VW Camper or PVC (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Yes. My house was built in the early thirties so although it has a drive way it's not that long and quite narrow
I was going to say storage, but that's not practical either :( Unless you can live without a daily car, I have for about 15 months o_O

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I was going to say storage, but that's not practical either :( Unless you can live without a daily car, I have for about 15 months o_O

Though I don't use a car during the week I do need one at the weekends and occasionally for work and the school run. It's the lack of daily use that makes me think I can get away with a Van as my only option.

I've never even driven "real van " so I guess I need to organise a test drive somewhere and get a feel for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have owned two VW California's in the past, used them as our daily driver and absolutely loved them and agree with everything stated by Buttons. We sold our last 2012 one as we wanted something a little larger and a shower room and were concerned about the roof corrosion issue (look on the VW California forum for the full details). Regrettably we would never consider the purchase another California until this issue is totally resolved.

Just like you, we decided that we would not consider a PVC larger than 5.5m so bought a Hymercar Serengeti. We have just part exchanged our Serengeti which we loved but got a little tired of clambering up into the elevating roof. Would be great for children though. Also bear in mind that the underside of the pop up roof itself is not insulated (unlike the California).

There is currently our old Serengeti and a Hymercar Sydney available second hand on eBay.

We have a Westfalia Amundsen on order which gives us a fixed bed and a very clever occasional third bed option (see photo below) but I think there are only half a dozen or so on the road currently in the UK so finding a second hand one will be difficult.

Although we have found the PVC very easy to park in most places it is wider than the VW's and if it was my only vehicle or used extensively as a daily driver I would definitely go for a VW based van as long as you mainly use camp sites. Bilbo's vans might be worth considering and I believe recently came out top in a camper van customer satisfaction survey.

Hope this helps.

fullsizeoutput_2fe.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
We have owned two VW California's in the past, used them as our daily driver and absolutely loved them and agree with everything stated by Buttons. We sold our last 2012 one as we wanted something a little larger and a shower room and were concerned about the roof corrosion issue (look on the VW California forum for the full details). Regrettably we would never consider the purchase another California until this issue is totally resolved.

Just like you, we decided that we would not consider a PVC larger than 5.5m so bought a Hymercar Serengeti. We have just part exchanged our Serengeti which we loved but got a little tired of clambering up into the elevating roof. Would be great for children though. Also bear in mind that the underside of the pop up roof itself is not insulated (unlike the California).

There is currently our old Serengeti and a Hymercar Sydney available second hand on eBay.

We have a Westfalia Amundsen on order which gives us a fixed bed and a very clever occasional third bed option (see photo below) but I think there are only half a dozen or so on the road currently in the UK so finding a second hand one will be difficult.

Although we have found the PVC very easy to park in most places it is wider than the VW's and if it was my only vehicle or used extensively as a daily driver I would definitely go for a VW based van as long as you mainly use camp sites. Bilbo's vans might be worth considering and I believe recently came out top in a camper van customer satisfaction survey.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 157929

Thanks that's really helpful. I've seen the Sydney on eBay but unfortunately it's too far away to easily view.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I agree with juleshe, go for a VW based conversion as it's the only option that fits your need for a daily drive. Either a SWB or, if it will fit on your drive a LWB, the 40cms difference belies the extra space it gives and makes parking no more difficult imo.

I have a VW conversion for the very same reasons you have, it's a LWB T5, and I can drive and park just about anywhere I did when I had a car. Even with an elevating roof it's still under 2m so most height restrictions are no problem.

People have been touring and using VW campers for over 1/2 a century so there's no reason you can't, but it is a CAMPERvan and not a motorHOME so, as many have mentioned here, you have to be a camper at heart to enjoy it. If you want home luxuries it may not suit.

A decent elevating roof will be waterproof, you can get thermal wraps for them which together with a webasto/erberspacher will be cozy enough for year round use.

There's a good choice of driveway awnings that increase living/storage space, I had one but prefer a Quechua base seconds that can be pitched against the slider.

There are many VW converters in the UK, Bilbo has been mentioned, Jerba is another plus loads more. How about buying a secondhand panel van and finding a converter who will fit it out exactly to your spec. That's what we did and used http://www.threebridge.co.uk

VW's are much more expensive as a base vehicle than Fiat etc, but they do hold their value, partly because of the heritage, but they are also desirable.

Good luck with your decision

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
Thank you, I guess the daily driver requirements would put the VW in pole position. Like I figured earlier it's all about compromises and where you are prepared to make them. At this moment in time I'd be inclined to choose a California if I went for the VW route. I know there are other converters out there but when their prices are so close to the "Real McCoy" it would make sense to me to go that way though I could be wrong. I was impressed with the Three Bridge conversions. At this moment in time I'm thinking if going Cali I would opt for a Beach and use my existing cooking/fridge equipment and just use the van for sleeping. If going "Full Fat" then a larger vehicle i.e. MWB Sevel would be better as more room.

As ever by this time tomorrow my mind will probably be changed again. Thanks for everyone's input.

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
Thanks for your detailed response Gary. Head says VW or something similar heart says larger panel van, Knaus Boxlife 540 MK or Westafalia Amundsen etc. Unfortunately I have missed the Manchester and Birmingham shows so will have to wait a while before I can go and have look round some vans this end of the country. It's OK watching you tube reviews etc but you can't really tell what something is like unless you see it in the flesh.

I prefer modern interiors and no chintz but nothing blingy either, I quite like the look of the Adria Active interior.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
At this moment in time I'd be inclined to choose a California if I went for the VW route. I know there are other converters out there but when their prices are so close to the "Real McCoy" it would make sense to me to go that way though I could be wrong.

The Cali has a lot going for it and I considered one when looking. It's a little spartan in my view, the interior is a bit dull and lacks individuality. The rock & roll bed is comfortable as a seat but when arranged as a bed you sleep on the seat contours and not the flat back, so many find it uncomfortable. I think I'd find the top loading fridge annoying and the drivers side slider puts some people off, especially those with young children.

Not trying to put you off, just take time and do plenty of research.

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
The Cali has a lot going for it and I considered one when looking. It's a little spartan in my view, the interior is a bit dull and lacks individuality. The rock & roll bed is comfortable as a seat but when arranged as a bed you sleep on the seat contours and not the flat back, so many find it uncomfortable. I think I'd find the top loading fridge annoying and the drivers side slider puts some people off, especially those with young children.

Not trying to put you off, just take time and do plenty of research.

They are good points Infinity, my current car is a large people carrier and the rear seats are able to form a bed. To make it comfortable though an inflatable and a memory foam mattress are needed. This is when the thought of a fixed bed appeals. That word compromise rears its head again. Decent bed v comfortable seats.

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I would also definitely research the California roof corrosion issue which is due to the reaction between dissimilar metals. It started with the "cap" above the windscreen and now also appears to be an issue with the elevating roof itself. VW have extended the warranty to 6 years on the T5 but warranty repairs have been proving ineffective so after 6 years you're on your own. The roof corrosion issue now seems to be cropping up on the T6.

Such a pity as the Cali really is the ultimate VW camper otherwise.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Reference the Dreamer D43 - the budget brand, produced by well established French converter Rapido - only launched last year (2016), so there are no earlier ones around and probably not many used ones available in any case. The forerunner was called 'Campereve', also by Rapido, and they did a similar van, but it was only imported into the UK through Somerset dealer Highbridge Caravans. There is a Rapido V43 also:

(We've got the V68)

We almost bought a new Dreamer last year - a bigger one, the D58 - and I thought they were generally well made and had an appealing modern style. Great value from an established converter. The one word of warning I'd give - check the practicality of assembling and using the third berth! Although we didn't need it, I asked the salesman to demonstrate it. Even after chasing off to the office to find the instructions he only managed to do half the job before giving up.

I'd suggest whichever van you choose, look very carefully at the operation of the third berth to make sure you can live with it.

Adria also produce a 5.4m pvc the Adria 540 Twin

http://uk.adria-mobil.com/vans/twin+range/twin+540/

Additionally, they do a sub 5m one too, which might be of particular interest - the Adria 500 Twin:

http://uk.adria-mobil.com/vans/twin+range/twin+500/

Good luck, whatever you choose to go for.

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
Last edited:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
As others have suggested, you need to get out and about and look at as many as you can. The key considerations are to get something of a size and layout that meets your needs (otherwise you will probably end up selling it at a loss in fairly short order) and which is within your price range. Don't make too many decisions - such as about length - until you have looked at and ideally test-driven a few. Many of us set out with a definite plan in our heads and ended up buying something completely different. Best of luck for many happy years of touring in your new pride and joy. I am sure you will end up thinking that joining the motorhome community was one of the best decisions that you ever took!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
@mikebeaches, we are hoping to take delivery of a Rapido V43 sometime in May. It was a hard choice between that and a V55 but in the end the more compact size probably meets our requirements better at least for now. Hope to meet you sometime and see how you are getting on with the V68.

We only need the rear double bed and the complex gubbins for the 3rd bed will end up in the loft.

I will be sorry to see the Westy California go after 10 years of happy ownership. It is for sale on this and the T4 Forum. (Shameless plug time!)

OP
OP
M

Michael_mcr

Free Member
Apr 17, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I thought there would be more reviews available on line but i can't seem to find too many.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
@mikebeaches, we are hoping to take delivery of a Rapido V43 sometime in May. It was a hard choice between that and a V55 but in the end the more compact size probably meets our requirements better at least for now. Hope to meet you sometime and see how you are getting on with the V68.

We only need the rear double bed and the complex gubbins for the 3rd bed will end up in the loft.

I will be sorry to see the Westy California go after 10 years of happy ownership. It is for sale on this and the T4 Forum. (Shameless plug time!)
Yes, we like our V68! We originally ordered a Dreamer D58, so we could get fixed twin beds in a 6m van - unfortunately, it arrived with manual transmission when we'd specified a Comfortmatic. A V68 with the auto gearbox was available, so we settled on that - and now very happy with it. The extra length (6.4m) hasn't been an issue to date, although a little bit of care is required because of the bigger size.

Oh and we also put the stuff that makes up the third bed in the roof at home, together with the net curtains and the plain cream carpet... ;)

Hope you enjoy your new van and good luck with the sale of the VW. (y)

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

Exactly what I did 5yrs ago, and the LWB hasn't been a problem at all.

I'd go as far as saying many converters can produce a van that's superior to the Cali. But like you say, some make a poor attempt at a dogs dinner.

Circumstances change, no longer need a daily drive and the wife wants a fixed bed and bathroom facilities. But we still have to compromise as my drive will only fit a 6m van.

Hopefully we'll have a Westfalia Columbus to fill that 6m's sometime, but like you I think I'll really miss the VW and will be very sad to see it go.

Phil5556

Free Member
Aug 12, 2017
Funster No
Just signed up to keep an eye on this...
We currently have a LWB T5 but considering a new van at some point. I don't want anything bigger than 5.5m and want a shower. And lots of storage.

Tbh we'll probably end up building one ourselves but this has been good for ideas :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks very much for all the replies. My other half would not accept a longer van than 5.5 and as she drives more than I, I can't see me convincing her otherwise. I'd hope to avoid some depreciation by buying used but of course accept this as part of ownership. I guess The size and car like
Dimensions is what make the VW so popular.
There is also the cult following which pushes up the price, my last camper a vw autosleeper trophy had a separate bathroom shower room at the rear but it was very tight space, they hold their value extremely well but not sure I'd want it as my daily driver and certainly would be cramped for three people

I've had lots of vw camper vans... Many come with a lifestyle ie the vw camper shows and clubs etc many custom options which is great if you are in to that which I was once so didn't mind the premium.
These days when you compare what you can get on another make for the same money it makes you rethink

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There is also the cult following which pushes up the price, my last camper a vw autosleeper trophy had a separate bathroom shower room at the rear but it was very tight space, they hold their value extremely well but not sure I'd want it as my daily driver and certainly would be cramped for three people

I've had lots of vw camper vans... Many come with a lifestyle ie the vw camper shows and clubs etc many custom options which is great if you are in to that which I was once so didn't mind the premium.
These days when you compare what you can get on another make for the same money it makes you rethink

Yes, classic VW campers from high end converters like AS and Westfalia hold their value well and are sought after. My T4 Westy California sold recently for only about £2k less than I paid for it 10 years ago. If I could afford 2 MHs I would never have sold it. Self builds and conversions from small firms are a very different segment of the VW camper market. One for the Bus enthusiasts.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes, classic VW campers from high end converters like AS and Westfalia hold their value well and are sought after. My T4 Westy California sold recently for only about £2k less than I paid for it 10 years ago. If I could afford 2 MHs I would never have sold it. Self builds and conversions from small firms are a very different segment of the VW camper market. One for the Bus enthusiasts.
best vw campers were the jp white from sidmouth then becvame devon ,even when the moved to exeter they did good conversions .
westfalia etc were poor in comparison .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
best vw campers were the jp white from sidmouth then becvame devon ,even when the moved to exeter they did good conversions .
westfalia etc were poor in comparison .
Having over 20 in total of nearly every manufacturer I'd tend to disagree... The German conversions were always better in my opinion Westfalia left them standing

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Think the best one I had was a t4 Westfalia californian coach the long wheel Base with the fixed Hightop
The van had everything and fitted in a car park space.... Granted it didn't have the bathroom facilities but the build quality was excellent

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back