VPN (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Following a suggestion from Gromett I am starting a new thread to ask about VPN's. There is a lot of information on-line but how do you choose a VPN provider as some are offered free and some are chargeable.
All I am looking for is something to improve security.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Some vpns are so slow that sites time out before you can connect. Tunnel Bear is very user friendly and has fun graphics but the free version doesn't always work with some https sites (not tried the paid for version). I suspect the problem is that you start with an already pathetic site wifi download speed and then add in another level of encryption and two laps of the planet before reaching your chosen site. I expect there is someone on here who will be able to explain/solve these issues.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just tried the link posted by Gellyneck only to find it is blocked by the C&MHC. Something about content filtering.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I found the link worked okay. A lot of information and a helpful website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Another who uses Tunnel Bear because of its ease of use and relatively good value, however, as noted, they all need a half decent internet connection

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I found the link worked okay. A lot of information and a helpful website.
I expect the link would work fine at home. Just puzzled why the C&MHC should feel the need to block it.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If using site wifi most sites with sophisticated equipment are able to automatically detect streaming and throttle speeds via their routers/firewalls.

I can recommend Ivacy as a good paid (low cost) VPN provider. Most of the free ones are useless.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I too am with ExpressVPN. Had a VPN for added security but it's also handy for accessing UK sites when in Europe.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for posting this question. I had been asking about UKTV in Europe and had come to the conclusion I needed a VPN. Having read about security issues I am even more convinced. Had thought about one of the free ones like Tunnel Bear and had even got as far as downloading the app. Looking at all the comments on this thread it would seem I would be better paying for one. Also looks like Express VPN will probably win as it is mainly so I can use I player. The added security is a real bonus. Thanks to all for your advise.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thank you for all the contributions to this thread.
Reading the replies it seems to be a choice between Express VPN and Nord VPN. Not yet sure which one to go for so any more comments would be appreciated.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The VPN I use is Hotspot Shield (HSS). The free version pipes through a server in USA. That's OK for security issues, and streaming US stuff, but no good for Iplayer etc.

The paid version allows you to choose the server. There is one in UK, in the London area. Iplayer works fine through that. There's a number of servers to choose from in different countries. You can swap countries in a couple of clicks.

I use HSS for normal web browsing. When not in UK, this is useful. Otherwise the sites know your location and bring up the local site in the local language automatically. Great if you speak Portugese, Hungarian and Danish, but I prefer the option of English.

Also the standard BBC web site is different depending on where it thinks you are. So I use the VPN to get the standard UK version wherever I am.

The latest news is that Wifi encryption WPA2 has been cracked, so no connection is now secure, until it's fixed. But it's a very fundamental flaw, in the protocol itself, not just a software bug. Looks like it will take quite some time to fix. Using a VPN adds a layer of encryption, so your web browsing, keystrokes and passwords are safer.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Which are you leaning towards @Borderland. I have asked a couple of questions of Express VPN and had prompt and helpful replies so tending towards them. Not sure why I haven’t taken the plunge yet though!!!?!?!

OP
OP

Deleted User
Yes, Express VPN is favourite at the moment but Nord VPN is cheaper.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, until I looked again I hadn’t realised by how much. Deciding between the 6 month plan to see how it goes and to cover whilst we are away from home or just get the offer that Nord are doing which works out the best deal. It’s just taking the plunge!

OP
OP

Deleted User
I will let you go first and you can let me know how you get on. :)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Coward!!I am definitely going to
Sign on to one of them tomorrow but have been supporting the French wine industry tonight, plus on a French campsite with poor Wi-fi even my trusty mi-fi keeps cutting out. I want to wait until move from here tomorrow and have a better connection.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I am still favouring Express VPN despite the extra cost and they give a 30 day money back guarantee.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As an aside, iPlayer now works without the need for a VPN. This may be because I've registered and entered my address details and they've checked I have a TV license. It may not work for everyone. :)
Personally, I'm not too worried about not using a VPN. Mobile banking I do on my phone with a direct broadband connection, no WiFi, public or otherwise. Of course the phone could get infected when I do use WiFi but unless I've been negligent I would expect the bank to cover any fraud. The latest Kracker worry has already been patched by Microsoft apparently and Android should follow soon.
Life is too short to worry about everything. :)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I am in France and tried to use I player but was denied access. I am using a 3 data card through a mifi unit here rather than my home registered O2 account which I use on my phone so don’t know if that is the difference. By choice I wouldn’t bother with a VPN but it seems the only solution at present.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
O
I am in France and tried to use I player but was denied access. I am using a 3 data card through a mifi unit here rather than my home registered O2 account which I use on my phone so don’t know if that is the difference. By choice I wouldn’t bother with a VPN but it seems the only solution at present.
Odd, it works for me using a MiFi on both Three and Vodafone. Have you registered?

Screenshot taken of a random program running a few moments ago in France:

Screenshot_20171017-220748.png

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry but how do you mean registered? Certainly have with BBC when at home. Will try again tomorrow when have decent Wi-fi connection. Really appreciate everyone’s help.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
A massive Thanks to @DBK, I tried today and you are correct. I could download missed episodes off iPlayer. I realised that I had been trying to access it on campsite Wi-fi which obviously was French based. It works on my Mifi in which I have a 3 data card. This should do me for the limited amount I want to watch but can you tell me how much data, on average does an hour or so’s download take. Is there a rough figure as I only have the card I am using and one other so don’t want to use all my data up. Thanks.

Deleted User
A massive Thanks to @DBK, I tried today and you are correct. I could download missed episodes off iPlayer. I realised that I had been trying to access it on campsite Wi-fi which obviously was French based. It works on my Mifi in which I have a 3 data card. This should do me for the limited amount I want to watch but can you tell me how much data, on average does an hour or so’s download take. Is there a rough figure as I only have the card I am using and one other so don’t want to use all my data up. Thanks.

An hours download is around 650 Mb, don't know about streaming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back