after a fixed bed really. My old T5 and T4 had roll out beds but my current Relay has spoilt me with a fixed one across the rear. Wanted to go back to VW but without making and unmaking beds.
Thanks for the advice though and nice conversion too.

Steve

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve then go for a fixed lomgtitudinal bed at the rear working forward :winky:If you work on 6ft 3 to 6 ins long bed then, loo opposite starting kitchen area -should leave enough for a small lounge/ dinningarea poss incorperperating the front seats :thumb: or obviosly loo behind the front seat etc --you could always go for the lwb model though ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Good idea Terry although I am trying to go smaller with the van not longer. I currently have a XLWB relay with the layout I want (in my head) I think I can get away with a MWB......now on the hunt for one!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i got so fed up measuring vans that i cut a thin length of wood to the bed length and also marked on it the widths of fridge etc. then took this to a commercial van dealership. it then took only a few minutes to shortlist vans that would suit my design

not built a camper for a few years now but still fancy doing a big iveco. plenty of work but being so big all round makes them ideal.

for ideas of what will fit trawl ebay ads for various home converted and one off vans. the sprinter/crafter though is just too narrow for a transverse bed or decent sized shower/toilet room

ab1

Free Member
May 18, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self-build
Exp
I'm a newbie, but I learn fast :)
In it is of any help, we went with a bed made by Broken Link Removed in our VW Crafter (MWB).

SAM_0050.jpg

It sits behind the driver's seat and pulls out width-wise. this is the view from the top:

uc

In you want more info, I've written up the progress so far here:
http://anton.belodedenko.me/lining-and-insulating-our-crafter/

-- ab1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back