Volkswagen Transporter 2370cc Diesel Automatic (1 Viewer)

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Seen an ad for a van I quite fancy. Anyone have any experience / thoughts on the base vehicle ?

I have never driven an auto, but the 2.4l 5 cylinder diesel is a gem, especially the turbo. I did 100,000 miles in the TDi version, and it never needed any work, except routine servicing.

Highly recommended

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
I have a 56 plate transporter 2.5 tdi 4 motion as a works van, excellent van just keeps going. my only gripe is the seat is not that comfortable but other than that very good van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have always been led to believe these are a very reliable piece of kit from friends, but latest reports I have been hearing is that the overall reliability has gone down from their previous very high standard. Can't give a definite first hand opinion just reports by people I trust.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
This is the 1994 version. It has done 38000 miles and has a Autotrail Apache sat on top of it.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
This is the 1994 version. It has done 38000 miles and has a Autotrail Apache sat on top of it.

The ones that I heard poor reports on were new prior to that only good.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Well I have a 99 vw auto minibus T4 model and its now on 149654 miles has always been very reliable, even down to the fact that it recently stood for 18mths on a sorn and when put back on the road past its mot with just an advisory on the load sensor. Mine is the 2.5 tdi engine though.Look after them and they look after you we have used mine to go to and from spain loaded to the gills on three occasions so far, and it was brought out of retirement in order to carry my mothers disability scooter when i took her on holiday earlier this year.

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Volkswagon transporter 2370cc

Hi, I have a VW 1994 2.4 diesel transporter. Had a full service and all belts changed and goes like a dream.

From what I heard, they go on forever, but you will get out of it what you put into it.
I always have vehicles swerviced when due and use the upgraded diesel.

Personally would recommend it.

Let us know how you get on,

S.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Not run in. Well OK, just. Probably another 200K left in it.

Though you should check for time limited servicing. I'll bet ( but not sure ) VW don't have to fan belt intervals of a Fiat.

I have seen the odd old VW based MH, looked solid.

And by now all the teething troubles are well out of the way.

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
And by now all the teething troubles are well out of the way.

They might be due to start falling out, like mine :ROFLMAO:

Also concerned that it may be a bit short, (20.8) as looking at pics it doesn't seem to have any seats between cab and end lounge which would be a long way to shout while driving. But may well go and look at it.

Unless Peter's dementia is getting worse :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Also concerned that it may be a bit short, (20.8) as looking at pics it doesn't seem to have any seats between cab and end lounge which would be a long way to shout while driving.

I'm afraid MHs are noisy things, well ours is, you can't talk from cab to back, you shout. The layout damps the sound in the cab area. Your pots and pans finish it off behind, even when we've loads of padding to stop it.

Someone has already suggested an intercom. Sorted.

Ours is 5630 long, does for two. Just. But we can get almost anywhere.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I think it's always a problem motorhome length, I know I would have liked to go longer but we do like to get into small places and down narrow lanes, with the wife being disabled had to pick a van to be able to do this.

We had a van conversion on a Renault Master prior to this and could get anywhere with it but had to give it up as it was a tad too narrow for comfort.

I guess it's part of the trade off, nothings perfect.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back