Exp
on and off since 1984
A terrible thing to happen to anyone, but at least nobody was hurt

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Shame. Used to happen a lot. Not ideal keeping fuel tank above the carburetor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
The cooling of these air cooled VW’s depended on the air stream coming in via the air intakes aft of the rear windows. If it was like the VW Variant estates of that era the cooling fan was bolted directly to the end of the crankshaft as has been known to come loose. Also standing them stationary with the engine running reduced the air flow a lot. If you had done a hot run it was advisable to run the engine down to a cooler temperature before switching off for about five minutes. I became of the issue when caught out in the middle of Zimbabwe when the hot engine gave rise to fuel vapour lock as the pump was on top of the engine in the middle of the crankcase. Got it started by flagging down someone who gave me a fast two to pull the fuel through. Fixing a loose fan requires a 36mm socket, if I recall correctly, still got it somewhere. mind you the back axle nuts require a four foot extension to a torque wrench to get them undone and done back up. Jack up the car insert the socket, drop the jack suddenly to undo. the jack was ineresting as it did not use a screw but a cam action which self locked, so you inserted the lever and pulled it off the cam to drop it. Brilliant bit of design.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This used to be a fairly common occurrence, I have over the years seen a few on fire. As has been said, the fuel tank is directly over the engine, and fuel has been known to leak from the fuel take off and run down the outside of the pipe onto a hot engine. When I had one back in the eighties I regularly inspected the union to ensure mine didn't go up in smoke.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Aren't the engines made of magnesium alloy, same as WW11 incendiary bombs ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
always worried me owning alot of these vans,had a temperature guage added and always had a few stops to let the 3rd cylinder to cool as air flow over that one was always poor,spent a good 20 years working on these as a hobby never again:giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back