Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Notice the heavily loaded rear axle!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0"]Volkswagen Beetle & Camper - road test[/ame]

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
To think when i first past my test and had my beattle i used to be lucky to fit my camping gear in it never mind having it as a 5ver.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats how that model sits anyway . always sat very high at the front. this sort of outfit si still marketed in france ,not on a swivl, its called a clip car the actual pin wt of this particular set up is only just over iookg if i remember right. i went into it years ago as a side line to my V W business in the end went the teardrop caravan route. very neat though isnt it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I thought they had stopped making Le Clip-car but someone has bought the design and it is now made by this company called Auray, the diference between the beetle one and the clip car is that on the french version you not only hitch to a roof hitch but also to a bumper towbar.

Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi chatter, you have it quite a neat system. not alot of them around but saw one this summer in roscoff. i looked t them back in the 80,s.
the mac fersonstruts put the front of the later beetles high . torsion bar much better and stronger. dont like the cv joint back ends either swinging arm better at least you could feel it going ,on the later cvjoint style you just lost it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought they had stopped making Le Clip-car but someone has bought the design and it is now made by this company called Auray, the diference between the beetle one and the clip car is that on the french version you not only hitch to a roof hitch but also to a bumper towbar.

Link Removed

how does that work then ?

hitching in two seperate points will make it rigid.....no way it could swivel with that van to car clearance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think that was the idea papajohn, with the combination being more rigid there would be no sway as the van part will follow exactly the front part so more like a motorhome and france is the country of the motorhome. Maybe these little clip-cars if they have on-board tanks can use the aires which are set up for motorhomers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back