VPNs in Europe not blocked by BBC (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Have any EU residents or MHomers touring got experience of using a VPN in Europe which has not (yet) been blocked by the BBC.

If so which one, how good is it generally and how much does it cost.

Thanks in advance foe replies.

Geoff

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Use transponder.tv you can get most of the freeview/freeview channels

Personally we now very rarely watch the BBC. The quality of programmes are pretty rubbish and the news and current affairs content is really unbalanced . It is about time they were made to become self funding and pay their own way.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Yep and another benefit is that the BBC don’t get to waste and squander the fee

Deleted User
I rarely watch anything other than BBC, the radio is superb.

To answer the OP, I have used a few in the past, the last one was Pure VPN but the BBC actively track down VPN's and reconnecting regularly is necessary. Pure were one of the better ones for keeping in front of the BBC.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
It's a tricky one. Some vpns work for the a while but then the BBC finds them out and then they stop working. Then the VPN companies work out how to beat the iplayer, etc, etc. It goes round in circles.

According to reviews Nord VPN seems to be good for streaming services like iplayer but I wouldn't rely on it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
:cool:I LOVE the WONDERFUL BBC...

Listen to Radio 4, Radio 5 and World Service every day.

For live footy commentary I have to use a (free) vpn but have to clear my cache and switch off location first.

Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't.

JJ :cool:

(and, yes, I do pay towards the licence back in Blighty)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I rarely watch anything other than BBC,

Should you find yourself watching a re-run of the Royle Ramily you'll now find that the BBC Woke-Meister-in-Chief has slapped a discriminatory language warning on it. Because Jim (My Arse) Royle calls Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen a “nancy boy”.

Imagine if you hadn't been warned and stumbled across language like that in a 20 year old sitcom. The consequences can only be imagined.

Thank you BBC for looking after us,

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It's a tricky one. Some vpns work for the a while but then the BBC finds them out and then they stop working. Then the VPN companies work out how to beat the iplayer, etc, etc. It goes round in circles.

According to reviews Nord VPN seems to be good for streaming services like iplayer but I wouldn't rely on it
I have used Nord for the last 5 months and streamed iPlayer successfully,however, l find it’s better to use it on a either a Tablet or Phone that you do not use for Emails etc as Google et al don’t recognise the Server and it flags up on your account resulting in constantly having to reset your password Or not receiving your mail.

Deleted User
Should you find yourself watching a re-run of the Royle Ramily you'll now find that the BBC Woke-Meister-in-Chief has slapped a discriminatory language warning on it. Because Jim (My Arse) Royle calls Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen a “nancy boy”.

Imagine if you hadn't been warned and stumbled across language like that in a 20 year old sitcom. The consequences can only be imagined.

Thank you BBC for looking after us,
Does that not happen on the other channels?
I watched some re runs of the Vicar of Dibley and Blackadder recently on iplayer, same silly warnings.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Does that not happen on the other channels?
Vicar of Dibley and Blackadder

Both of those are BBC programs

It might happen at other channels, I've not seen it. Those other channels have to earn their money and for them waste it by trawling through 20 years old sit coms for utterance of the word 'bum' would be improbable. The BBC however who get £3.5Bn free, every year, probably pay someone who's sole job is to discover ways to waste money.

Deleted User
Both of those are BBC programs
I know that's why I watched them on iplayer.
I did edit my post in an attempt to make that clear.
It was a genuine question as I do not watch the bilge on most of the other commercial channels.
Not saying that there is no bilge on the BBC.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Use transponder.tv you can get most of the freeview/freeview channels

Personally we now very rarely watch the BBC. The quality of programmes are pretty rubbish and the news and current affairs content is really unbalanced . It is about time they were made to become self funding and pay their own way.
Thanks.
I looked at transponder .tv's advert and I may try the 3-day freee trial as it seems to only way to see the range of channels.

I do not want to watch much TV but some times it is annoying not to be able to see something recommended on iPlayer.

Geoff

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Thanks.
I looked at transponder .tv's advert and I may try the 3-day freee trial as it seems to only way to see the range of channels.

I do not want to watch much TV but some times it is annoying not to be able to see something recommended on iPlayer.

Geoff
Good luck with it . It’s about the best service we have found whilst outside of the U.K.

It’s useful in the motorhome where we use it with an iPad with an Apple lightening to HDMI adapter into our Avtex TV

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I have been using “ watch uk tv abroad “ for the last 10 years . It’s worked for me constantly in UK/ Europe/Australia and costs around £30 for six months

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks.

Geoff
Can you buy or get hold of a UK sourced sim card? For limited hours of viewing a UK PAYG card might work for you. I have been able to access iPlayer in mainland Europe using one without a VPN although for obvious reasons I haven't been able to test if this still works.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Tried, many VPN in past years all work fine until they are detected, I installed a new antivirus a few days ago, Norton,this time, it came with a vpn extention......they are now selling this Norton VPN....this worked...
DBK suggested a sim card UK based, I had this as my hotspot router, the best option I have ever had, until Vodafone told me I was a naughty boy and an excessive roamer, fancy that....don't have this service anymore....

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I have expressVPN; it's hit and miss regarding streaming but streaming is not the only reason to use it. Netflix is always accessible.
Expatvpn is being promoted in these parts "guaranteed" access to UK streaming services - but not Netflix!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back