VPN

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Borderland, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Following a suggestion from Gromett I am starting a new thread to ask about VPN's. There is a lot of information on-line but how do you choose a VPN provider as some are offered free and some are chargeable.
    All I am looking for is something to improve security.

2. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Ratings:
    +16,387
    Well, I use express VPN. It does have a charge but I like to think that it is more secure than something that is free.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  3. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,553
    • Like it Like it x 1
  4. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +965
    Some vpns are so slow that sites time out before you can connect. Tunnel Bear is very user friendly and has fun graphics but the free version doesn't always work with some https sites (not tried the paid for version). I suspect the problem is that you start with an already pathetic site wifi download speed and then add in another level of encryption and two laps of the planet before reaching your chosen site. I expect there is someone on here who will be able to explain/solve these issues.

5. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +965
    Just tried the link posted by Gellyneck only to find it is blocked by the C&MHC. Something about content filtering.

6. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Ratings:
    +3,270
    I found the link worked okay. A lot of information and a helpful website.

7. Reliant

Reliant Funster

Ratings:
    +843
    Another who uses Tunnel Bear because of its ease of use and relatively good value, however, as noted, they all need a half decent internet connection

8. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,822
    I have Nordvpn as an option to VPN through my home router.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +965
    I expect the link would work fine at home. Just puzzled why the C&MHC should feel the need to block it.

10. Ninjabob

Ninjabob Funster

Ratings:
    +371
    If using site wifi most sites with sophisticated equipment are able to automatically detect streaming and throttle speeds via their routers/firewalls.

I can recommend Ivacy as a good paid (low cost) VPN provider. Most of the free ones are useless.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Dazzles

Dazzles Funster

Ratings:
    +382
    I’ll second Express VPN. Excellent software and workable platform. Their customer service is very good also.

• Like it Like it x 2
  12. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,675
    I too am with ExpressVPN. Had a VPN for added security but it's also handy for accessing UK sites when in Europe.

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,553
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  14. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Ratings:
    +380
    Thanks for posting this question. I had been asking about UKTV in Europe and had come to the conclusion I needed a VPN. Having read about security issues I am even more convinced. Had thought about one of the free ones like Tunnel Bear and had even got as far as downloading the app. Looking at all the comments on this thread it would seem I would be better paying for one. Also looks like Express VPN will probably win as it is mainly so I can use I player. The added security is a real bonus. Thanks to all for your advise.

15. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Thank you for all the contributions to this thread.
    Reading the replies it seems to be a choice between Express VPN and Nord VPN. Not yet sure which one to go for so any more comments would be appreciated.

16. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Ratings:
    +425
    The VPN I use is Hotspot Shield (HSS). The free version pipes through a server in USA. That's OK for security issues, and streaming US stuff, but no good for Iplayer etc.

The paid version allows you to choose the server. There is one in UK, in the London area. Iplayer works fine through that. There's a number of servers to choose from in different countries. You can swap countries in a couple of clicks.

I use HSS for normal web browsing. When not in UK, this is useful. Otherwise the sites know your location and bring up the local site in the local language automatically. Great if you speak Portugese, Hungarian and Danish, but I prefer the option of English.

Also the standard BBC web site is different depending on where it thinks you are. So I use the VPN to get the standard UK version wherever I am.

The latest news is that Wifi encryption WPA2 has been cracked, so no connection is now secure, until it's fixed. But it's a very fundamental flaw, in the protocol itself, not just a software bug. Looks like it will take quite some time to fix. Using a VPN adds a layer of encryption, so your web browsing, keystrokes and passwords are safer.

17. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Ratings:
    +425
    Sorry, didn't notice @Grommett's thread on this. Even the latest news is old news on MHF.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  18. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Ratings:
    +380
    Which are you leaning towards @Borderland. I have asked a couple of questions of Express VPN and had prompt and helpful replies so tending towards them. Not sure why I haven’t taken the plunge yet though!!!?!?!

19. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Yes, Express VPN is favourite at the moment but Nord VPN is cheaper.

20. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Ratings:
    +380
    Yes, until I looked again I hadn’t realised by how much. Deciding between the 6 month plan to see how it goes and to cover whilst we are away from home or just get the offer that Nord are doing which works out the best deal. It’s just taking the plunge!