Voltage reading (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The control unit on my Autocruise Starburst, even when switched off, still displays info to scroll through, including voltage at cab and hab batteries. Today the leisure battery was reading 12.7 volts - but when I switched on the control unit, it went down immediately to 12.3 volts. Any idea why? There was nothing switched on, so as far as I can see the only additional current drain was the red LED on the control unit to show I'd switched it on!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
solar panel maybe, but in anycase if you have not been using it sounds like a duff battery or one in need of a full charge, better start reaching for your wallet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
The control unit on my Autocruise Starburst, even when switched off, still displays info to scroll through, including voltage at cab and hab batteries. Today the leisure battery was reading 12.7 volts - but when I switched on the control unit, it went down immediately to 12.3 volts. Any idea why? There was nothing switched on, so as far as I can see the only additional current drain was the red LED on the control unit to show I'd switched it on!

0.5 volt would not worry the meter will be +\- 0.5 volt

If you have a drain. Measure it over a 12 hour period

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
No battery master or solar panel. First leisure battery is 6 months old, had second fitted a couple of weeks ago. Slightly worried since reading in a previous thread that [give or take] a reading of 12.7 was fully charged, 12.3 was 3/4 charged. Or thereabouts. Either way it seems a big drop for no reason!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
No battery master or solar panel. First leisure battery is 6 months old, had second fitted a couple of weeks ago. Slightly worried since reading in a previous thread that [give or take] a reading of 12.7 was fully charged, 12.3 was 3/4 charged. Or thereabouts. Either way it seems a big drop for no reason!

12.3v is nearer to just 1/3 charged - if the control panel is to be believed. Have you taken actual readings with a multimeter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
No - but when I was having the second battery fitted the technician said the voltmeter was reading accurately. The batteries may well not be up to full charge, but it seemed anomalous for the displayed voltage to drop just by switching on the control panel...?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
No - but when I was having the second battery fitted the technician said the voltmeter was reading accurately. The batteries may well not be up to full charge, but it seemed anomalous for the displayed voltage to drop just by switching on the control panel...?

Just a thought, but when the control panel's switched off is the voltage it shows maybe the 'last recorded' voltage before it was switched off? Or does it actually show changing voltage readings while switched off?

My thinking is that if it only shows an unchanging 'remembered' voltage when off, then the act of switching it on would kick it into giving the current (forgive the pun! :RollEyes: ) voltage reading, which might have dropped over time due to some drain or battery fault rather than just the act of switching on the control panel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back