VuQube not finding Sats (1 Viewer)

Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
Hi All,
Has anyone come across a Maxview VuQube 2 scanning for about 5 minutes then giving the error that the satellite could not be located.

The Error light and scan light are flashing simultaneously, while the Coax light stays on.

I’ve tried moving the van to different locations, the sky is clear, no obstructions nearby. I’ve also tried scanning for each of the 4 preprogrammed satellites as well with the same results.

It’s worked fine for the last 3 years.

thanks

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
OP
OP
T
Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
Hi twbm,

I've got that manual thanks.

I think tomorrow its up onto the roof to give the dome a good clean and check the cables, although a cable fault should give a different error.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I have exactly the same problem. I'm going to move the van at the weekend and will try and find a park up with good clear line of sight and have another go.

If there is a cable error, the box will alarm, if set, and will error on the coax light as you say. Mine, as yours, fires up nicely and stirs into life but never locks on.

I'm beginning to suspect the VuQube 2 needs an update to account for changes in the Astra sat maybe...?

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I should add, I've searched for advice here and other forums as well as Google but found nothing other than to check cables, reset and try again.

OP
OP
T
Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
So, this evening I've moved the van so it has a clear line of sight all around. I also checked roughly which direction the satellite should be and there was definitely no obstructions. once again I've tried all 4 pre programmed satellites.

I rechecked the Maxview website and there are no updates listed for the VuQube.

I've now contacted Maxview and will share the response so it may help someone else

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Moved the van to a much more open space, same relative location though. After 6 or 7 mins of whirring, nothing locked on as usual :(

Will have opportunities to test again next weekend as we head into Yorkshire for a week but thinking it too much of a coincidence to have never locked on:unsure:

I'll now drop Maxview an email too...

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I had the same problem with my Oyster Vision dish. Had to do a software update now it is fine.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I spoke to MaxView just now, a very helpful chap. He said that there are no updates available for the VuQube 2 which is understood. He did go on to say:
  • "Does it give a green light on coax?": Yes
  • "Can you hear it move around and try to lock on?": Yes
  • "Have you taken the cover off the dish and seen it move around as it should do a 360 and move up and down?": No
    • "Please remove the cover and try again. It may just be the cover or LNB is very dirty or a bit of crud stopping the dish from fully rotating or moving up and down. Use WD40 or silicone oil, 3in1 oil if it seems a bit reticent to move."
    • If that does not work? "Remove it (dish and box) and send it in and we will look at it. If it is a simple fault we can repair, we normally do this FOC."
I won't have time to do this until next week whilst we are away but ill give it a go.

OP
OP
T
Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
Happy result.
Have been on roof, just six cross head screws, lift dome off and find aluminium component at end of Perspex tube had become unglued and dropped off.

It’s now reglued back into place and all is working fine.

panic over👍

OP
OP
T
Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
Sorry no photos, but after undoing the six screws gently wiggle, then lift off the dome.
It’s quite obvious if that’s the problem.
I just used a hot glue gun.
I scanned to check all was working before refitting the dome.
I’ve also updated Maxview of the fault so it may help someone else in the future

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
No joy here. Everything looks to be attached and working, even makes an attempt to physically lock on (I knew roughly where the Astra sat was), and it's close but just errors out :frowny:.

Will speak to Maxview again...

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Still no joy. I "think" the dish is looking in the right location and locking onto something, it's just that the control box always gives an error. I've spoken to MaxView again and they will be calling me back tomorrow. If it helps folks, I'll keep going until I get it fixed; I have a webpage detailing the current issue here if it's of interest... (I'm aware of the filthy roof!)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Maxview suggest a potential problem with the dish main control board and advise to dismantle and send the whole thing to them for testing.

I'll give that a go...

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Just had an email conversation with MB&G Leisure, we hold a "Gold" warranty policy with them provided by our dealer. It would seem they don't cover this situation sadly, in fact, it seems they cover very little under their policy so a lesson learned and a warning to others - just pleased I did not pay for it (directly) and will certainly look elsewhere if we determine extended warranty is needed beyond this year.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Over the weekend, I removed the dish and control box and brought them home ready to be packaged up and shipped to MaxView. I thought I'd have one last poke around to see if there was anything glaringly obvious and could find nothing. I made sure everything was clean and free of debris and removed and reseated anything that could be, made up a couple of f-type cables, stuck the dish on my shed roof (our house is between the shed and the Astra Sat so was not hopeful) and switched it on. To my surprise, it worked!

I then plugged the TV in and had a go at tuning in, and it worked!

I moved the dish to as best a line of sight I could manage and tried again, and it worked!

I'll try a different spot today at some stage and see what happens...

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Different locations 1-inside the shed didn't work as I expected as minimal line of site and things in the way; 2- back outside but lower down behind the house and it still works.

I've still no idea what I've done to fix it though, other than just going over the wires and things that needed a wiggle and reseating.

🛰️ 📡 📺 :dance2:

wildfrank

Free Member
Nov 24, 2022
Carryduff, Belfast, UK
Funster No
MH
hobby siesta
Exp
15 years
Different locations 1-inside the shed didn't work as I expected as minimal line of site and things in the way; 2- back outside but lower down behind the house and it still works.

I've still no idea what I've done to fix it though, other than just going over the wires and things that needed a wiggle and reseating.

🛰️ 📡 📺 :dance2:
Hi, I’ve been having a similar problem , eveytime I remove the unit from the roof it seems to work then as soon as I move the van it’s back to the red flashing light . I know it’s been a while but has your problem been fixed ?

Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
Hi, I’ve been having a similar problem , eveytime I remove the unit from the roof it seems to work then as soon as I move the van it’s back to the red flashing light . I know it’s been a while but has your problem been fixed ?
Hi Wildfrank,

How old is your VuQube? Does it have a control box (black box with some buttons and LEDs on the front), or a power injector (small gray box with one button and one LED on it)

When you are using it on/off the roof, are you using a different coax to connect to it, and are you sure you are using the same F-connector on the VuQube in both instances?

Lee

Attachments

• CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 28
  • PI.JPG
    PI.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 28
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Yes, it seems to be fixed. We have used it successfully on a number of occasions in a number of places. Obviously, when we have a limited line of sight and generally poor reception for TV and Phones, it will not lock on but, when there is a satellite in view, it tends to work.

wildfrank

Free Member
Nov 24, 2022
Carryduff, Belfast, UK
Funster No
MH
hobby siesta
Exp
15 years
Hi Lee, thanks for replying, it was manufactured in 2019 and has the box on the left with the blue panel. I contacted max view and they told me to remove the LNB and send it to them for testing , that’s when I realised that the jubilee clip holding it in had been over tightened ( during manufacture) and all the little plastic teeth were broken so there is nothing holding the LNB in place apart from the rubber sleeve.
When I resit the LNB it locks on but as soon as I move the van it’s back to square one . Hope maybe someone else has experience of this ….
Cheers Lee

wildfrank

Free Member
Nov 24, 2022
Carryduff, Belfast, UK
Funster No
MH
hobby siesta
Exp
15 years
Yes, it seems to be fixed. We have used it successfully on a number of occasions in a number of places. Obviously, when we have a limited line of sight and generally poor reception for TV and Phones, it will not lock on but, when there is a satellite in view, it tends to work.
Thanks , mine has been hit and miss from the day we got it . At the start I just thought we were in bad spots but when you park on the coast there is nothing in the way !!! Thanks for the reply !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back