VPN (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
As an aside, iPlayer now works without the need for a VPN. This may be because I've registered and entered my address details and they've checked I have a TV license. It may not work for everyone. :)
Personally, I'm not too worried about not using a VPN. Mobile banking I do on my phone with a direct broadband connection, no WiFi, public or otherwise. Of course the phone could get infected when I do use WiFi but unless I've been negligent I would expect the bank to cover any fraud. The latest Kracker worry has already been patched by Microsoft apparently and Android should follow soon.
Life is too short to worry about everything. :)

iplayer only works with a UK based sim, still need a VPN for local wifi connections or local data sims in mifi's.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry but how do you mean registered? Certainly have with BBC when at home. Will try again tomorrow when have decent Wi-fi connection. Really appreciate everyone’s help.
I can't remember now but some time this year iPlayer offered me the option to "register" which involved entering a few details. On reflection this didn't go down to the detail of my specific address.
I think @matamoros has it, with a UK based sim it now works. Of course, this may have nothing to do with BBC generosity and more to do with the cancellation of roaming charges. Perhaps the BBC can't now work out where you are?
For the moment......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Again thanks. Yes I realise that I will need a VPN when I get to long stay site and use a Spanish data card. Using my mifi with its 3 data should hopefully last until then as I will be downloading rather than streaming. I remember filling a form in for using iPlayer about the time the BBC started saying that you needed a licence even if you only used a tablet or similar.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I have signed up for a 3 day free trial with Nord VPN but unlikely to sign up on subscription. I have contacted them about several issues and their response has been quite slow at times and some questions not answered. My broadband speed at home has dropped from 38 mbps to between 7 - 15 mbps.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I am delaying until I get to longer stay site in Spain & will then know what type of data card etc I can use. I did contact Express VPN twice and had very quick response and answered all the questions I asked. Didn’t realised one would slow things that much, I presume that will be same with whichever you choose.

Deleted User
Didn’t realised one would slow things that much, I presume that will be same with whichever you choose.

That's been my experience with the 3 that I have tried, Zenmate,PureVPN and Tunnelbear

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
I paid for PureVPN. It was rubbish. I spent many hours talking to their helpline, trying to make it work, from various countries in Europe. Eventually I did get it to connect for a few minutes, then I moved elsewhere and it never worked again. They did refund my money eventually but the amount of stress it gave me wasn't worth the 22 US dollars for two months' so-called service.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Tried Tunnelbear to get Nowtv and BBC iplayer working while in Spain and it does, paid £36 for a year's subscription.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I paid for PureVPN. It was rubbish.

Yes I tried Pure but they didn't work on the systems I wanted despite their original promises.
So they were dumped - refund received - and I went Express which works just fine for me.

Deleted User
I have been using Tunnelbear for 12 months but for the last few months BBC iplayer has detected that I was out of the country, still allowed me to download though which is what I do mostly anyway.

I decided to try another VPN and decided on NordVPN, couldn't get iplayer to work at all so back to Tunnelbear, however I decided to try disabling Adblock and now iplayer will stream as well as download.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Slickvpn is pretty good, plenty of locations to choose from and well below the radar as far as BBC etc are concerned.

Libertyshield from Scothost is a router based VPN, using dedicated Microtic routers (Tomato/DD-WRT), very smooth user experience and transparent to user

However, ITV and BBC are both starting to detect multiple users on shared IP addresses , as are Netflicks, so I anticipate forthcoming problems

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
VPN for... ?
  • Security - I use BTGuard for all downloads
  • UK Location Spoofing - happy to use free Hola.
  • No need to pretend I'm in the UK, as I am :)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Interesting stuff...I have used various vpn servers over the past few years, some good, some not so....however I can get BBC iplayer on my current vpn. PURE VPN...but my problem now is getting access to Amazon Prime UK...some videos are location blocked, anyone had similar problems with this, and any idea how to get around it.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
OK. Last couple of questions please. We are now in Spain, on site and will be here until March. I have some good Wi-fi so now need to look properly at setting up a VPN as have had limited success with app methods of watching TV. I was on the point of enrolling but was concerned when the message said it was going to change settings? To enable it. If I do enrol Can I switch it off/ not use VPN at my will. ie turn it on just for tv if it slows everything else up too much or is connectivity controlled by the provider? Thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
OK. Last couple of questions please. We are now in Spain, on site and will be here until March. I have some good Wi-fi so now need to look properly at setting up a VPN as have had limited success with app methods of watching TV. I was on the point of enrolling but was concerned when the message said it was going to change settings? To enable it. If I do enrol Can I switch it off/ not use VPN at my will. ie turn it on just for tv if it slows everything else up too much or is connectivity controlled by the provider? Thanks
I'm glad you asked those questions @Madmag, as the answers will be interesting to me too. Thanks. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP

Deleted User
When I tried Nord vpn for a 3 day free trial I had the option of connecting via VPN or connect as normal.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
I have signed up for a 3 day free trial with Nord VPN but unlikely to sign up on subscription. I have contacted them about several issues and their response has been quite slow at times and some questions not answered. My broadband speed at home has dropped from 38 mbps to between 7 - 15 mbps.
Unfortunately most, if not indeed all, VPN's will slow your speed to around 10-20% of your normal speed , it's a "price" we pay for privacy or pretending to be somewhere else. I use Nord and bought the two year deal , couple of hiccups but working well now. They are offering three years now for just over two dollars a month.
Just make sure you don't get an ipleak , google lets you check and tells you how to stop it , dependent on which internet you use , Firefox , Ios ,etc.
Hope you get one sorted.
John

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I switch on Tunnelbear when I need it, used it tonight for BBC iplayer and then logged off.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’m on nord vpn in Spain now. I am using MiFi with 3 data, and am happy with the speed. I can access every site as if I was in the uk, and can easily turn it off if I want to. I paid for one month and will probably renew for the second month we are away. Much cheaper if you take the 3 year deal, but don’t need it at home I don’t think, so.. Happy with it so far.

Deleted User
I’m on nord vpn in Spain now. I am using MiFi with 3 data, and am happy with the speed. I can access every site as if I was in the uk, and can easily turn it off if I want to. I paid for one month and will probably renew for the second month we are away. Much cheaper if you take the 3 year deal, but don’t need it at home I don’t think, so.. Happy with it so far.

If you are using a 3 PAYG data sim I think you will find that you do not need a VPN to access UK TV, that has been my experience in France, Spain and Portugal.

Because you are using a UK based sim the system thinks you are in the UK.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I use Slick VPN, as recommended, however, the blooming BBC still know that I am out of the UK, whereas, ITV, CH4 & CH5 don't. :(

Is there something else I need to do perhaps, in the way of tweeking? I have changed the connection many times, with no difference, and all are UK connections. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Deleted User
The BBC seem to be getting good at detecting VPN's and then blocking them, I have had the same problem with different VPN's.

Try clearing the history/cache etc, turn off adblocker and keep reconnecting to the VPN, sometimes several goes needed, each time the VPN should come up with a different one.

I use Pure VPN which has various options, one of which is to stream BBC, strangely this rarely worked but I could get the BBC iplayer to work using the option for ITV.

Basically all I can suggest is keep fiddling until it works, I am presuming that Slick is a subscription service, none of the free ones that I tried in the past worked for iplayer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back