Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We have a cello traveller TV and currently stream it on my Vodafone sim. However, whilst I have read on here that peop!e get good coverage with Vodafone we are finding the signal not strong enough throughout many places in France.

We don't watch many films I just want to be able to get the odd iplayer programme for rainy days.
my question is would a mi fi solve the problem or do I need something else?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Don't forget that with Vodafone you can manually roam onto any network when in Europe - so perform a manual network selection on your device (presume a phone?) and see if another network provides better coverage. This may take a little bit of time to search and connect, test and perhaps repeat as the process is slow, but usually, an alternative provider will have a faster connection.

There is no real benefit in just having just a MiFi device over a (decent) mobile phone handset in terms of cellular performance unless you intend to connect that MiFi to an external antenna at some point which is where the performance difference can be significant. I would say I rarely hear of our customers having issues streaming TV in France and we're usually the first to know at 7:30 when a certain soap is on!

I would say I don't know much about the Cello TV, but you tend to find that 'Smart TV's tend to not hold the same sort of video buffer as a tablet or even a Firestick. So do try and stream on another device and/or make sure the quality is turned down as low as possible on the stream you are watching.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Assuming you are using a phone try putting it near a window or under a rooflight.

Try changing provider. In France Vodafone should work with SFR and Orange. One usually works better than the other but it isn't the same one each time. :)

A mifi with an external aerial will work almost anywhere in my experience but try a mifi on its own first. Make sure to buy one with two antenna connections if you can as this leaves open the option of adding a good antenna later. Something like the Huawei 5577.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m just trying Vodafone pay as you go at the moment, not for streaming, just normal data stuff and I haven’t got 4G yet and that’s around St.Noets area so I may not stay with them.

OP
OP
Sucoz

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for the advice everyone - it usually chooses SFR and I had assumed that it would automatically choose the best option, so will bear that in mind. I don't understand Addie how I turn the 'quality as low as possible on what I'm streaming' i looked on the internet but couldn't really follow it. We have found that sometimes the iPad work's better than the TV.
Anyway tonight I turned all other devices off and it was fine, so will continue experimenting.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I think SFR is Vodaphone's preferred provider in France and automatically connects to them. I found it all but impossible to stream tv on the fire stick but after manually selecting Orange F it worked perfectly for 10 weeks

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I don't understand Addie how I turn the 'quality as low as possible on what I'm streaming' i looked on the internet but couldn't really follow it.
I guess Addie is suggesting you try streaming at Standard Definition (SD) rather than high definition (HD) as the lower quality image requires less bandwidth

OP
OP
Sucoz

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Gerry mcg, haven't watched any tv lately, too hot in France, but will bear it in mind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back